Pre Out Mod for 502b

editmm

Pre Out Mod for 502b
« on: 14 Aug 2003, 08:22 pm »
I have an older stock "new to me" 502b amp. I must be the first ver of the 502b because the box said 502a on the outside....
I was looking  to add a pre out line so i can add my sub to my system.  my question is will that mod change the output of the amp?  will I loose anything to my speakers?
I wouldn't mind having you drilling into the amp to add the RCAs.
How would this mod differ from the sub output mod?
How much would the mod cost?
and what else can I do to improve the sound on a lower budget?
thanks,
Andrew

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
  • Purity Audio Design -Custom Design and Manufacturi
    • Musica Bella Audio
Pre Out Mod for 502b
« Reply #1 on: 15 Aug 2003, 02:59 pm »
Hi Andrew, sorry for the delay but I am in NY and computers don't work to well without electricity.

It sounds like you may have an early 502B if it arrived in an "A" box or if you have had it fdor some time.

As far as sub out mods go. I have been working on a proper network that does not take away from the output of the amplifier itself while allowing plenty of gain to the sub amp. I have come up with the proper setup that has been working out nicely for the pass few weeks. I just relayed this info to Jolida themselves yesterday.
  Basically, the sub out is the same as a pre out.

I would only have to drill into the back if you required keeping all four inputs that are currently on your amp. If not, I can use one of the existing RCA sets and convert it into a sub/pre out.

As far as improvements on a budget, some of the upgrades that make  a difference are as follows: Soft recovery diodes, Couplings capacitors, PS bypass capacitors, and resisistors.
  From there you would look into the volume pot, signal wiring, source selector and bypassing the balance.
  There are obviously various levels of what you want to do within the amp to bring out more of the potential these products have to offer.

Please feel free to give me a call or send me an email for further information or pricing on upgrade packages.