Cast Iron Cookware

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
Re: Cast Iron Cookware
« Reply #40 on: 2 Jul 2007, 08:57 pm »
Regarding the baby thing, yea....I know  :roll: TEN years of fertility experimentations  :|
"Do it now, drop what you're doing and get 'er done. Whether you like it or not.

My wife does a similar saving of the grease. She'll take bacon drippings and save them in a glass jar. But only stores them in the refrigerator. I suppose if you haven't died by now you're fine. And yes.... I know about grandma's fried chickens, that's one of the pans I'm trying to save. :thumb:

Bob

Imperial

• Love keeps us in the air, when we ought to fall.
« Reply #41 on: 2 Jul 2007, 10:42 pm »
Cast iron cookware is really a sponge made by cast iron.
First time preparing really makes the day for continued use.
Nice read this thread!
I'm thinking about getting a cast casserole myself, for making that perfect stew and such.
 :drool:
I'm really fond of chili and tomato dishes so no aluminum can be used...
Yum yum cook me some!

:D
http://www.castironcookware.com/cleaning-seasoning.html

Imperial
« Last Edit: 2 Jul 2007, 10:55 pm by Imperial »

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #42 on: 3 Jul 2007, 04:53 pm »
Good link Imperial
One thing I don't understand, They say if you're seasoning it in an indoor oven, you should do it this way:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Place utensil on top shelf of oven, upside down. Place aluminum foil on a baking sheet and put on bottom shelf of oven to catch any drippings. Bake in oven for one hour

But, if you do it outside on the grill:
When using a charcoal grill, put the charcoal in the grill as you normally would to begin grilling, light the coals and place your oiled utensil on the grilling surface of the grill. Close the top of the grill and leave the utensil inside until the coals burn out. When using a gas grill, turn the temperature between 400 and 500 degrees F and place the oiled utensil on the grilling surface. Leave the utensil on the grill, with the top closed, for at least 2 hours.

That's a big difference.  :scratch:

Imperial

« Reply #43 on: 3 Jul 2007, 10:08 pm »
Well. Yup... I'm sure it's correct! ?
Dang, I'm gonna have to talk to my mother about this! I feel I've not had the potty training I should have! :D

Hm, I don't know.
I'm sure that the charcoal gets used up in less time than 2 hours? And thereby simulates the slow decay of the Stove?

Imperial

jules

« Reply #44 on: 4 Jul 2007, 02:34 am »
Good to see the thread's up and running again ...  :D

A couple of extra thoughts ...

Sometimes you'll get stuff stuck to the pan regardless of the quality of the surface. When this happens the best solution is to try to scrape it off with a steel egglifter [doubt this is a universal term  :) but basically a metal flat edge] this way you plane the surface whereas with steel wool [or similar] you remove the surface.

Some people never wash their pans and most sources advise that you should never use any detergent when cleaning but I don't think this is always practical advice. If the pan has burnt, greasy material left in it after say, cooking a steak the best approach might be firstly, to scrape off the coarse stuff while the pan is still hot [as above] and when it's slightly cooler, add some hot water with a small dash of detergent, brush quickly and rinse straight away [don't use a scourer!]. 

As far as baking in an oven goes, it's fine but if you do the heating on a gas ring [or other stove top] you get the great advantage of being able to wipe the surface with oil repeatedly and thus build up a better layer. This might sound slightly undesirable but what we're getting here is simply a hard glazed layer of baked oil. You'll also notice, if you do this on a stove top, that the oil does all sorts of odd things on its way to forming a glaze. If you can wipe it while this is happening you'll get a much smoother surface. Otherwise you can get little droplets that harden and even funny little runs of oil. Aagh! This almost requires an illustrated story!

Barbecues are generally easier to maintain because they don't get soaked in water.

Casseroles can be tricky [but they do work] simply because a lot of the cooking happens with water [sauce/stock] and this softens the glazed layer. Same rules apply when you've finished with them though ... heat and oil or at least oil if possible.

jules
« Last Edit: 4 Jul 2007, 06:16 am by jules »

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #45 on: 4 Jul 2007, 11:33 pm »
Good to see the thread's up and running again ...  :D
Cool, somebody other than me is getting something from it.  :lol:

a steel egglifter [doubt this is a universal term  :) but basically a metal flat edge] this way you plane the surface whereas with steel wool [or similar] you remove the surface.
YES. We/I call it a spatula. I used one tonight as a matter of fact. Among many other things, I cooked bacon on the grill. Used a steel spatula to flip the bacon. This was done in one of "my" pans, not one of the new catpiss pans.  :wink:
Mmm, Yummy....Bacon on the grill......  :drool: :thumb: Sprinkle some freshly ground Rosemary and black pepper.......OOOhhhhh BABY! aa Better than sex!

