Picture Of The Day

PhishPhan

Re: Picture Of The Day
« Reply #800 on: 3 May 2009, 01:57 am »

JohnR

« Reply #801 on: 3 May 2009, 04:23 am »
Nice shot - a tricky one with any camera, methinks :thumb:

I wonder whether the mid-tones could be dropped a little to make the sky drop back into the background a little more.

PhishPhan

« Reply #802 on: 3 May 2009, 01:31 pm »
Thanks. I have no idea how to edit pictures, I'm just glad I got the shot. I had to stand in the middle of a busy city road to get the sun to line up with the globe like that.

Scott F.

« Reply #803 on: 5 May 2009, 03:05 am »
This one is from the little Canon SD960 I bought for my wife. The shot is hand held out of my hotel room window (which only opens about 3") on the 40th floor at the mid-town Hilton in NYC. For this shot I had it set at 3.2 second exposure (hence the headlight trails) at F2.8. Unfortunately I don't have CS3 loaded on my portable computer so this one is an unmolested pic.

WerTicus

« Reply #804 on: 5 May 2009, 11:14 am »
pretty sure its a huntsman spider... it was in my kitchen.

Its the tamron 90mm macro again.  that is a 100% crop.

navi

« Reply #805 on: 5 May 2009, 01:59 pm »

Shot this in a million dollar house for the designer of the chair.
I shot it with my 5D mark 2 with the 24-70 2.8
I had a 3 metre by 2.5 metre semi transparent scrim with my Broncolor mobil flash heads shooting through it left of the camera- only way to get that soft natural fill light (so it was like a giant soft box).

PhishPhan

« Reply #806 on: 6 May 2009, 01:50 am »

Mr Content

« Reply #807 on: 6 May 2009, 11:25 am »
Taken at church, very low light :thumb:

WerTicus

« Reply #808 on: 6 May 2009, 04:22 pm »
I'm really into large sky images at the moment.  I think its very cool that I can get large format film type resolution from my little 14mp digital camera. :)

here is tonight's sunset....

ooheadsoo

« Reply #809 on: 7 May 2009, 02:46 am »
I did some sloppy work on this picture.  I don't really know what I'm doing.  I just knew that the original was one of my usual bland blah ugly landscape shots and something had to be done.  Please comment on how I could improve or take it in different directions.

Please don't zoom in on the pic or my manipulations will become all too painfully obvious.

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #810 on: 7 May 2009, 08:26 am »
I really like that sky picture, WerTicus. My first thought was that it looked like a Sigma DP 1 image in its sharpness and colour veracity, but I guess it was the Pentax K20D.
I am almost a complete newbie when it comes to cameras, but I have been drawn to the colour rendering of the Pentax lenses and processors in the 2 years I have got back into cameras. A year ago I lusted after the K20D, but in the last couple of months my attention has turned to the Sigma DP1 and now the DP2. I am willing to make a few concessions to the value of pocketability, and the images I am seeing from the Sigma DP1 and 2 are generally very convincing to me.

This is looking south towards the Olympic Mountains from Victoria, taken with my little Fuji F31fd:

WerTicus

« Reply #811 on: 8 May 2009, 02:08 pm »
The colours of the Pentax was one of the many reasons I bought the k20d.  When I was looking at various cameras there was just never an image produced by the camera that I didn't find pleasing.

Its probably the Samsung cmos sensor - and Pentax primes are supposed to have a certain feel to them too.... that shot was the 35mm f2 pentax FA prime.

I must say I felt similarly about the sigma's sensor technology but the camera as a whole it sounded a bit fiddly.

SharkyRivethead

« Reply #812 on: 9 May 2009, 06:21 am »
 Hello everyone. I just got my new Nikon D60. I'm as giddy as a school girl! I'm very much an armature in this line of art. My wife encourages me, says I have some talent. Next to my home theater, it' a fun hobby.

I am sorry. I'm really bad about my settings and remembering what they are. I'm still trying to keep myself from being confused with the aperture stuff. Since it's my first time posting, I have a lot of catching up to do. I'm very excited about the D60, but a lot of pictures I will be showing will have been taken with my Olympus E20. I will show them later though.

Nikon D60-Nikor 55-200 lens with a Macro lens attachment. Unless I state it, I never photoshop my pictures. I understand it's purpose. But I find people rely on it to much. I think it takes away from the natural vision.  It's not to say that I have not used it. Sometimes pics needs a little extra something or other. I guess I felt the need to say this because the forum I was on before had a lot of very judge mental people.

nathanm

« Reply #813 on: 9 May 2009, 07:31 am »
A new chapter in my ongoing, old school, 'departure from digital' experiments.  Pencil and gouache on paper.  I must say, it's kind of nice to step away from the computer for a change. :)

« Last Edit: 12 May 2009, 06:08 pm by nathanm »

SharkyRivethead

« Reply #814 on: 9 May 2009, 04:33 pm »

Olympus E20-N

Mr Content

« Reply #815 on: 10 May 2009, 09:42 pm »
Just a snap in the kitchen. Just the one doen light on as seen, but turned down low. very good detail for not much light. IMHO that is :thumb:

SharkyRivethead

« Reply #816 on: 11 May 2009, 12:48 am »

This was taken up in San Francisco. It was a 2  second exposure using my Olympus e-20

JohnR

« Reply #817 on: 11 May 2009, 03:02 am »
Please comment on how I could improve or take it in different directions.

You might want to start new threads if you're seeking discussion or comment, this thread is kinda hard to follow.

nathanm

« Reply #818 on: 12 May 2009, 06:07 pm »
« Last Edit: 12 May 2009, 09:03 pm by nathanm »

ooheadsoo

« Reply #819 on: 13 May 2009, 01:24 am »
Cool drawings, nathan.  I especially like the portrait.