Way to increase the print size

HiFiNutNut

Way to increase the print size
« on: 20 Jun 2007, 06:25 am »
Hi,

I have taken this photo:

However, the resolution is too low to print. I would like to increase the possible print size. Any software you can recommend?

Thanks in advance.
Bill

Lensman

Re: Way to increase the print size
« Reply #1 on: 20 Jun 2007, 10:46 am »
You can use Photoshop to up-rez.  Choose IMAGE -> IMAGE SIZE, then specify your output size and resolution.

Lensman

JohnR

« Reply #2 on: 20 Jun 2007, 10:49 am »
Beaut photo! :thumb:

drphoto

« Reply #3 on: 20 Jun 2007, 12:47 pm »
In photoshop go to MODE first and change to 16 bit. Then rez up. Some people say if you want to double the size, it helps to rez up twice in 50% increments. If you want to sharpen, use Unsharp Mask in 16 bit. When you are finished, go back to mode and change to 8 bit.

There is a program called "Genuine Fractals" which is supposed to do a better job than photoshop, but the 16 bit trick works nearly as well and is a lot less hassle, not to mention the savings of the cost of more software.

nathanm

« Reply #4 on: 20 Jun 2007, 02:33 pm »
Genuine Fractals only changes the appearance of the blurred, mottled, upsampled pixels into something a bit more Impressionistic, it's not really a miracle worker in my opinion.  Try Bicubic Smoother in Photoshop instead of regular Bicubic perhaps.

Great photo!  Here you are in luck because the water and fog can be blurred\median'd\whatevered in order to reduce low level artifacts at the print size, but where you will run into trouble are the sharp details of the man.  I assume what you've posted here isn't the native pixel size, or is it?

HiFiNutNut

« Reply #5 on: 20 Jun 2007, 10:31 pm »
Thanks, guys.

I had tried Photoshop to up size. The result had a lot of noise and was not acceptable.

There was a de-noise program I tried (I can't remember what it is now). It worked recently well. But the free version of the software could only edit files in screen resolution but not print resolution. I was happy to pay for the real version but I couldn't pay by mastercard, etc, so I did not buy it.

I will try the 16 bit idea.

Brad kindly sent me a private email yesterday with a link to a de-noise freeware. I will try that.

Would anyone be interested in helping me to edit the file (and perhaps 3 more others)? I can help with your audio / loudspeaker / preamp stuff in return if you want.

Thanks for the good comments. My travel photos can be found here: www.billlouey.com and http://home.iprimus.com.au/cbsoftware/travel

Regards,
Bill

HiFiNutNut

« Reply #6 on: 20 Jun 2007, 10:40 pm »
Nathanm,

The photo posted was not the native one which has about 900KB. The photo was taken with a consumer grade small Sony digital camera and was edited with Photoshop.

I recently bought the Nikon DX90 digital camera and the best Nikon digital zoom lens (more expensive than the DX90) but have not had the time to play with it. Pitty.

Regards,
Bill