Re: BCD-1 CD Player Reviews?
« Reply #300 on: 24 Oct 2008, 07:26 am »
originally posted by alexone:
hi audio 1!

what player do you used to listen to?

al.

My current point of reference is a McIntosh MCD-201

audio 1

well, you own a high quality player already. depending on what you think that your player is not able to do you should give the BCD-1 a listen first i think. as a BCD-1 owner i can only agree with all the positive opinions about the sound posted here. your player is well done for sure and in this case a comparison and last but not least the 'trust your ears' fact might be the best thing to do.

al.

ed h

« Reply #301 on: 28 Oct 2008, 07:08 pm »
i'm replying in regards to the vinyl vs. cd shootout.
michael fremer from 'stereophile' has been pushing records over cd's for years, and i have no problem with that. however, when he does play records and ooh's and aah's over them, the cartridge alone that he uses is twice the price of a bcd-1. forget the price of the turntable; it would take a second mortgage to buy one of those.
i have a decent analogue set-up at home--a denon turntable and ortophon cartridge. the denon i've had since the early 80's, the orthophon is fairly new. i still have quite a bit of vinyl that i play,and it sounds acceptable, nothing to write home about, and definitely not involving.
i believe cd's got a bad rap because early on they were not mastered correctly, some were very boomy and the high end was terrible. since the early 90's, cd mastering has improved, so it's became the source equipment's responsibility to involve the listener along with the rest of the electronics in the chain.
imo,i've always had good electronics because i use mac pre-amp and amp. the weakness was always the player. at the time i couldn't afford a mac cd player;i was close to purchasing one, but then i discovered the bcd-1. no more source problems.
one last thing, i played some older cd's that sounded very boomy on previous cd players i've owned; not so with the bryston. i believe the reason behind this is that the bcd-1 doesn't add warmth to the sound, where my other cd players did. those others being a mission, marantz, and an adcom 750.
i believe, based on my own ears, that the bcd-1 is about as neutral as a cd player can be.
because so many of us music lovers own hundreds to thousands of cd's, i want to thank bryston again for creating a machine that puts to rest the rumor that cd's sound inherently bad.
i even think that vinyl snob, mr. fremer, might, surprisingly, be impressed.

alexone

• Anthony Bower, Stan Rybbert, John Stoneborough
« Reply #302 on: 3 Nov 2008, 11:20 am »

...if anyone is interested:

there is a BCD-1 available on ebay. the 'buy now' price is 1995$ US.

al.

audio 1

« Reply #303 on: 8 Nov 2008, 02:11 am »
James,

What is the current time frame for BCD-1 production?  I have one on order and I am really looking forward to receiving it. 

Thank You-

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #304 on: 8 Nov 2008, 03:01 am »
James,

What is the current time frame for BCD-1 production?  I have one on order and I am really looking forward to receiving it. 

Thank You-

Hi Audio 1

About 10 days.  What dealer did you order from? I will try to speed it up for you.

james

audio 1

« Reply #305 on: 8 Nov 2008, 01:45 pm »
Originally posted by James Tanner:
Hi Audio 1

About 10 days.  What dealer did you order from? I will try to speed it up for you.

james

Thank you very much, it was ordered from The Audio Architect in LaJolla, CA.

Buddy

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #306 on: 11 Nov 2008, 08:54 pm »
Hi All,

Just got this from Stereophile Magazine:

"Hello James.

We've had to hold back our review of the BCD-1 CD player for a couple of months, but the good news is we'd now like to feature it on the cover of our February 2009 issue. 

We'll need an additional unit (in silver finish, please) sent to our photographer."

mr_bill

« Reply #307 on: 11 Nov 2008, 10:06 pm »
Wow.  Congrats!

denjo

« Reply #308 on: 12 Nov 2008, 12:26 am »
Congrats to James and the Bryston team for making it to the front page of Stereophile! I am sure the Review will be excellent, otherwise they won't have put the BCD-1 in their front cover!

