626R Pedestal Photos? / CDWG Question

mateo

626R Pedestal Photos? / CDWG Question
« on: 14 Jun 2007, 04:52 am »
Hi all,

I'm looking to join the VMPS club with a pair of 626's soon. I was wondering two things:

Does anyone have photos of the speakers being used with the OXO pedestal? I've searched the threads and galleries, come up with just the pedestals alone and some other nice photos, but not the combo together. Just curious.

Also, do the 626 CDWGs come in different veneers? The price list says they come only in piano black, but I wasn't sure if this is still the case.

Thanks!

John Casler

Re: 626R Pedestal Photos? / CDWG Question
« Reply #1 on: 14 Jun 2007, 07:41 am »
Hi all,

I'm looking to join the VMPS club with a pair of 626's soon. I was wondering two things:

Does anyone have photos of the speakers being used with the OXO pedestal? I've searched the threads and galleries, come up with just the pedestals alone and some other nice photos, but not the combo together. Just curious.

Also, do the 626 CDWGs come in different veneers? The price list says they come only in piano black, but I wasn't sure if this is still the case.

Thanks!

Hi Mateo,

I have not seen a photo of these "in action", but they are constructed from an actual speaker cabinets, with the the hardware inside, that can also be filled with sandbags  to damp them.

I posted the following info in another thread.

Now Official, the 626R and 626 jr, can be ordered with the OXO (normally $450) but with the 22" height, so it can be used as a Speaker Pedestal.

The price for the Pedestal/OXO is $549.

For comparison, the Beautiful Skylan 4 post stands are $350 for stands only, and the Sound Anchor 4 post stands with "beard", are over $650.

These OXO/Pedestals are 22" H x 9" W x 13.5" D, which fits the 626 cabinet quite well, which is 24H x 10 1/2W x 13 1/2D.

and

Dimensions of the speaker are: 24H x 10 1/2W x 13 1/2D
Dimensions of the OXO/Pedestal: 22" H x 9" W x 13.5" D

Total Height would be 46" (plus a little blue tack between the two)

and while I haven't seen any pics of the combo, these are like the raw cabinets used.

ctviggen

« Reply #2 on: 14 Jun 2007, 12:10 pm »
That is a very cool idea, putting the crossover in the stands. 

mateo

« Reply #3 on: 14 Jun 2007, 03:43 pm »
How about the CDWG? Are there, say, Rosewood ones to match the cabinet, or are they all still Piano Black?

John Casler

« Reply #4 on: 14 Jun 2007, 04:33 pm »
How about the CDWG? Are there, say, Rosewood ones to match the cabinet, or are they all still Piano Black?

Yes, they are only in Piano Black at this time.

Bob Wilcox

« Reply #5 on: 15 Jun 2007, 12:09 am »

I thought the advantage of the external crossover was to get it away from cabinet vibration.

Bob

John Casler

« Reply #6 on: 15 Jun 2007, 12:27 am »

I thought the advantage of the external crossover was to get it away from cabinet vibration.

Bob

Hi Bob,

That is a good point, and it is doubtful that you can ever get the electronics totally isolated from all mechanical and or airborne vibration.

Removing the crossovers from the actual cabinet wall itself as we know helps.  Also removing it from the internal cabinet direct airborne vibrations does too.

If you use a good damping agent, like blue tac, sorbothane, or other between the speaker and the pedestal OXO you will succeed even further, although I would assume it would not be quite as effectvive as to mechanical connection.

To reduce this even further, you can place "sandbags" inside the Pedestal OXO as you feel nessessary to produce a mass based reduction in resonance, and stabilization.

ctviggen

« Reply #7 on: 15 Jun 2007, 09:58 am »
Personally, I'm not convinced that vibrations matter that much for elements such as capacitors, particularly when the current crop of VMPS speakers are as dead as they are.  Also, you could add damping elements between the speaker and the stand, if you're worried about vibrations (of course, then we'd have to get into the "do I uncouple or couple my speakers to the stands" debate, which will run many pages with heated argument and no resolution).  But I'm of the opinion that taking the crossover out of the cabinet is better because then one can go fully active and essentially get rid of the crossover.  So, that's the primary benefit in my mind of an external crossover.  The external crossover is there just as a stopgap between when you can get the time and money to go fully active.

BradJudy

« Reply #8 on: 20 Jun 2007, 04:42 pm »
If you use a good damping agent, like blue tac, sorbothane, or other...

Don't blue tac and sorbothane have opposite goals?  Sorbothane is designed to absorb vibrations (when used properly and the comapny provides tools to calculate the required firmness and size for the application) whereas blue tac is designed to tightly connect two objects to keep one from falling off the other.  For this discussion, it would seem that sorbothane (used properly) would be best if you want to minimize vibrations transmitted to the OXO cabinet and blue tac would be best if you want to couple the speaker to the stand for reducing the overall mechanical vibrations due to the increased mass. 

John Casler

« Reply #9 on: 21 Jun 2007, 01:32 am »
If you use a good damping agent, like blue tac, sorbothane, or other...

Don't blue tac and sorbothane have opposite goals?  Sorbothane is designed to absorb vibrations (when used properly and the comapny provides tools to calculate the required firmness and size for the application) whereas blue tac is designed to tightly connect two objects to keep one from falling off the other.  For this discussion, it would seem that sorbothane (used properly) would be best if you want to minimize vibrations transmitted to the OXO cabinet and blue tac would be best if you want to couple the speaker to the stand for reducing the overall mechanical vibrations due to the increased mass. 

Hi Brad,

You may be right.  I haven't used Blue Tac in years and amybe they changed it.

Last time I used it, it was the consistancy of a combination of mortite and well chewed, chewing gum.

Back then we used it in headshells to damp them, and under the inside of metal TT platters to damp ringing (along with modeling clay and mortite)

It was sticky, but certainly had a vibration damping quality to it.

BUT....as I said maybe now they have made it more rigid.