Is there a site that will host full size images

jqp

• Volunteer
  • Each CD lovingly placed in the nOrh CD-1
Is there a site that will host full size images
« on: 18 Jun 2007, 03:34 am »
Flickr seems to only allow 1024x768, or am I missing something?

I assume I may need to pay for this priviledge  :scratch:

Rashiki

Re: Is there a site that will host full size images
« Reply #1 on: 18 Jun 2007, 03:47 am »
Flickr seems to only allow 1024x768, or am I missing something?

Really? Flickr let me upload some 2816x2112 (6MP) images using their uploader app for MacOS. I just had to select an option to not resize images. This was just using the free flickr account. The Windows uploader app also has a "never resize" option.

-Rob

jqp

• Volunteer
« Reply #2 on: 18 Jun 2007, 03:53 am »
OK thanks - I will look for that option!

jqp

• Volunteer
« Reply #3 on: 18 Jun 2007, 04:10 am »
OK I downloaded the uploader, and set it to never resize. However, the largest size I can find on flickr is still 1024x768.

Rashiki

« Reply #4 on: 18 Jun 2007, 05:21 am »
OK I downloaded the uploader, and set it to never resize. However, the largest size I can find on flickr is still 1024x768.

When I select one of my "never resized" images and select the "all sizes" button, it shows me "square", "thumbnail", "small", "medium", "large" and "original". For the photos where I let flickr resize the image the "original" size is the resized size (e.g. 1280x960), but for the photos where I told flickr to not resize, the "original" size is the camera resolution. Here's an example:

http://www.flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne?id=499565620&size=o&context=set-72157600217637811&size=o

-Rob

JohnR

« Reply #5 on: 18 Jun 2007, 10:38 am »
Just out of curiosity -- the reason for wanting full-sized image hosting is for file transfer, not for image display, right? (Nobody has 3Mx2M screens - ?)

Rashiki

« Reply #6 on: 18 Jun 2007, 01:44 pm »
Just out of curiosity -- the reason for wanting full-sized image hosting is for file transfer, not for image display, right? (Nobody has 3Mx2M screens - ?)

In my case it was for archival purposes. I was traveling and wanted a backup of the originals. Once I was back home and could archive photos normally, I only uploaded ~1MP images.

-Rob

BradJudy

« Reply #7 on: 19 Jun 2007, 09:56 pm »
PicasaWeb from Google will let you do this for free with limited storage (more storage at a cost)

smugmug.com is a great photo hosting service created by a photographer for amateur photographers.  They let you do full size stuff as well as access control including who can access which resolutions.  It's not free ($60/yr), but it's excellent for storing lots of photos.