FS: RAM modded Lite DAC AH NOS Dac

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
FS: RAM modded Lite DAC AH NOS Dac
« on: 28 Jun 2007, 05:11 pm »
This is cut-pasted off A-gon listing.  I just moved to $390.  It's a great DAC after the mods, but I'm going USB so I'm selling.  If I had another system I keep this little gem.  I have 100% positive feedback on A-gon, here, etc. 
(same username).  I'm shipping from 44145.

Reference Audio Mods-modded Lite DAC-Ah non-oversampling DAC. This is a very good DAC in its stock form. With Doug Jesse's mod work this DAC is transformed into a category killer. Here are some details:

Modification Descriptions

-Power Supply, Connectors and Analog output stage Upgrades

Replace stock IEC connector with Furutech Gold plated IEC connector for power inlet.
Improvement: Better voltage integrity and better grip on power cord.

Replace stock rectifiers with RAM ultra low impedance custom handmade versions
Improvement: Replacing the stock, noisy diodes with our handmade ultra low impedance diode bridges bring increased resolution, removes all grain and grit and better bass qualities. We reworked the bridging topology to allow for far less noise.

Replace all capacitors in circuits Rubycon ZA/ZL series capacitors.
Improvement: These capacitors are much more open sounding, very neutral and have more speed than any other cap on the market. We have compared Blackgate FK/N, Panasonic FC/FM, Nichican Muse, and Os-cons and they are not in the same league.

Replace the input coaxial RCA and Analog Output RCA connectors with the new WBT NextGen High performance RCA connectors.
Improvement: These are an eddy-current free design using very little metal and offer more of a "straight peice of wire" sound, rather than the grainy, itchy sound from the metal bulky stock connectors. We have compared other aftermarket RCA's from Vampire and Cardas and they exhibit grain in the music when compared to the WBT Nextgen.

Rewire the WBT NextGen RCA's with Audio Consulting Silver wire and Cotton tubing.
Improvement: No teflon or plastics used around the wire, were we hear frequency shift and imbalances in the sound. This wire/cotton combo is the most neutral/natural sounding combo that we have heard!
RAM replaces the stock Analog Output Coupling Capacitors with the LeClanche NOS PIO type caps and REMOVE ANALOG OPAMPS!!
Improvement: These are the most natural and neutral sounding capacitors we have heard for signal coupling and really opens up the soundstage and presents instruments in a very scary lifelike manner. We have compared every cap on the market, such as Auricap, Mundorf silver PIO, sonicaps, etc.. and every plastic or poly cap sounded unbalanced and had a "synthetic" sound to it. Neutral/Natural tones are the end result from using these caps in this great little DAC. We remove the Analog output stage op-amps completely for a minimalistic signal path approach and notice increased transparency, and resolution and removal of all grit for the unit.

RAM charges $650 for the modded DAC. I have this one for $390 and it does not require any turnaround time, and is already fully broken-in (important on modifications). I am replacing this DAC with a MUCH MUCH more expensive one (the only way to improve the sound). This DAC is a giant killer in most reviews.

Paypal add 3%. Buyer pays shipping.

Thanks,
« Last Edit: 1 Jul 2007, 02:12 pm by ted_b »

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
Re: FS: RAM modded Lite DAC AH NOS Dac
« Reply #1 on: 1 Jul 2007, 02:14 pm »
Bump.  Price lowered to $390.  This modded DAC is now the same as the Audio Note except for the gold feet and gold top plate.