Where to find photos of symphony hall & orchestra

HiFiNutNut

Where to find photos of symphony hall & orchestra
« on: 22 Jun 2007, 06:07 am »
Hi,

I am planning to get two large acoustic panels of 1.2m x 2.4m for my new sound room on the side walls and spend the money to print two nice photos on them.

What is in my mind is to have one photo of a symphony hall (or don't mind a warm tone Sydney Opera House) and for another a symphony orchestra in performance, possibly with the conductor in the middle. That would make the music room look really nice and possibly sound better! The two photos should be similar in tone and colour, and I will paint the walls to match the colour.

I have browsed the internet and have not found the photos. Have you come across any sites that have the photos? I don't mind paying for them.

Regards,
Bill

JohnR

Re: Where to find photos of symphony hall & orchestra
« Reply #1 on: 22 Jun 2007, 07:07 am »
How about this one?

Not sure how well it would blow up to 1.2x2.4 m though!

HiFiNutNut

« Reply #2 on: 25 Jun 2007, 12:02 am »
Thanks.

Did you take that? I wish it was a live performance.

Regards,
Bill

JohnR

« Reply #3 on: 25 Jun 2007, 12:39 am »
Yep, it's Verizon Hall in Philadelphia :)

You could try searching the stock images sites. I read that full-resolution images cost around $15. I'm sorry I don't know what the sites names are.

2wo

« Reply #4 on: 25 Jun 2007, 02:05 am »
Dude, your sitting in my seat.

I have a Thursday night series. Second tier front row center. The best seats in the house...John

JohnR

« Reply #5 on: 25 Jun 2007, 12:34 pm »
Hah :lol: I went to a concert the evening after taking this photo (this was taken on a scouting trip aka guided tour...)

You'll recognize the shape of the ceiling as well then (this is one of those occasions when you wished you had a lens that was just a liiiittle bit wider...)

PhilNYC

« Reply #6 on: 25 Jun 2007, 12:38 pm »
You can try going to Picturesandbox.com and doing a variety of searches ("orchestra", "symphony hall", etc).  This will give you search results of photos from Flickr.com that are available for purchase and use in prints...

nathanm

« Reply #7 on: 25 Jun 2007, 09:34 pm »
That is a most impressive hall - wow!  :o  Here, I did a quick and dirty merger of your two shots, hope you don't mind John.

HiFiNutNut

« Reply #8 on: 25 Jun 2007, 10:29 pm »
You guys' works are very impressive. I have too much to do and can't keep up with my hobbies. First I have to finish the renovation of my new home I moved in a few weeks ago, then work on my new SubSub WWTMMWW hybrid dipole speakers, then I must go and do more oil paintings and drawings, and next I will do some photos again with my brand new camera... and playing with 3 kids all under 7 years old...

Thinking about taking my own photos like you guys did and go to the Sydney Opera House (5 minutes from my office) and take some shots, but the weather now in Sydney is dreadful. I will do some search on the net.

Regards,
Bill

HiFiNutNut

« Reply #9 on: 25 Jun 2007, 10:37 pm »
John,

Seeing nobody was in the concert hall, you must got there early. Since the two photos could be stiched together, you must have had with you your tripot as well and all photos must be taken in the same location. Given the sharp image and the dim lights without a tripot it was not possible unless your hands were frozen.
 :icon_lol:
Bill

BradJudy

« Reply #10 on: 26 Jun 2007, 12:25 am »
There are pictures of many concert halls in Wikipedia.  Just follow the links from this index to pages about each one in Wikipedia to see if they have interior images:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_concert_halls

JohnR

« Reply #11 on: 26 Jun 2007, 07:31 am »
nathanm, no worries, gee I always forget about this splicing bizzo. You did a good job, looks like you had to adjust brightness a little on one? I wish I had taken shots on the sides as well now! Something to remember for next time :idea:

Bill, you're in Sydney?! So am I. You can go on a tour of the Opera House but they don't let you take pictures inside the concert hall. I'm not sure what you could get before a performance starts though -- stealth mode? Worth a shot! ;)

I went on the tour a while back when a friend from the US visited. Didn't get any inside shots but I did get this one from the rear foyer:

I guess I need to start uploading bigger versions of my pics. Anyway. This is with a Bessa L with 25mm lens, on Superia 400 (I think)