five 9 silver for internal speaker wiring

Ears

« Reply #20 on: 27 Sep 2003, 01:59 am »
I made some non twisted ic's whith the Audio Consulting 24 gauge wire and Eichmann silver bullets.

I have never heard this much improvement in detail and clarity from any previous ic change.
My AZ matrix reference are going on A-gon as well as my AZ mc=2 digital after 30 seconds whith these ic's.

Everything sounds so much more real and natural that I simply can't believe the difference I am hearing.

I have not got around to comparing to the other silver wiring available, but I have had Pro silway 2's.Analysis plus ic's,coincedent,Electra glide 1k silver ic's,various AQ's,dh labs and a few others that slip my mind to be sure.

The ic's I made without any recipe are so much better than anything else I have tried, that its almost rediculous how good they are. :D

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #21 on: 27 Sep 2003, 04:24 am »
Move over Ridge Street, another cablemaker is born. :lol: Congratulations on your success. Regards, Robin

Ears

« Reply #22 on: 27 Sep 2003, 11:37 am »
Robin, there is actually a commercial version of these already and I believe they sell for 1k or more per m whith cotton sheathing.

I think I will call mine ultimite transparacy,and because there is just an enamel coating.the company could be called visual displeasure inc or something  :)

gary

« Reply #23 on: 27 Sep 2003, 02:55 pm »
Ears

did you use the thicker gage wire? how many strands?
i've made interconnects with two strands of 24 ga. & one 30 ga. in each direction, with all six braided. i have no reference megabuck cables to put them up against, but i wish i did. i think they're that good. next i'm going to buy more 22 ga. silver, and experiment more. it's great fun really, braiding is a little bit of a pain but along with lowering inductance (which it's supposed to do) it makes the cable much more rigid & durable, and it looks great too. if i ever get un-lazy, i'll put some pictures up.

-gary

Ears

« Reply #24 on: 29 Sep 2003, 01:03 am »
Gary, I used two single 24 gauge stands per ic in a non twisted straight thru design whith no dieletric other than the enamel coating.

I had talked to a pro modder about this, and whith this particular wire, he said that the non twisted yeilded better results as he had already tried the twisted design.

Greg

satfrat

• Restricted
« Reply #25 on: 29 Sep 2003, 01:24 am »
Just outta curiousity Ears, what length cable did you make and how much money do you think you have in them? Regards, Robin

Ears

« Reply #26 on: 29 Sep 2003, 03:29 am »
Robin, about 100.00 for a 1 meter pair with the majority of this being the Eichmanns.

Greg

satfrat

• Restricted
« Reply #27 on: 29 Sep 2003, 03:37 am »
Quote from: Ears
Robin, about 100.00 for a 1 meter pair with the majority of this being the Eichmanns.

Greg
                       Damn Greg, pays to be a DIY kinda guy. I paid like 5x that for an 8' pair. Plus you have that good feeling of having made them yourself. Priceless! :D  Regards, Robin

ABEX

« Reply #28 on: 16 Oct 2003, 06:29 pm »
When making speaker wire and IC's. It is very important to consider what you are using for Connectors. I would experiment with different ones to find which is best for your cable unless you just want to get Eichmanns and forget about it.

Eichmanns top the list,but the silver RCA's are rather expensive. Use Cardas SLVR's for a sub to save on  cost there. I did not think to highly of Silver\Rhodium RCA's. Homegrowns Gold RCA's are about the lowest grade of RCA's I would use with Copper wires. I tried Daytons ,but found them not a good match for me. To bloated in the Bass presentation.  

Speaker connectors I have found AQ's being of minimalist design to work best.  

:wink:

audioengr

« Reply #29 on: 16 Oct 2003, 06:48 pm »
Air dielectric is hard to beat as is good silver.  Purity alone does not guarantee that it will have no sibilance.  The way that it was processed is critical.

As for Gauge, I would recommend using at least a 12 gauge equivalent using lots of twisted-pairs of smaller gauge.  Speaker drivers need low resistance as well as low inductance for the wiring.

ABEX

« Reply #30 on: 16 Oct 2003, 09:42 pm »
"Purity alone does not guarantee that it will have no sibilance. The way that it was processed is critical. "

I agree with that after having 2 identical wires processed in different places.

I have been wondering about eddy currents and weather they play any factor as in having wires closely bunched?

Another debatable issue is why Cable lifters work. I think it might be resonance factors.

audioengr

« Reply #31 on: 18 Oct 2003, 09:42 pm »
I have been wondering about eddy currents and weather they play any factor as in having wires closely bunched?

Another debatable issue is why Cable lifters work. I think it might be resonance factors.

Eddy currents can come into play in speaker cables, but mostly the wire sibilance is due to poor metallurgy.

Cable lifters have two possible physical explanations:
1) Static charge is eliminated from carpets
2) Ground-plane effects are reduced for cables with extensive fields around them

ABEX

« Reply #32 on: 18 Oct 2003, 10:25 pm »
Thanks for the reply as both are very hot topics.

Here is an ongoing thread about Eddy Currents amongst other theories. The physics involved is beyond me being very deep.Very intresting though.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=8c0d822546a5511f49a7c401d3923511&postid=251006#post251006