Some people never wash their pans and most sources advise that you should never use any detergent when cleaning but I don't think this is always practical advice. If the pan has burnt, greasy material left in it after say, cooking a steak the best approach might be firstly, to scrape off the coarse stuff while the pan is still hot [as above] and when it's slightly cooler, add some hot water with a small dash of detergent, brush quickly and rinse straight away [don't use a scourer!]. 
THIS pan, I'll be using warm soap and water on the inside, won't touch the bottom/outside.
Immediately after, I'll rub some veggie oil on it and set it on the stove to warm.

As far as baking in an oven goes, it's fine but if you do the heating on a gas ring [or other stove top] you get the great advantage of being able to wipe the surface with oil repeatedly and thus build up a better layer. This might sound slightly undesirable but what we're getting here is simply a hard glazed layer of baked oil. You'll also notice, if you do this on a stove top, that the oil does all sorts of odd things on its way to forming a glaze. If you can wipe it while this is happening you'll get a much smoother surface. Otherwise you can get little droplets that harden and even funny little runs of oil.
As long as the heat is relatively even (which it should be, that's the point of cast iron), and you coat/rub the cooking surface with veggie oil, you'll be OK. If you do the oven routine, you can still accomplish the same thing, it's just more of a pain to continually remove the piece and coat it.
Once the piece is seasoned properly (and no cats piss on it) it take VERY little maintenance to maintain the item. VERY very easy. It takes less than 20 seconds to whip some oil on it, once or twice around with a paper towel, set on a warm surface, BINGO. You're finished.!  :thumb:

Bob

S Clark

« Reply #46 on: 5 Jul 2007, 03:04 am »
Cast iron has been my cookware of choice for 20-25 years.  While not "expert" like grandma, I have a reasonable expertise with the stuff.  So here is what I will pass along:
1. Soap and cast iron do not mix.  Ever.  If you have something greasy and yucky in the skillet that won't come out with just hot water and a scouring pad, reheat with a bit of water in the skillet using the scouring pad if needed. 
2. A bit of grease added to the skillet while warm/hot is a good thing before putting away.
3. If you must re-season, lard is better than oil.  I don't like seasoning over coals.  If you get a hot spot you will burn the carbon off the skillet ruining the seasoning. Season in the oven- or with controlled heat.

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #47 on: 5 Jul 2007, 03:19 am »
Well Mr. Clark, those are powerful words from somebody that has used a product for more than two decades.
I've never bought lard, nor would have no idea where it even IS in the grocery store. But the next time I go, I'll have an eye out for it. Thank you for that info.
Regarding the soap, from what I've read here and on the cast iron thread at the 'Asylum', soap seems to be like asking what kind of cables are on your IC's.  :lol: I've used it, but when I do, it's very rare and vary sparingly. Only when I make a big nasty greasy mess will I use soap. However, with the comments posted here, I may taper off my use of the cleaner instead using hot water and a plastic/nylon scouring pad. NOT an SOS pad.

Bob

jules

« Reply #48 on: 5 Jul 2007, 03:31 am »
hmmm, well I've added it up and decided that my experience with iron pans goes back for about 40 years so maybe I could try to pull rank on Mr. Clarke but unfortunately neither my mother nor my grandmother used them so that's a serious weakness in my claims.

Overall though, we seem to be pretty close to agreement and clearly anyone who's been using iron-ware for many years must have a system that works.

Now, maybe I'll start a thread on Japanese chef's knives ... I've got a great collection of professional knives based on the french style with my favourite makers being  [Wusthof] Trident and F. Dick but I'm interested in the laminar construction of japanese knives because it allows the use of a harder edge material and also looks incredibly cool!!!

jules

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #49 on: 5 Jul 2007, 03:50 am »
Well Jules, 40 years doing anything is impressive. But is cast iron in your genes? Is it heritage? HA HA

I agree, it seems we all have our own system that differs slightly. Mine works, but am open to suggestions from folks more knowledgeable than I.
I'll ease up on the soap, and check into the lard thing. But it seems that everything else appears to be OK.
I've yet to fix the other pans. Maybe this weekend I'll fix 'em. The wife is growing tired of my expanding collection of heavy cast iron invading "HER" cabinets. When I get them all cleaned up and seasoned, it'll be time to do some serious rearraging to the kitchen cabinet organization.  :wink:

Regarding the knives, Don't limit it to just Jap knives. I've got some that I love. Have no idea if they're "special" or not, but they work great. You start the thread, I'll join in.

