Gain change with SWL 9.0 tube-rectification upgrade?

sleepysurf

• Member of the Suncoast Audiophile Society
    • Suncoast Audiophile Society
I had Dan upgrade my SWL 9.0SE to the tube-rectified PSU, along with the latest board upgrades (but not upgraded caps).  I'm running the stock Sovtek 5AR4.  The new soundstage is definitely lusher, more musical, and now has "imaging to die for."  After just 25 hrs listening, it keeps getting better and better!

One thing I'm wondering though... the upgraded unit has lower output "gain" than before.  I used to listen with the volume at ~9-10 o'clock, but now need to crank it to ~11-12 o'clock to get the same sound levels.  Is this typical when going from the SS to tube rectification?  Fortunately, the background remains dead silent, so I'm asking just for curiousity sake.

Also, for those who've tube rolled to the Mullard 5AR4, please describe the sonic pros/cons (if any) for doing so.  Is it truly worth the $$ outlay to do so?

Thanks!

cwt108

Re: Gain change with SWL 9.0 tube-rectification upgrade?
« Reply #1 on: 9 Jun 2007, 04:20 pm »
Since the start (with Sovtek 5AR4 with Tube rectified PSU and then Mullard), I am always playing around 7~8 clocks. I start to wonder if there is something wrong with mine.

Papajin

« Reply #2 on: 9 Jun 2007, 08:18 pm »
It's going to depend on your amp somewhat I would think as well.  On my previous amp I had to crank the volume way up, near probably around the 2'ish area or even beyond.  On my current amp around the 10-11 position is plenty loud.  I haven't sent in for an upgrade yet though.

sleepysurf

« Reply #3 on: 9 Jun 2007, 08:26 pm »
It's going to depend on your amp somewhat I would think as well.

In my case, same amp and sources as before.  Only change was the tube rectification upgrade.

modwright

« Reply #4 on: 10 Jun 2007, 05:37 am »
Hi, the gain change is not surprising, but typically there is a slight increase in gain, due to the change in plate resistor value and increased plate voltage.  I can't think of why there would be a slight decrease in gain.  If you are concerned or things don't sound right, then by all means contact us.

Thanks,

Dan W.

Ispec2

« Reply #5 on: 10 Jun 2007, 11:10 am »
I have also had the same experience as Sleepysurf, better sound just more gain needed.

modwright

« Reply #6 on: 13 Jun 2007, 06:14 am »
Okay, well then perhaps I am mistaken.  I will need to re-measure the gain before and after.  I believed the difference to be a slight increase in gain.  I find that some people find the stock 9.0SE to have too much gain however, so I will take this as a good thing :).

Thanks,

Dan

sleepysurf

« Reply #7 on: 21 Jun 2007, 12:27 am »
FYI... after tube rolling to a Mullard 5AR4 (which, BTW, is a magnificent step up from the stock Sovtek), I noticed the output gain is almost back to where it was.  I guess the total gain is somewhat tube dependant and/or the upgrade needed more burn-in time.  Overall a moot point, as the background is dead quiet even if I crank the volume waaay up.  The tube rectification upgrade was well-worth it, and even more so now that I have a Mullard 5AR4 tube.  Kudos to Dan for taking his design to the next level!