Big Red Machine's V3 Monster Center

jsalk

Big Red Machine's V3 Monster Center
« on: 10 Jun 2007, 02:43 pm »
Pete recently installed a pair of V3's in his home theater (http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=39021.0).  But he wanted a full-range. 3-way center channel to go along with them.

So after Dennis Murphy did his usual phenomenal work on the crossover design, we installed the crossovers and drivers in Pete's cabinet.

Here is a pic of the front...

This is a MONSTER center channel - 36" wide, 14" tall and 14" deep.  We used two speaker stands to support it for these photos.

Both Visaton woofers are ported and the LCY tweeter and Visaton mid are sealed.

Here is a different perspective...

Happy listening Pete and Brenda!

- Jim
« Last Edit: 21 Jun 2007, 03:43 pm by jsalk »

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
Re: Big Red Machine's V3 Monster Center
« Reply #1 on: 11 Jun 2007, 02:30 am »
I'm not seeing any picture? :scratch:

Papajin

« Reply #2 on: 11 Jun 2007, 05:49 am »
That's how good this speaker is!  It literally disappears!

Ron Stewart

• http://home.hiwaay.net/~rgs/
« Reply #3 on: 20 Jun 2007, 05:03 pm »
The image URLs in Jim's original posting have some backslashes where forward slashes should be. Here are the images.

Ron

BradJudy

« Reply #4 on: 20 Jun 2007, 07:15 pm »
That's a great grain pattern and I expect an excellent sounding speaker.   :thumb:

Big Red Machine

« Reply #5 on: 21 Jun 2007, 12:09 pm »
Well I finally have it home and gave a whirl last night.  Wasn't an action flick, but the thing Brenda and I both noticed was how we didn't notice it was there (sound, not physically that is).

Really mates well with the V3 floorstanders.  Maybe tonight I can try an action film and crank it up.

I'll try to post some photos here.

http://new.photos.yahoo.com/pad8947@sbcglobal.net/album/576460762363759922/photo/294928804429542682/28

http://new.photos.yahoo.com/pad8947@sbcglobal.net/album/576460762363759922/photo/294928804429568506/29

jsalk

« Reply #6 on: 21 Jun 2007, 03:11 pm »
Pete -

...but the thing Brenda and I both noticed was how we didn't notice it was there (sound, not physically that is).

You bring up a very important point.  The first time I hooked up a full complement of Veracity speakers in my home theater and watched a movie, I noticed something about half way through.  I was completely unaware of the speakers.

With home theater, "suspension of disbelief" is a very important aspect of a fully engaging cinematic experience.  If you notice how good the speakers sound, you are not fully engaged.  A failure to notice them is extremely important.

It makes no difference if you are listening to a movie soundtrack or great music.  Your attention should never be drawn to the speakers, but rather you should be fully engaged in the experience. That is the best indication of how well your set-up is performing.

- Jim
« Last Edit: 21 Jun 2007, 03:44 pm by jsalk »

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #7 on: 22 Jun 2007, 03:34 am »
Very beautiful, now that I can see it! :)

Big Red Machine

« Reply #8 on: 9 Jul 2007, 01:15 am »
Hey Dennis.  Now that I have my processor dialed in I have the proper levels going to my fronts.  I have the L and R crossed over at 40 hz and the center at 50 hz.  They all blend very well together and I have the center 1 db hot because I like it that way.  I am extremely happy with how all 3 speakers just disappear into the dark landscape up front but still provide tons of detailed sound.

Thanks Dennis for the great xovers.  Looking forward to showing them off again this fall in another HEMI meet.

DMurphy

• Industry Participant
    • SalkSound
« Reply #9 on: 9 Jul 2007, 01:53 pm »
Glad everything worked out (and together).  I'm running mine with a pair of what amount to Ellis 1801's with dual subs, and there's no problem with blend.  I'm actually very happy with the way the center turned out.   It seems to be very articulate without calling attention to itself.  Well, sound-wise anyhow.  It's kind of hard to miss visually.