Best Regards
Dennis

ed h

« Reply #309 on: 21 Nov 2008, 06:26 pm »
hello mr. tanner,

i have a question for you.
last night i fed a cd to the bcd-1 and after the drawer closed, i heard a whirring noise and then the error message came up. i tried the same cd in another cd player  and the same thing( noise and all) happened. i didn't see any obvious damage on the store bought cd, so i thought why not try it on my cheap walkman. lo and behold, it played perfectly. the only thing i perceive that's different between the walkman and my other two  cd players is that with the walkman, one must clamp the cd to the center spinner. the center hole on the cd looked normal, so i'm kind of perplexed on what the problem is. is it possible my $40.00 walkman has better error correction than my other much more expensive players?
any help would be appreciated.

rob80b

« Reply #310 on: 24 Nov 2008, 01:56 pm »
hello mr. tanner,

i have a question for you.
last night i fed a cd to the bcd-1 and after the drawer closed, i heard a whirring noise and then the error message came up. i tried the same cd in another cd player  and the same thing( noise and all) happened. i didn't see any obvious damage on the store bought cd, so i thought why not try it on my cheap walkman. lo and behold, it played perfectly. the only thing i perceive that's different between the walkman and my other two  cd players is that with the walkman, one must clamp the cd to the center spinner. the center hole on the cd looked normal, so i'm kind of perplexed on what the problem is. is it possible my $40.00 walkman has better error correction than my other much more expensive players?
any help would be appreciated.

Contrary to popular opinion I’ve had a few instances over the years where the more accurate players where less forgiving to playback dirty or defective disc.
Portable and lower end players are not as critical at retrieving the last bit of data on the disc and so just fill in the blanks and continuing playing.

ed h

« Reply #311 on: 24 Nov 2008, 03:32 pm »
thanks for the input rob.
the retailer that i purchased the defective disc from is going to send me a replacement; so see what
happens.
everyday the bcd-1 sounds better, but, also, everyday, it seems like i learn something new about it.
first of all, the bcd-1 can not be programmed  to play selected tracks on a cd. is this common with more esoteric players.
another thing came to my attention yesterday. i still make my own cd-r's with a dedicated cd recorder. using the coaxial digital out on the bcd-1, i noticed that although there was no problem recording the music, the track selection was not being transmitted by the bryston.  :(
anyone have a clue why?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #312 on: 24 Nov 2008, 03:50 pm »
the retailer that i purchased the defective disc from is going to send me a replacement; so see what
happens.
everyday the bcd-1 sounds better, but, also, everyday, it seems like i learn something new about it.
first of all, the bcd-1 can not be programmed  to play selected tracks on a cd. is this common with more esoteric players.
another thing came to my attention yesterday. i still make my own cd-r's with a dedicated cd recorder. using the coaxial digital out on the bcd-1, i noticed that although there was no problem recording the music, the track selection was not being transmitted by the bryston.  :(
anyone have a clue why?

Hi Ed,

The BCD-1's SPDIF out does not included any Data info - it only outputs the Audio bitstream.

james

ed h

« Reply #313 on: 24 Nov 2008, 05:59 pm »
thanks james for the quick response.

i'm fairly sure the bryston will receive high marks from 'stereophile' for it's remarkable sound, and that's the main reason for my purchase.
however, it appears the folks at bryston made the decision that the bcd-1 would not be used for helping to create cd'r's.
lacking both track programming and data retrieval from it's digital output, that would be my first conclusion.
has anyone commented on this or am i the first?

but again, i purchased it for the sound and, so far, that has not been disappointing.

