WTB: Devore Gibbon 9 or Super 8

WEEZ

Re: WTB: Devore Gibbon 9 or Super 8
« Reply #40 on: 14 Jun 2007, 09:55 pm »
Shane,

Would you care to be more specific? Thanks..

WEEZ

toobluvr

« Reply #41 on: 14 Jun 2007, 10:06 pm »
Having owned and thoroughly enjoyed the smaller Gibbons monitors for about a year now, I gotta say that I am quite surprised by these negative comments. 

Over the years I have heard and owned many speakers.  While the DeVores may not be exactly to ones taste, or may fail to push ones buttons precisely, it is hard for me to imagine anyone thinking that they are just flat out bad!      :dunno:

toobluvr

« Reply #42 on: 14 Jun 2007, 10:14 pm »
IMO, amplifier/speaker match is everything.

I agree 100%!
But apparently Shane is a dealer, so he has access to many amps.

I only tried my DeVore monitors with the 3 amps that I have on hand, and they are wonderful with all of them.  Hard for me to imagine that he was not able to find a good match/synergy.

miklorsmith

« Reply #43 on: 14 Jun 2007, 10:18 pm »
I've heard Super 8's with lower-end Naim (ss), higher-end Naim, and Shindo (tubes).  All were lovely.

toobluvr

« Reply #44 on: 14 Jun 2007, 10:23 pm »
OK....

On my Gibbons 3 monitors, I used:

* Dodd Audio 120 monos
* Blue Circle BC-24
* Sansui 771 receiver  (my first stereo, circa 1975,  and still going strong!)

All three work very well, and produce a musical sound that is liquid and nuanced, but most importantly, has good "emotional pull".

toobluvr

« Reply #45 on: 14 Jun 2007, 10:29 pm »
Wow, Dodd 120s on Gibbon 3? Talk about putting a V8 into a Miata!  :)

Yeah..... :lol:

Dodds are in the main system, Gibbons are in the bedroom system.
I never intended to keep them together, but curiousity, and too much time on my hands,  got the better of me!

hometheaterdoc

• Industry Participant
« Reply #46 on: 14 Jun 2007, 10:53 pm »
removed
« Last Edit: 14 Jun 2007, 11:29 pm by hometheaterdoc »

miklorsmith

« Reply #47 on: 14 Jun 2007, 11:20 pm »
Removed
« Last Edit: 14 Jun 2007, 11:37 pm by miklorsmith »

fly_fish_nz

« Reply #48 on: 14 Jun 2007, 11:43 pm »
I owned Gibbon 8's for two years and my experience was closer to that of the 6 Moon reviewers than theater docs.  I do recall that they seemed slightly tipped in the presence region, but never harsh or thin.  The fit and finish were certainly very good, maybe not quite to the level of dynaudio's I've owned (they are of a different visual design esthetic than dyns) but as good or better than most I've owned - note that I'm not commenting on the visual design which I happen to also like, but the execution and craftwork.  Reading Stereophile's reviews, I found it interesting that the reviewer loved the Silverbacks - currently rated Class A, though they did not measure that well.  As I recall, John Devore noted that the speakers are built to sound good in-room, where there is significant interaction with walls.  In my rooms the 8's sounded very good.   

michaelavorgna

« Reply #49 on: 14 Jun 2007, 11:54 pm »
I own the DeVore super 8s and between the amps I own and what I've reviewed, they've had a bunch of partners. The short list includes the Fi 421A, Fi 45, Shindo F2a, Rogue Audio Cronus, First Watt Aleph J, Magnum Dynalab MD-208 and the Red Wine Sig 30.

While I have my personal preferences, there wasn’t a clinker combo in the bunch. Room, associated gear, music preferences and listening preferences are all equally important. So I certainly agree that you need to hear things for yourself. Especially since there aren’t any MDs of hi-fi.

mcullinan

« Reply #50 on: 15 Jun 2007, 12:48 am »
Yes let peoples opinions stand as long as they are from direct experience and not heresay.
Mike

WEEZ

« Reply #51 on: 15 Jun 2007, 12:48 am »
huh :?

leave the computer to eat supper with my wife and posts go away....

oh well,

TheChairGuy

« Reply #52 on: 15 Jun 2007, 02:09 am »
The opinions expressed here on AudioCircle and just that - opinions - often by seasoned audiophools  :)

I see nothing in this topic to indicate anything more than expression, and thoughtful opinion.   Our members views are not for sale at any price, they cannot be censured for merely expressing their opinions.  Indeed, most of the posts have been very positive about DeVore - should we delete this as well as someone expressed a positive opinion of them?

