SB3 vs CDT+DAC comparison..

Pacio

SB3 vs CDT+DAC comparison..
« on: 25 Jun 2007, 12:00 pm »
Hello everyone,
I'm a happy owner of a North Star Model 192 combo (cd transport + dac), but I would like to move to a full modded SB3 by Bolder Cable.
The question is, I've read that this version of the SB3 can easily outperform several cd players, but I would love to receive some feedback from who had the chance to compare it versus a cdt+dac combo like mine.
Any comment is much appreciated!
Thank you.

Cheers,
Pacio

ecruz

Re: SB3 vs CDT+DAC comparison..
« Reply #1 on: 25 Jun 2007, 12:48 pm »
I had a TRL (Tube Research Labs) modded Sony 900 cd player.  It was the best digital player I ever heard.  There were many threads on Audiogon from people who replaced their very expensive transport/dacs (>$10k) for the Sony TRL/900.  Well, I replaced my Sony TRL/900 for a Bolder modded SB3.

It's amazing the amount of music that Wayne can get out of this $300 player.  Give it a try, you won't go back. 

My system
SB3 w/digital mod and a Slipstream purifier
Bolder Cable Rev. 1 power supply (this alone is a HUGE upgrade for the SB3)
Behringer DEQ as a DAC and for room correction (soon to be modified)
Nuforce Reference 9 amps
Vandersteen 3A speakers 

mcgsxr

« Reply #2 on: 25 Jun 2007, 01:08 pm »
Not that I had a high end system, but this is what my Bolder modded SB3 replaced:

Nakamichi cd player as transport
Monarchy Superdrive DIP
Bolder Mensa modded ART DIO with Bolder PS
Hagerman Clarinet tubed preamp

As I run a 1 source system, I was able to sell off the preamp too!

Love the modded SB3, happy to use it, along with one of the earlier PS specific to the SB3.

TomS

« Reply #3 on: 25 Jun 2007, 03:05 pm »
Bolder SB2/Ultimate PS/Summit DC cable replaced a Wadia 861SE GNSC Statement CDP

Pacio

« Reply #4 on: 25 Jun 2007, 09:08 pm »
I had a TRL (Tube Research Labs) modded Sony 900 cd player.  It was the best digital player I ever heard.  There were many threads on Audiogon from people who replaced their very expensive transport/dacs (>$10k) for the Sony TRL/900.  Well, I replaced my Sony TRL/900 for a Bolder modded SB3.

It's amazing the amount of music that Wayne can get out of this $300 player.  Give it a try, you won't go back. 

My system
Nuforce Reference 9 amps
Vandersteen 3A speakers 

ecruz,
it seems like I will have to sell my combo to make room for the SB3!
I heard that the SB3 performs very well with an active buffer, I have a Promitheus Audio tube buffer and once I get the SB3 I will either try to run it directly into my amp and through the buffer before to see which one is the best.
BTW, you have my dream amps..how the NuForce Ref 9s sound with the SB3?
Cheers,
Pacio

ecruz

« Reply #5 on: 26 Jun 2007, 01:51 am »

My system
Nuforce Reference 9 amps
Vandersteen 3A speakers 

ecruz,
it seems like I will have to sell my combo to make room for the SB3!
I heard that the SB3 performs very well with an active buffer, I have a Promitheus Audio tube buffer and once I get the SB3 I will either try to run it directly into my amp and through the buffer before to see which one is the best.
BTW, you have my dream amps..how the NuForce Ref 9s sound with the SB3?
Cheers,
Pacio

The Bolder SB3/Nuforce/Vandersteen combo is amazing.  I used to drive the Vandies with a McCormack DNA 1 and they always went plenty deep, but they were a little soft at times.  The Nuforce amps take care of that problem.  The bass is now deep AND tight, tight, tight!

If you go with a Bolder modded SB3, you have to try, at least a modded Elpac power supply with it.  You will not hear everything that SB3 is capable of with the standard power supply.  With better power, the bass is stronger, the background gets blacker, the soundstage bigger, the dynamics are greater, there's more detail and everything just sounds more reaslistic.  I would not have believed the difference, if I hadn't heard it myself.

Wayne1

« Reply #6 on: 26 Jun 2007, 02:02 am »
Hello Pacio,

The analog modded SB, powered from an Ultimate PS MKII, has sounded "better" then a lot of stand alone DACs. I have not listened to a CD transport through a DAC in a couple of years now.

The analog modded SB DOES sound better when the signal is fed through a BURSON Buffer. I can not say the same about ALL buffer circuits. I have listened to a tube buffer that degraded the sound.

As usual, it all depends on YOUR system. Hopefully, I will have a BOLDER Built Burson Buffer to send around on an audition tour after RMAF in October.

