23.00 mod for Phillips 963sa

Ears

« on: 14 Aug 2003, 04:17 am »
I previously had damped the case and transport of the 963sa and also added a large bybee to the mains.
I also tried a couple of pc's,settling on the Audience pc.

All of this made this great for the dollar player sound much better than stock.

My latest mod was to take the three screws out of the ps board,take it out and remove[desolder] the main ps cap and replace it with a Blackgate Vk 150/350v power cap.
The BG cap is a larger diameter cap but it fit like it was made to be there and cost a whopping 23.00

This one easy cap change has improved soundstage width,depth,clarity,inner detail ect to an amazing degree.

I had always planned on doing a few mods to this player, one at a time to see what gives the best results.
The 23.00 BG ps cap of stock value has improved the player more than all previous mods put together, including the Audience pc.

Best 23.00 I have ever spent on anything and I am now a huge BG power supply cap believer and fan.

This mod is super easy and I would say most could easily handle it.
It took around 10 minutes to unscrew the case,ps board and install the new cap.
I would imagine that the other multi format players out there from Denon,Pioneer and Sony ect would also benifit from this cheap and easy mod.

randytsuch

« Reply #1 on: 14 Aug 2003, 06:03 am »
Give the gate about one month to break in, then see what you think.  The most break in occurs in the first week, but it  takes a while for them to fully break in.

Randy

Ears

« Reply #2 on: 15 Aug 2003, 12:34 am »
Randy, I have had it running 24/7 for 8 days and I definitly can hear that the sonics get even better after a week.

randytsuch

« Reply #3 on: 15 Aug 2003, 12:39 am »
Hi,
For another cost effective improvement, you might try replacing the bridge rectifiers with Fairchild Freds.  Worked for me.  Some people like Schotkys too, but you have to make sure the voltage is high enough, where it is easy to find high voltage freds.

It's cheap, and pretty simple.  Just make sure you put the diodes in the right way.  And the tabs will be hot, make sure they don't touch anything, or insulate them.

Randy

Ears

« Reply #4 on: 15 Aug 2003, 03:18 am »
I, am doing a 20 cap upgrade to the signal path nex't...all with BG caps and after that,I am thinking Superclock2 and possible opamp upgrades.
The rectifiers are on the list also,but  I plan on doing the mods one at a time to see which mods are best sonically.

The goal is 2.5-3k cd only player sonics whith the bonus of much better sacd  sonics and even HT sonics in one box.

If 600.00 in mods is enough to reach this goal, it remains to be seen,or rather.. heard.

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.vinnierossi.com
That BG cap
« Reply #5 on: 2 Sep 2003, 12:07 pm »
Hi Ears,

Where did you get that $23.00 Black Gate cap from?  My Pioneer 45A uses a 100uF, 250V mains cap in the switching power supply.  I really want to try that BG.   :wink:

Thanks,

Vinnie

Jay S

« Reply #6 on: 2 Sep 2003, 01:33 pm »
How good is the 963SA as a transport once you've done all the power supply and clock mods?  I want to use a dac, but want to replace my Cary cd player with an sacd/dvd player so that I can move my Toshiba dvd player to my bedroom.  I tried a stock Pioneer 47Ai in my system and it was pretty far from my Cary as a transport.

Ears

« Reply #7 on: 2 Sep 2003, 11:15 pm »
Vinnie, I got the cap and most all my upgrade parts from www.referenceaudiomods.com
They are touting the Jensen four pole cap as even better than the BG power caps when used on a ps.

I am sure they have a BG power cap that is close to your Pioneers.

Jay, the idea behind full mods on a multiplayer [ for me]is to not desire the use of aftermarket dacs for redbook.
This player is lightweight... as in 13.5 #s in the box with dampening but before mods.

I highly doubt the 963sa stock would make a good transport but my former  player, the Sony 9000es might fit the bill with its better build quality and weight.

I am not done with the mods yet, and probably won't be for another month.

I may have a Modwright modded, level 2 Sony 9000es for sale in about a month.... this would be a great transport with upgraded 2 ch sacd sonics as a bonus.

randytsuch

« Reply #8 on: 2 Sep 2003, 11:16 pm »
Quote from: Ears
I, am doing a 20 cap upgrade to the signal path nex't...all with BG caps and after that,I am thinking Superclock2 and possible opamp upgrades.
The rectifiers are on the list also,but  I plan on doing the mods one at a time to see which mods are best sonically.

The goal is 2.5-3k cd only player sonics whith the bonus of much better sacd  sonics and even HT sonics in one box.

If 600.00 in mods is enough to reach this goal, it remains to be seen,or rather.. heard.

Hi Ears,
Michael Percy and referenceaudiomods both sell blackgates.  I think reference has better prices and service.  Percy carries some stuff the reference does not, and vice versa.

Randy

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #9 on: 3 Sep 2003, 12:48 am »
Quote from: Ears
Vinnie, I got the cap and most all my upgrade parts from www.referenceaudiomods.com
They are touting the Jensen four pole cap as even better than the BG power caps when used on a ps.

I am sure they have a BG power cap that is close to your Pioneers.

Ears,

Thanks for the link!  I noticed that they only have the cap you mentioned in the 'lug' type, not the standard through-hole type that would replace my stock cap.  Is this what you bought?

Thanks,

Vinnie

Ears

« Reply #10 on: 3 Sep 2003, 02:01 pm »
Vinnie, the VK cap fit in the stock holes on the 963sa ps board without problem.
You can use other  power section caps that closely match your stock caps values, I believe these are Wk series.

You could e mail reference audio mods for possible options on your player.

Greg

Jay S

« Reply #11 on: 3 Sep 2003, 02:18 pm »
Yes, I agree that a modded universal (or at least SACD/CD/DVD) player that betters one of my dacs (Mensa Plus DI/O, Scott Nixon TubeDac) would be idea -- less cables, less components.  I am just not sure if a modded player would surpass these dacs (only 1 way to find out, of course) so if the mods make them at least as good a transport as my Cary 303 then that would cut down the risk and make me inclined to take the plunge....

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #12 on: 3 Sep 2003, 06:55 pm »
another great source for parts like blackgates - great pricing & service:

http://partsconnexion.com/partscomponents.php

doug s.

kana813

« Reply #13 on: 9 Sep 2003, 06:29 pm »
Vinnie- I also have a 45A and installed the BG VK 150uf/350vdc cap in the power supply.It take some adjustment of the nearby part parts, but it can be installed in the stock holes.

Upgraded some other caps in the power supply and the main board.
The key targets are the C350/360 - 47uf/16vdc coupling caps in the 2 channel output, Replaced those with BG FKs.

Also, put in a IEC, replaced the AC bridge reticfiers with GS Ultrafast
8.0A units and dampen the chassis with Blackhole pad.

Good improvement, but as stated the BGs take a while to break-in. 8)

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #14 on: 9 Sep 2003, 08:08 pm »
Quote from: kana813
Vinnie- I also have a 45A and installed the BG VK 150uf/350vdc cap in the power supply.It take some adjustment of the nearby part parts, but it can be installed in the stock holes.

Upgraded some other caps in the power supply and the main board.
The key targets are the C350/360 - 47uf/16vdc coupling caps in the 2 channel output, Replaced those with BG FKs.

Also, put in a IEC, replaced the AC bridge reticfiers with GS Ultrafast
8.0A units and dampen the chassis with Blackhole pad.

Good improvement, but as stated the BGs take a while to break-in. 8)

Thanks everyone for your BG info!  I need to get one, along with some higher performance diodes.

-Vinnie