LifeForce Platinum

stvnharr

LifeForce Platinum
« on: 10 Jun 2007, 03:46 pm »
Okay, here I go again.  I have now installed a pair of .47uf Platinums as input caps in my LF 55.  This amp is in my "other" system and does not have the GK-1.  So I am hoping for the GK-1 Platinum improvement with this installation.  Caps are installed direct to the rca and then to the attenuator, so it's pretty similar to the GK-1 installation, just no gain stage between cap and attenuator.  I removed the stock C1 cap and used a wire link across the board in it's place.
I only did this yesterday and have only listened to a couple discs, so cannot have many comments at this time.  It seemed as if the effect was similar to the GK-1 installation as the one disc I listened to was one I had recently listened to before I installed the caps.
Eventually I won't have two systems, so the Platinum LF will be combined with the GK-1 Platinum in a real tour de audio force.
Also, when .1uf Platinum's become available again I will likely install a pair as output couplers, as might as well go all the way.

Dave Ellis has reported improvements with using the .1uf Platinums in his speaker crossovers.  That involves quite a few caps, depending on one's crossover networks, so I'm hoping the output couplers will be a nice compromise.  However, anytime the word compromise enters the equation, that usually means a bit less than more.  But perhaps this time it will be just the money and not the sound.

Maybe after a month or so I'll post again, as all should be installed and well listened to by that time.

Steve

Jens

Re: LifeForce Platinum
« Reply #1 on: 10 Jun 2007, 08:03 pm »
Interesting, Steve! Please keep us updated on sound impact :drool:

kyrill

« Reply #2 on: 10 Jun 2007, 08:11 pm »
Good
i gladly follow yr roses
and share your audio bliss :thumb:

AKSA

« Reply #3 on: 11 Jun 2007, 12:34 am »
Gawd,

Steve, this is getting to be Xtreme Awdyo!!

I think this is really pushing the limits, thank you sincerely for your efforts!

Cheers,

Hugh

PS  Lots of rain in Oz, but water restrictions still in force.  The end of El Nino??  I wonder.......

stvnharr

« Reply #4 on: 11 Jun 2007, 02:30 am »
Well, I've been able to listen to some familiar music today, AND, the Platinums are working their magic here just like in the GK-1.  In fact, on the LF they just seem to fully enhance all the good things that the LF does, like increased low level detail, spacial information, and bass.
I waited for 100 listening hours before making any comment of the Platinum GK-1, but I found the effect to be immediately noticeable from installation, and I never really noticed much change as time progressed.  It all may have been too subtle for me to pick up, I don't know.  With these there is no WOW factor, you just hear more music, and it all sounds so natural.

A manufacturer, especially one on a shoestring like Hugh, cannot really afford the cost to keep these things in inventory.  So, it all has to be on some kind of special edition option, or user install.  The cost to me is not all that much, especially for the return.  But the cost to Hugh for a projected 10-15 units is quite large.  That's why Special Edition units of fancy hi-fi gear always cost a lot more than just the cost of the associated parts.

Double Ugly

« Reply #5 on: 11 Jun 2007, 02:55 am »
With these there is no WOW factor, you just hear more music, and it all sounds so natural.

Well said, Steve.  :thumb:

I've enjoyed several components wherein the 'regular' caps were replaced with Platinums, and your description of their impact and effect mirrors my experiences.  Money well spent IMHO.

Regards,

-Jim

PS - I'll take my two LifeForces and Swift pre- fully equipped with Platinums, Hugh... at no extra charge, of course.  :wink:  :lol:

stvnharr

« Reply #6 on: 11 Jun 2007, 03:41 am »

this is getting to be Xtreme Awdyo!!

Why be normal when you can be Xtreme Awdyo!!

Jens

« Reply #7 on: 11 Jun 2007, 08:39 am »
Thanks, Steve! I agree that the Platinum caps do not really need a lot of burn-in - and yes, their effect is immediately audible, no doubt about it. I feel there is a subtle change over time, but it is subtle (perhaps this was easier heard because I changed two caps at the same time in my GK-1R ...).

The Platinums are certainly well worth the effort and the money :wink:

multibit16

« Reply #8 on: 12 Jun 2007, 06:28 pm »
Sorry I can't comment how well the Platinums sound in the Lifeforce but I did try them in my Aksa N+ today,  because the other components feeding the amp uses no coupling caps these caps on the input section usually have quite an effect on the sound.
Anyway to cut a long story short the Platinums are the  best capacitors I've tried for sure:)
I find they have a slight coloration in the midrange but its extremely nice,  its almost addictive! hard to explain, theres more details seem to be heard yet these caps don't sound bright or harsh, I found just about every other cap adds coloration but usually its the sort that annoys the ears.

Other caps I've tried are
Jensen PIO coppers
Multicap RTX
M-cap ZN
Auricaps 
BG NX Hi-Q
Evox MMK
Evox PPS
Wima MKP
« Last Edit: 12 Jun 2007, 06:40 pm by multibit16 »

Johnny

« Reply #9 on: 12 Jun 2007, 08:25 pm »
Are these the Sonicap Platinums y'all are talking about?
Whats the best/cheapest  place to get'm?
Thanks,
John

stvnharr

« Reply #10 on: 13 Jun 2007, 01:26 am »
The Soniccraft Platinums are available from soniccraft - www.soniccraft.com.  Danny Ritchie at GR Research may have some as well.

stvnharr

« Reply #11 on: 1 Jul 2007, 10:53 pm »
I now have the FULL FORCE of Platinums in my LF55, having just installed a .1uf Platinum for the output coupler in each channel.  This is a quick and easy install as there are no board or other modifications needed.  Just unsolder and remove the stock cap and install the Platinum.  The leads are same size and original holes work just fine.  You could even put the cap on top of the board instead of underneath if you wish, as the leads are quite long.

