Re: Flowers
« Reply #60 on: 7 Sep 2007, 12:21 am »

I like that shot. Very cool.

Cheers

rajacat

• Washington State
« Reply #61 on: 7 Sep 2007, 08:19 pm »
Thanks! :D Here's another one for your pleasure.

by Panasonic FZ-20

nathanm

« Reply #62 on: 7 Sep 2007, 08:32 pm »
Sorry rajacat, but this one was bugging me.  So anyway, if you tweak the curves so the greens are green you might get:

But I do like the purple of the original, so let's have our cake and eat it too:

I suspect it has something to do with that we accept flowers being all different shades, but our minds are used to seeing green foliage so cyan foliage seems "wrong".  But perhaps a real botanist would cringe when a certain flower petal was the wrong hue, but since I've never seen this flower before or know what it's called its color can be 'fuzzy' in the mind's eye.

There, I feel better now. :)  The pink one is nice too, no correction needed there!

rajacat

• Washington State
« Reply #63 on: 7 Sep 2007, 08:44 pm »
If I recall accurately, the actual color was closer to purple than pink. Also it was a cloudy day so the sunlit background is not how it was when the photo was taken however I do like your photoshopped purple sunlit version a lot :thumb:. Of course I do send most of my pics to PS for minor adjustments but I try to keep the adjustments to a minimum. Sometimes I wonder about the accuracy of my monitor too.

--Raj

ipy

« Reply #64 on: 7 Sep 2007, 09:00 pm »
.....I say "he" but for all I know ipy could be a lady........
For the record, I 'm a he :weights: & like some of us was displaying a bit of the "gentle" side in all of us  :D.  Searched the archives & found this & hope fully this is masculine enough  :D .......

Levi

« Reply #65 on: 1 Nov 2007, 04:20 am »

Levi

« Reply #66 on: 1 Nov 2007, 04:20 am »
ok.  Closer.

drphoto

« Reply #67 on: 2 Nov 2007, 02:43 am »
Hey Raj,

If you are worried about how your monitor displays your Pshop images.....here's a simple thing you can do, short of buying a monitor calibrator device. This is based on using the numbers Pshop displays in the "Info" box. It's called the "step wedge" test.

Make a "new" document that will fill most of your screen. It doesn't matter what rez or size in fact, just so that it covers your display. Now what you want to do is create a strip of grey blocks that go from 100% black to 100% white (zero to 255 in pshop) in 10% increments. Use your marquee tool and fill. Here's the MOST IMPORTANT part, use the greys from the the color picker. If you look at the 50% grey block it will read 147 for RB&B. All of the blocks will display the same value for RGB.......hence it is a neutral grey....they key to this test.

Once you've created this image, see if it has a color cast to your eyes. If it does...then tweak the monitor. The values of grey in Pshop are true, if they look funny, then it is the monitor.

After you get the color then look at contrast/brightness. Are the low values well separated? If not, try playing with the monitor contrast. If you have to radically adjust contrast/brightness you may need to tweak color again.

From what I've seen, most consumer monitors tend to be way too contrasty and a bit blue.

Remember....the numbers in "Info" are you best friend when if comes to color. Now most of us don't know the number for a specific red, but if you find an area in the image that should be neutral grey, then the RGB numbers should all be pretty close. BTW, don't work in CYMK or greyscale....stay w/ RGB.

Hope this helps.

If you're totally confused, PM me.

regards,

joe

nathanm

« Reply #68 on: 2 Nov 2007, 03:08 am »
A quick shortcut on making the step wedge for impatient people:

1. Make new document
2. Draw black to white gradient horizontally from edge to edge with No Dither
3. Image...Adjustments...Posterize
4. Choose the number of levels you want.

Sure it might not be as accurate as filling boxes with colors, but it's quicker and close enough.  :)

ooheadsoo

« Reply #69 on: 2 Nov 2007, 03:32 am »
What about using this: http://www.photofriday.com/calibrate.php
or any number of other pre-made calibration images found online?

Like this? http://www.jasc.com/support/kb/articles/monitor.asp

SET Man

« Reply #70 on: 26 Jan 2008, 04:42 am »
Hey!

It a type of lotus if you wonder. :D Taken in Thailand 2006.

Take care,
Buddy :thumb:

SET Man

« Reply #71 on: 13 Jul 2008, 12:22 am »
Hey!

Take care,

SET Man

« Reply #72 on: 4 Jun 2010, 02:21 am »
Hey!

Here are pictures of two of my orchids' blooms this year...

These are Phalaenopsis orchid or "moth" orchid. I got the purple one almost 6 years and the yellow one 5 years ago. Both where bought at Home Depot here in NYC. Of course I changed the pot and the grow medium after I got them. They have been blooming once a year since I got them. So, I guess that's mean they are happy. :D

I do have two more I recently bought last year but the flowers are now gone on those two. But they should bloom again next year. :D

Take care,

jqp

• Volunteer
  • Each CD lovingly placed in the nOrh CD-1
« Reply #73 on: 26 Apr 2011, 03:12 am »
A few shots from a university greenhouse