A Great Birthday Story - Little league baseball

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
  • Purity Audio Design -Custom Design and Manufacturi
    • Musica Bella Audio
A Great Birthday Story - Little league baseball
« on: 23 Jun 2007, 09:46 pm »
First I want to thank everyone who sent me birthday wishes via PMs and emails.

Today was one of the best birthdays I have had in a long time. As many of you already know, I coach little league baseball and today we had our last game that determined our standings. If we won today and another team looses tomorrow, we take first place.

Right before the game started, I sat all my kids down to have that 'pre game talk'. As soon as I was done, they all stood up and shouted "Let's win this one for "Coach Baker". Long story short they won the game and afterwards, they all came up to me and told me "This game was for you coach" and then presented me with a baseball signed by all the players!!! It didn't matter if they won or lost, that is a great bunch of kids.
(We are now tied for first :thumb: We will have to see what the other team does tomorrow.)
« Last Edit: 27 Jun 2007, 02:42 am by Response Audio »

WEEZ

Re: A Great Birthday Story
« Reply #1 on: 23 Jun 2007, 11:14 pm »
Bill, that's as good as a birthday present gets! Here's hoping for the outcome to turn in your favor tomorrow.. :)

WEEZ

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #2 on: 24 Jun 2007, 01:01 am »
Thanks Weez,
 The same thing happened on father's day as the kids dedicated the game to their fathers and they won that one as well. You are right, for myself, there really is no better way to spend a birthday or father's day. Doing something you truly enjoy and having your own children as well as all the others make the day that much more special.

Regardless of how the season ends, these are a great bunch of kids and they are all winners anyway.

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #3 on: 25 Jun 2007, 01:46 am »
Well, the tally is in and the other team did win their game today and took first place in the division.
 Our boys ended up in a two way tie for second place. Great regular season and they deserve to be proud.

Tomorrow night the playoffs start with the championship game on Friday!! Wish us luck aa

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #4 on: 25 Jun 2007, 03:40 am »

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
    • Musica Bella Audio
Re: A Great Birthday Story - Little league baseball
« Reply #5 on: 27 Jun 2007, 02:47 am »
Well, our first playoff game was tonight and holy s%#t was it hot. Started at 5:30 while the temp was still in the 90's with humidity about as high.
 The boys pulled it out  :green: with our pictures shutting them down in the second inning and boys coming alive at the bat in the bottom of the 4th to pull ahead by 2 runs. We have a day off tomorrow with the next game on Thursday.

WEEZ

« Reply #6 on: 27 Jun 2007, 03:54 pm »
 :dance:

...sounding good....

WEEZ

WEEZ

« Reply #7 on: 5 Jul 2007, 07:53 pm »
...and the final result?? :drums:

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #8 on: 5 Jul 2007, 10:52 pm »
Opps, sorry.

Well, our were flat for the semi-final game. We got beat as the team we were playing was really on top of things. Their fielding was excellent and they were hitting everything that came across the plate. The next day in the Championship game, THEY were flat and got beat.

Before the semi-final game, I told my boys "No matter what the outcome of this game, you should walk off this field proud with your heads high. You are the youngest team in the league and still finished 2nd for the season and made it to the semi-finals. You played a great season."

We ended up in a tie for 2nd place for the season and 3rd in the Championship.

WEEZ

« Reply #9 on: 5 Jul 2007, 10:57 pm »
That's pretty cool.

Will the same team be intact for next season? ..or will you have 'age-outs' and have to start fresh?

WEEZ

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #10 on: 5 Jul 2007, 11:07 pm »
Will the same team be intact for next season? ..or will you have 'age-outs' and have to start fresh?

We will loose a few due to age but the younger ones we have now will be higher on the totem Pole next year. Even my twin boys were playing as 8 year olds in this 10 year old league and both were starting pictures.

In a league such as this, it is a picting strategy game. We had one 9 year old that could pitch at nearly 60 mph :scratch: with the average in this league being around 40-45 mph. Unfortunately, such young kids have a "pitch count" of only 52 pitches per game. We can also not pitch a kid in the next consecutive game if he pitches more than 1 inning in the previous game. This is why we could not pitch our 60 mph boy in the semi-final.

It doesn't matter. As long as the boys have fun and enjoy the game, the final placement is not so important. But yes, we will be back in full force next year :guns:

WEEZ

« Reply #11 on: 5 Jul 2007, 11:28 pm »
Wishing you and your team the best for next season :thumb:

I only played 'little' league for (2) years (close to 50 years ago :lol:) and the first year we finished in last place...but won the 'good sportmanship trophy' :)....that was neat. The second year we played much better...but still finished last :( and a lot of the kids got dis-interested and the team sort of dis-banded...'cause we didn't even get the 'good sportsmanship trophy' that year.  :|

The inspiration comes from a great coach!!

best,

WEEZ