As with the GK-1, the output cap modification does not have the impact as the input cap modification.  However, I do find the music to be a bit nicer and pleasing.

If you want to get the most out of your Life Force amplifier, the Platinum input cap is a definite no-brainer. They make everything that is good about the Life Force even better!!  If you want to go the little bit extra and have the full force of the Platinum cap magic, then do the output couplers as well.

Then, just sit back, relax, enjoy some music and forget about, well, everything but the music!

Steve

kyrill

« Reply #12 on: 2 Jul 2007, 09:00 am »
ah  i recognise one happy camper

But eh ..stynhar
what about the eddies? :angel:  :wink:
« Last Edit: 2 Jul 2007, 09:33 am by kyrill »

stvnharr

« Reply #13 on: 4 Jul 2007, 12:38 pm »

But eh ..stvnharr
what about the eddies? :angel:  :wink:

Well, I find that something like the Platinums installed into the actual electrical circuit, have an actual audible effect that is easily heard.
I am a bit sceptical of the paranormal phenomenon aspects alluded to in the other thread.
But it's a good discussion.

kyrill

« Reply #14 on: 4 Jul 2007, 01:35 pm »
fair enough but i can hear it, try at night when it is quiet to remove the enclosure from yr preamp and amp and cd player, for sofar possible

Harry Pearson from the Absolute Sound, which I was a subscriber for more than 12 years removed once ( 16 years ago0 the cage around an expensive tube power amp and heard to his surprise it sounded more open.
but you may read "all kinds of interesting things" on  http://www.mother-of-tone.com/
http://www.clarisonus.com/blog/?p=183
« Last Edit: 4 Jul 2007, 01:49 pm by kyrill »

dem626

« Reply #15 on: 22 Dec 2007, 03:30 pm »
stvnharr this is great information.  I don't think I can resist making this upgrade to my Lifeforce.

Do you (or anyone) know if the cap values would be the same for the LF100 (.47uf for input and .1 for output)? 

Also, what is the attenuator you are referring to?  Is that just what follows the input cap in the ciruit?  If not, can you tell me more so I can find it?

Thanks,
Doug

stvnharr

« Reply #16 on: 22 Dec 2007, 09:42 pm »
stvnharr this is great information.  I don't think I can resist making this upgrade to my Lifeforce.

Do you (or anyone) know if the cap values would be the same for the LF100 (.47uf for input and .1 for output)? 

Also, what is the attenuator you are referring to?  Is that just what follows the input cap in the ciruit?  If not, can you tell me more so I can find it?

Thanks,
Doug

I believe the input and output caps are the same for LF100, but perhaps someone else could confirm this.
The amp in question is wired with a series attenuator on each channel at the input signal of the amp, in lieu of using a preamp for volume control.  It's just something I did, not a standard set up at all.

kyrill

« Reply #17 on: 23 Dec 2007, 10:24 am »
How can the signal determine that the output cap is not the next amps input cap?
are input and output cap not seen ,although in series not together as a "whole", one unity, that is one cap? (1/Cx=1/C1+1/C2)
so the output of the GK1 is part of the input of the LF or AKSA
i would never use an input cap on the poweramp as i know the outputcap of the preamp is SAFE enough

you considerably lower the caps value and therefore its cost and lower sound quality at the same time by putting caps in series

Only very sensitive DC servo units I found out, may get nervous about DC leakage behind the cap in the case of tubes.

stvnharr

« Reply #18 on: 27 Jan 2008, 06:42 am »
Time for a LifeForce update:
I've now been able to combine my Platinum LifeForce 55 with my GK-1 Platinum preamp.  This is definitely the way to go!!!  The tubed output stage of the GK-1 really compliments the LF amp in a wonderful way.  After months and months of living and listening to the LF straight from the source player, I have to say that it's all much better run thru the GK-1.
I've also left all the Platinum caps in, although having an input Platinum on the amp is a bit redundant since there is a Mundorf silver/oil on the preamp output. I just can't be bothered to shuffle all the caps around and take the Mundorf's out.  I just don't think anything much would noticeably change.

Steve

AKSA

« Reply #19 on: 27 Jan 2008, 07:48 am »
Oh Dear.......  :nono:

I feel the Platinum is the single best way to improve the GK1, you chaps have shown me the way!!    :duh:

You can reduce the value of the input cap on the LF slightly to 0.33uF if you use a teflon.  It is quite sufficient, but the cap is large and must be mounted off board.  Take care not to expose it to AC fields from a trafo or wiring, as these caps, being large, are susceptible to AC induction.

The cap you've replaced on the output stage is the charge suckout, Steve, it's a very important cap, too, but inside the fb loop, so not as influential as the input cap.

Lyn likes the teflon-ed GK1 with his Soraya, too, reckons it's VERY complimentary.  I've just returned from a listen at his home, thank you Lyn, GREAT sound!!

Cheers,

Hugh