Bob

jules

« Reply #50 on: 5 Jul 2007, 04:08 am »
 :lol: ok, I'll avoid your cruel reference to my lack of genetic background on iron-ware [though we do all have iron in our blood don't we] and start a knife thread ....

jules

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #51 on: 5 Jul 2007, 12:21 pm »
 :wink: Sorry for takin' the shot dude. I couldn't resist.  :lol:

Bob

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #52 on: 5 Jul 2007, 05:10 pm »
By the way Jules, I did see your Japanese knife thread and I did say I'd join in. But after doing some research this morning on the knives I have, it turns out that there isn't anything special about them at all.  :roll:  :lol: They are nice and work very well, but nothing to brag about. They were given to me by my Mother when a relative died. Turns out these 'vintage' looking knives are still sold and fairly inexpensive. Waaay, far off from the knives you guys are talking about, so I'll leave your thread alone.  :wink:
Bob

jules

« Reply #53 on: 6 Jul 2007, 01:52 am »
Sounds like a great opportunity Bob ... just think, for less than the price of a teflon V cap you could own a knife that will still impress the generations that follow you. Hey, it could even appreciate in value over twenty years [which is a great deal more than the V cap will do  :)

jules

Imperial

« Reply #54 on: 6 Jul 2007, 12:19 pm »
I just had to take a picture of my meal! Hehe!

I call it Deep dish with "sub par" delivery...Hehe.
I made it in exactly 4 minutes! And cutting was done with a japanese style knife!

Bad lighting as it seems!

Well, looking at the soup, I'm about to leapfrog... Yumm yumm!
Hehe!  :drool: Just testing my cam.

Imperial
« Last Edit: 9 Jul 2007, 10:09 pm by Imperial »

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #55 on: 9 Jul 2007, 09:43 pm »
Well allright, I've done them all now. Seems like they turned out just fine. I used lower heat, and less time, but the seasoning is gone anyway. Nothing left but ashes in the bottom of the pans. Starting all over. No problem.

Left Pan: The one I've had for a few years now. It was an old school piece that came from a thrift store (my Mom found it). Well seasoned, notice how dull it is.  :thumb:
Middle two pans: These are the "new" old pans after a gentile nuking and after the first coat of oil. Notice the smooth bottom (no jokes there  :wink: ) and how shiny they are.
Right Pan: These are what they looked like when I received them.

Here's most of the gang, minus three pans that are 6"ers and 5"ers. (forgot to bring them out.)

jules

« Reply #56 on: 9 Jul 2007, 11:19 pm »
Nice pictorial Bob ... you've got a great pan collection!

I'm inspired to send my own version in but I don't have a camera at the moment. Still, this thread is proving to be as tough as iron so maybe I'll post something in a week or so.

The pan on the left certainly looks well cured if a little rough [? ... hard to see].

The pans in the middle look to be on their way but they still look as though they don't have a glaze on them yet [except for a couple of little black bits [? ... is that your feeling]

The pans on the right ... I can almost smell the cat piss  :D

jules

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #57 on: 10 Jul 2007, 09:26 pm »
HA HA  :lol: Yea, the pan on the right still smells after all these weeks. (The pic was taken before the nuking).
The middle one's have a couple bits of seasoning, but only on the sides. Nothing of any real consequence. The bottoms are like glass.....ZERO seasoning.
Well you busted me Jules....The pan on the left is one I use on a regular basis. And despite what I said said about leaving 'meat grease' for storeage, what you see is yesterdays bacon residue. I had wiped the pan off, but nothing more than that.  :duh: I didn't think anybody would notice, but you have a pretty sharp eye.  :lol:

Bob :wink:

jules

« Reply #58 on: 10 Jul 2007, 09:48 pm »
Any thoughts of re-naming "the food bar"   :lol: ...

I had a close look at some of my favourite pans after my last post and they aren't all that photogenic themselves

jules

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #59 on: 11 Jul 2007, 10:52 am »
We'll have to take to JohnR about that but I'd think there is more Sports related stuff than food. The food topics have died down somewhat. Actually Jules thanks for reminding me, I was going to rekindle a very old thread about food BBQ to be exact.

Oh, go ahead and take some photos man.  :D So us your dirt.

Bob