one last thing; recently i fed the bcd-1 what i consider one of the toughest cd's to sound correct.
this cd is a test for one's complete system, and is often used by 'stereophile' when reviewing high-priced
equipment(do they review any other kind?). the cd is emmylou harris's "wrecking ball." on my previous cd player,the bass laid down by daryl johnson, malcolm burns, and brian blades pretty much masked ms. harris's sweet, angelic voice. with the bryston, the immense bass was more defined and emmylou's voice sounded like only emmylou can sound. it passed the "wrecking ball" test with flying colors. by being a neutral sounding player, it discourages boomy bass more so than a warm sounding unit.at least that's my theory, and i'm sticking to it.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #314 on: 24 Nov 2008, 06:03 pm »
thanks james for the quick response.

i'm fairly sure the bryston will receive high marks from 'stereophile' for it's remarkable sound, and that's the main reason for my purchase.
however, it appears the folks at bryston made the decision that the bcd-1 would not be used for helping to create cd'r's.
lacking both track programming and data retrieval from it's digital output, that would be my first conclusion.
has anyone commented on this or am i the first?

but again, i purchased it for the sound and, so far, that has not been disappointing.

one last thing; recently i fed the bcd-1 what i consider one of the toughest cd's to sound correct.
this cd is a test for one's complete system, and is often used by 'stereophile' when reviewing high-priced
equipment(do they review any other kind?). the cd is emmylou harris's "wrecking ball." on my previous cd player,the bass laid down by daryl johnson, malcolm burns, and brian blades pretty much masked ms. harris's sweet, angelic voice. with the bryston, the immense bass was more defined and emmylou's voice sounded like only emmylou can sound. it passed the "wrecking ball" test with flying colors. by being a neutral sounding player, it discourages boomy bass more so than a warm sounding unit.at least that's my theory, and i'm sticking to it.

Hi Ed,

Your the first so it is not something that has come up before.

The Stereophile review should be excellent: as a manufacturer you always know good things are going to be said when the reviewer in question ask to purchase the unit.

Glad your enjoying yours and I will check out that CD.

james

rob80b

« Reply #315 on: 24 Nov 2008, 06:05 pm »
happens.
anyone have a clue why?

Hi Ed,

The BCD-1's SPDIF out does not included any Data info - it only outputs the Audio bitstream.

james

Thanks for the heads up; last year I transferred a lot of my work in Electronic Music that I did in the 80’s and 90’s on reel to reel to CD with a HHB CDR 830.
Unfortunately the levels on some of the CD’s were recorded too low and I was about to just set up the BCD-1 to the CDR 80, adjust the levels and hit CD direct.
Some of my compositions are over twenty minutes long and there are quite a few track indicators although the pieces are continuous.
Which also brings up the point I mentioned about to James about increasing the speed of the search function and the bug when fast-forwarding to the end of long tracks.

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=58273.msg541233#msg541233

Robert

Toronto

ed h

« Reply #316 on: 24 Nov 2008, 06:58 pm »
hey robert,

i got the same bug when using the search format.
the player would freeze. i used the 'next' button to unfreeze it.

fortunately, i don't use 'search' very often.

rob80b

« Reply #317 on: 24 Nov 2008, 10:59 pm »
Hi Ed

Did your numbers get substituted for letters before the freeze?

Robert

Toronto

Mag

« Reply #318 on: 24 Nov 2008, 11:58 pm »
Speaking of bugs, I've had a few strange happenings with my unit. Which I attribute to a ghost or poltergeist in my home. The usual occurrence is for the tray to close by itself when I have my back turned searching for the next CD to play.

Yesterday the unit froze up reading and error from a disc. I had to go to the washroom, so I shut the player off and saw it going into standby mode. I was going to power it back up to reboot it after I went to the washroom. While I was in the washroom upstairs it started playing track 1 on the disc that was in it. The hair on my head stood up as I pondered what had just happened. I don't think the unit can power up by itself?

vegasdave

• My online rock magazine-Crypt Magazine
« Reply #319 on: 25 Nov 2008, 11:58 am »
That's very interesting...do you have any other problems like that with your system?