Power cable for ref 9SE v2

Viclondon

Power cable for ref 9SE v2
« on: 15 Jun 2007, 03:12 pm »
I have received my new ref9 SE v2 and I am enjoying them a lot: They brought my system to a totally different level, although they are still burning in and I have to optimise the set up. I live in the UK, so it is 230v.
My rig is: Resolution Audio Opus 21>Oritek X2 DIN to RCA IC>Minimax preamp with stock tubes>Oritek X2 IC>Nuforce ref9 SE v2
>Kimber speaker cable 8TC> Gallo ref3 II.
I have read that the Nuforce are very sensible to power cords; ATM I am using a pair of Sand Violet PC and I was planning to get a pair of VH Audio Flavor 4 and move the Violet to pre amp and CDP. I have not tried yet the stock PC of the Nuforce and I am now wondering if they are any good or if you would recommend replacing them. Any suggestions?
I have also heard that the Nuforce are fussy about vibrations. Any tips for anti-vibration devices?

mcullinan

Re: Power cable for ref 9SE v2
« Reply #1 on: 15 Jun 2007, 03:31 pm »
I use Signal Cable Magic Cords with my Nuforce and think they work very well!

Kind of off subject, but what do you think of the minimax/Nuforce 9SE v2 combo... I also have the Nuforce and was curious.. I am currently using an Audible Illusions Mod 3A.
Mike

cryotweaks

• Funny name. Serious audio.
    • TweekGeek.com
« Reply #2 on: 15 Jun 2007, 04:07 pm »
As a dealer, and a person who has gone through a ton of power cords spanning the entire range of prices, I like the Harmonic Tech Pro AC11 for a mid priced cable ($260 for 2m), and the Audience Power Chord ($482 for 2m).  I was surprised the Audience faired so well with the Nuforce as the Audience cable is unshielded.  Go figure.   I don't know how they fair with the new V2 topology however.

sac8d4

« Reply #3 on: 15 Jun 2007, 11:51 pm »
I have to agree with Mcullinan, the signal cables power cords sound very nice when mated with  nuforce amps (the silver resolution is amazing).However i have yet to hear the sonic difference with these cords on the V2 amps. I also was quite impressed with Zu's power cables with Nuforce amps. I figure you couldnt go wrong with either, and both have a very respectable return policy.

Hope that helps

beachbum

• Vinyl Delivers all of the Music
« Reply #4 on: 16 Jun 2007, 03:14 pm »
hello Viclondon and a very nice stereo system, i am planing the upgrade for my SEs, i have been using black sand violets for my amps and very happy with the results,
on vibration i believe any assistance to ease vibration with the amps is a must, for mine i put emf rfi sheets from work on the inside top cover. i have brass footers and maple shelves along with isoblocks and another shelf and footers on the floor. this made for super revealing and detailed sound.
was up till late last night spinning LP after LP. its hard to believe that v2 will improve these super amps as my system sounds like what i always dreamed of. thanks for your input on v2 and happy musical days.

VW

« Reply #5 on: 17 Jun 2007, 12:42 pm »
Hi Viclondon,  I read a post somewhere on the on the Salk Veracity HT3 owners forum which discussed AC power cord compatibility with Nu Force amps and digital amps in general.  The VH Audio Flavour 4's made little difference over stock cords on VI Ref 9's according to a few owners who tried them.  It seems shielded AC cords are a better way to go with Nu Force, though I don't know if this will hold for the new V2 amps.   

rustydoglim

• Industry Contributor
    • www.nuprimeaudio.com
« Reply #6 on: 18 Jun 2007, 08:29 am »
Since V2 has much lower broadband noise but we still recommend shielded AC cord. The standard cord that came with the amp is very good. You should always use it as a "reference", only upgrade the cord if you can tell the difference.

Viclondon

« Reply #7 on: 18 Jun 2007, 06:41 pm »
Thanks guys,
plenty of interesting infos in this thread. I suppose for the moment I wil post pone the purchase of the VH Audio and give a try to the cables supplied by Nuforce.

Viclondon

« Reply #8 on: 18 Jun 2007, 06:45 pm »
Kind of off subject, but what do you think of the minimax/Nuforce 9SE v2 combo...
A bit too early for final impression, as I have only had the combo for less than a week and have not started rolling tubes on the Minimax: I am still with the stock ones, while better tubes are suppose to bring serious improvement.
All I can say so far is that I set up at first the Opus 21 driving directly the NuForce (the preamp stage of the Opus is notoriously not very good); when I added the Minmax everything improved radically, I mean a real night and day difference.
More to come in a few weeks

TheChairGuy

« Reply #9 on: 18 Jun 2007, 07:23 pm »
I'm not a Nuforce owner (I'd like to hear them one day, however), but the Revelation Audio Labs cable has worked like no other on a variety of components with 'switching' power supplies.  They are very well shielded....but there must be more to it than that it has proved itself beneficial in a fairly wide range of instances.

I have not tried but half dozen of upmarket cords...but this one was the best for 'switch' power supply components I've found.

I mention this as it is already a recommended item in Nuforce's website section: http://www.nuforce.com/recommend/compatible.htm

mcgruder

« Reply #10 on: 20 Jun 2007, 01:38 am »
VW is spot on the money.  Shielded power chords are very important to getting better sound from the 9 SE's.  I have used Blue Circle BC-62, VH Audio Flavor 4 w/ Furutech FI-25 connectors, VHAudio Flavor 1 with Oyaide PC-079 connectors, Element Cables Standard and Red Storm cables, and Ear to Ear Black and Red chords with standard Marinco hospital grade connectors.  The Ear to Ear cables were clearly the best, most likely due to the elaborate shielding and heavy guage silver coated copper wire.  I use ETE power chords throughout my system now.

Viclondon

« Reply #11 on: 22 Jun 2007, 02:00 pm »
Today I replaced my pair of Black Sand Violet with the stock PC supplied with the 9SEv2.
I immediately noticed a big drop in quality in all departments, notably in resolution and soundstage; for example drums and cymbals seemed totally out of focus. I know someone will say that the PC need some burn in and it might be true, but my impressions is that the Nuforce monoblocs are very sensible to PC, as many have said before.
My Black Sand are supposed to be better suited to my CDP and preamp, so I am looking into buying a pair of PCs specifically for the monoblocs. The Signal Cable look very interessant and very attractively priced; I wonder if I should go for the "magic" or the "silver reference". Any thoughts? The Ear to Ear also look interesting, but I could not find anything about them on the web.
Any other users experience of power chords with Nuforce amps are very welcome

timothyharnett

« Reply #12 on: 22 Jun 2007, 07:41 pm »
It's a real trick to get the balance right between the signal and power cords.   I'm using Acoustic Zen Satori on the speaker cable, Chord Signature on the RCA and Krystal Kables Stratos on the power & that seems to be a fairly good balance.