I have tried out some NuForce amps in my office system. The 9SE sounded fantastic (IMHO MUCH better then the 9), but there was interference (noise) with the SB.

If your speakers are efficient enough, the Trends T-Amp sounds really good. With some mods it becomes even better. When used with an Ultimate Power Supply MKII set up for 12 volts  :o

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #7 on: 26 Jun 2007, 02:22 am »
The Bolder SB3/Nuforce/Vandersteen combo is amazing.  I used to drive the Vandies with a McCormack DNA 1 and they always went plenty deep, but they were a little soft at times.  The Nuforce amps take care of that problem.  The bass is now deep AND tight, tight, tight!

If you go with a Bolder modded SB3, you have to try, at least a modded Elpac power supply with it.  You will not hear everything that SB3 is capable of with the standard power supply.  With better power, the bass is stronger, the background gets blacker, the soundstage bigger, the dynamics are greater, there's more detail and everything just sounds more reaslistic.  I would not have believed the difference, if I hadn't heard it myself.

You should hear the full blown SB2 with analog mods + Gold Bybees + Ultimate II PS with Vandy 5A's...   :drool: :drool: :drool:

George

Daygloworange

• Industry Participant
  • www.customconcepts.ca
« Reply #8 on: 26 Jun 2007, 02:48 am »
Previously had Sony and NAD CDP's.

I'm running a Bolder modded (full analog, no Bybees, with modded Elpac P.S.) straight into an ATI 1202 power amp, into GR Research OB 5's (91db sensitivity), soon to have GR Research OB 7's. I'm not running my sub now as I ejected the preamp from the signal chain (Adcom GFP-345) and couldn't be happier.

I have the modded Elpac P.S. , and have tried the older Bolder Rev1 P.S.. There was a definite difference in the 2 power supplies. I had some issues sonic wise with the Rev1, but have spoken to a couple of people who had owned the Rev1 and then heard the Ultimate. Without prompting, our thoughts on the Rev1 were similar, which leads me to believe that the Ultimate should be really good. The detail and dynamics certainly go up from the Elpac to the Rev1.

I also recently purchased a Trends TA 10.1 chip amp. Really nice sounding in my setup, and dead quiet. Wayne has sent up his modded Trends TA 10.1 with custom power supply and PC. I'll give my thoughts when I do a side by side.

I will eventually be getting the Ultimate PS, as well as the Bolder/Burson.

I'll never spin another CD again.

Cheers

Pacio

« Reply #9 on: 26 Jun 2007, 11:53 am »
First of all thank you so much everyone for your kind comments!

ecruz, for sure if I pull the trigger, I wil go for a FULL modded SB3 and I mean full (analog, digital, Ultimate power supply from Bolder as well..).

Wayne, I used to listen to my Promitheus combo as pre: passive TVC + active buffer and it sounded great when compared to many other pre's. I don't know its behaviour as a buffer alone, but since you stated that the SB3 with the Burson buffer is really great, I would like to give it a try.
BTW what about your Statement SB3? I have to sell my CDT + DAC first to rise the funds for the SB3 and this won't be earlier than 1 month from now, I think. Are there some news in the works?
My speakers are VMPS RM30M (with sidefiring woofers) + VMPS Original sub. They are quite efficient, but I learnt that they like to be driven firmly..

Anyone wants to buy my North Star combo?.. aa

Cheers,
Marco

1000a

« Reply #10 on: 26 Jun 2007, 11:33 pm »
I will eventually be getting the Ultimate PS, as well as the Bolder/Burson.

I'll never spin another CD again.

Cheers

what does this Burson Buffer thing do?
what kind of sound improvements can one hope for with the stock version?
and then the modded version?

thanks, in advance

Wayne1

« Reply #11 on: 27 Jun 2007, 10:58 pm »
Here is a link to the Burson Audio site with their explanation of how their Buffer works:

http://www.bursonaudio.com/Burson_Audio_Buffer.htm

Basically the Burson Buffer will match impedances from your source to the amp. It will also add a bit of gain.

In terms of what it does to the sound, it adds a great deal of dynamics. The sound of an analog modded SB powered from an Ultimate PS has been compared to a lot of very high quality front ends, Adding the Burson Buffer to this will improve the sound even more. The analog modded SB has an max output level of 1.1 volts. The Burson Buffer increases this by 6 db. As the Burson Buffer is direct coupled and all discreet, there is NO reduction in the transparency of the music.

I have assembled only one prototype, modded Burson Buffer. It has never been compared to a stock unit. I hope to be able to do so in July after this prototype unit has some time on it.

There are a few user comments from AC members who have added the Burson Buffer into their modded SB systems. All have been very positive.