This matter is wholly in the hands of tvad to do nothing or rectify somehow....we as Moderators will not remove thoughtful opinions of makers unless we feel it is motivated by too much subjectivity, and little objectivity.  As all the facts here are not known, all the opinions here in this post stand for now. 

Let me make clear to any manufacturer, or member, that the mere mention of defamation and or lawsuit will have you permanently and immediately banned from AudioCircle for mention of such threats either towards other members or Moderators/Facilitators here.  We will not be bullied by strong arm tactics of any manufacturer and will remain a little audio outpost on the internet where folks are free to express their opinions, good and bad, without reprisal from offended manufacturers.

We moderate these boards so that the opinions expressed are generally quite civil and don't unduly ruffle feathers - and we maintain this right for any member and or manufacturer or dealer that is here.

tvad -  you may do as you wish in communication with others, or on your own.  But, you (and others) have our voice of support to express yourself in the same thoughtful, reasonable manner you always have at AudioCircle.

Thank you for your time everyone - please enjoy the show  :peek:

John / Global Moderator

michaelavorgna

« Reply #53 on: 15 Jun 2007, 02:35 am »
as long as they are from direct experience and not heresay

I'd add: as long as they aren't motivated or biased by business interests.

While this may be a contentious notion, one easy rule of thumb is if a guy is trying to discourage you from buying something he doesn't sell (even though you've already expressed interest in buying it) while trying to sell you something he does, add one grain of salt.

michaelavorgna

« Reply #54 on: 15 Jun 2007, 12:17 pm »
No larger a grain of salt than one added when reading a review authored by a personal friend of the manufacturer.

Hi Tvad,

In general, I'd say disclosure is the key in your example.

Since our choices in audio come down to personal preferences, bias is unavoidable. Again disclosure is key. Or in keeping with our theme, you'd need a very large salt shaker to ward off all the bias attached to opinions.

Cheers,
Michael

michaelavorgna

« Reply #55 on: 15 Jun 2007, 03:20 pm »
I believe if you re-read my post where I talk about my experiences with these speakers, I was answering your question:

It'd be great if everyone would specify which amps they used with the Gibbons...whether they proved a good match or awful match.

Since I own the Super 8s and have tried a lot of different amps with them, I thought this experience would be of interest. The fact that I know John DeVore doesn't seem relevant at all in this context.

michaelavorgna

« Reply #56 on: 15 Jun 2007, 03:25 pm »
Say Tvad,

Did you edit your last post? It's either that or I mis-read it the first time. In any event:

The only reason I'm aware of it is from reading one of your Gibbon reviews (or Devore tour articles...I don't recall which)

I've never reviewed a DeVore speaker. You are referring to a Factory Tour I wrote (thanks for reading btw).

Srajan Ebaen

• Industry Participant
« Reply #57 on: 15 Jun 2007, 03:53 pm »
To be sure, I know of Michael's friendship with John DeVore which is precisely the reason why he doesn't write formal reviews on this brand for us. You'll notice the Nines are bound for Cyprus.  However, for the same reason, a factory tour by Michael seemed very much on the ball as such a relationship opens doors and gets access to information and opportunities someone else might not get - and that serves the reader. It was actually my idea that, if John deVore was amenable, Michael should attempt to compare all DeVore models side by side to give readers an idea what more money up the line buys. This wouldn't be something any reviewer anywhere could possibly do. Needless to say, Michael's RoadTour Format isn't a formal review environ by a long shot (nor shold it be) so this would be a very informal thing, of hearing various models in an unfamiliar environment and coming to certain conclusions with regards to value, bass, SPLs, room size and such.

Just as an aside.

Srajan Ebaen

• Industry Participant
« Reply #58 on: 15 Jun 2007, 04:12 pm »
Exactly. That's when I saw the light. "Hey, Mike's gonna be at the one place where they gotta have each and every model DeVore makes all lined up like organ pipes. Geez." That's when I suggested he do an informal "working your way up the line, here's what you get, here's what surprised me, here's the sweet spot, here diminishing returns kick in" and so on. How it'll come off we'll see but Mike's onboard with the concept and John said he'd make himself available to spend a day or two and let Mike hear various juxtapositions of his models in the NYC metro area - at dealers, perhaps certain key customers, his digs and the factory.

Unless it's on my desk, I won't know what it'll be but I love Michael's approach to things so I'm sure it'll come off great and will have some useful info in it for all of us -:)

carusoracer

« Reply #59 on: 15 Jun 2007, 05:07 pm »
Sorry I can not say that I have heard the Devore line as it was on my shortlist of speakers to hear. There is actually a dealer in the suburb I grew up in but I never did make it over for a appointment...

Good luck with the search and if these work out please share as it seems that many circle members are very supported of and in helping out on your journey :thumb: