Poll

What should the photography circle be called?

Light Club
3 (11.1%)
Image Circle
2 (7.4%)
Eye-Fidelity
15 (55.6%)
The Photo Pit
1 (3.7%)
Photo Circle
5 (18.5%)
The Imaginarium
1 (3.7%)
Circle Of Confusion
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 27

Voting closed: 11 Jun 2007, 12:55 am

POLL: Name for new photography circle

nathanm

Re: POLL: Name for new photography circle
« Reply #20 on: 12 Jun 2007, 02:45 am »
No no no, it's entwife!

Tagline thoughts?  None!  Wait, let me cook one up...

:scratch:

The place to discuss photography and share your artistic visions.

I can't come up with anything clever just now.  :dunno:

Levi

« Reply #21 on: 12 Jun 2007, 12:39 pm »
That should work Nathanm.  Thanks for being brave enough to be a moderator of "Eye Fidelity". 

Could this be the sports bar of Photography?  Yikes!

nathanm

« Reply #22 on: 12 Jun 2007, 01:39 pm »
I look forward to many pointless, heated debates about which digital camera is better than the other! :lol:  Even though it seems odd to put a photography discussion in an audio-specfic site there are advantages to this in that it makes for a more neutral environment.  Since you're here for audio first the photo thing can be taken more casually, perhaps.  Whereas one might feel intimidated posting where a bunch of professional photographers post, here it's just audio nerds so the pressure's off.

Personally I find there are enormous parallels between audio and imagery anyway.  A histogram and a frequency plot are the same damn thing.  Shadows are bass, midtones are midrange, and highlights are treble.  Contrast, dynamics.  Grain is...uh, grain.  (I never quite got "grain" in audio myself, though)  Photography is like recording music, the tape\hard drive is like the negative\sensor and making the print is like the mastering engineer.  The audiophile parallel in photography I guess would involve a board where people argue about which framing materials, overhead lighting and ideal viewing distance is the best! :lol:  Photographers are unlike musicians though in that there's no real celebrity attached to them.  Nobody turns their radio on and listens to the latest gossip about what so and so photographer is acting like a jackass in public.

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
« Reply #23 on: 12 Jun 2007, 01:50 pm »
There were (are?) some heated discussions on main stream media over Mapplethorpe exhibition when it was in town.  :o  Now, what kind of audio gear would he have used....  :roll:

nathanm

« Reply #24 on: 12 Jun 2007, 02:05 pm »
I remember picking up one of Mapplethorpe's books in a store some years ago.  They were such beautifully toned photos that I didn't really care that it was gay bondage stuff.  (kind of like Hi-Fi music, really...:lol:)The only thing anyone has a valid complaint about in the world of art in my opinion is public funding.  If that nonsense was done away with then it's easy to support or not support your own tastes.  He was a good photographer in my opinion, but the NEA definitely needs to be thrown in the crapper without a moment's hesitation.  Who the hell wants to look at government-funded art?  Art from The Man!?  That's like listening to rock and roll performed by your parents.

woodsyi

• Volunteer
« Reply #25 on: 12 Jun 2007, 02:55 pm »
You know who was running the NEA back then?  You got it -- Mrs. Dick(aka Lynne Chaney).8)  That's all the politics you will get from me.  :wink:

Levi

« Reply #26 on: 12 Jun 2007, 03:00 pm »
I can't wait to get this started.  Perhaps, it already started.  :lol:

I just purchased a new Nikon 12-24mm lense.

image courtesy of Ken
Rockwell.com

woodsyi

• Volunteer
« Reply #27 on: 12 Jun 2007, 03:19 pm »
12mm  :drool:  I use a Sigma 17-35mm and like it a lot.  12mm should get you some funky and cool pictures. I want to see some. 

BTW, any pictures on this site will be limited.  Should we get a private picture hosting site where you can get your 10+ MB photos uploaded?

SET Man

« Reply #28 on: 12 Jun 2007, 03:22 pm »
I can't wait to get this started.  Perhaps, it already started.  :lol:

Hey!

Nice. :D So that is like 18-36mm on your digicam. :cool:

Take care,
Buddy :thumb:

nathanm

« Reply #29 on: 12 Jun 2007, 03:24 pm »
o man thAt lens suxxx!  Canon r WAY bettr dood!!!!!!!! :P 

Let's see...I will try to post one of mine from Flickr....

Hey that works.  One thing I will suggest is that we try to keep images at reasonable screen sizes.  It's no fun browsing a thread when images take up the whole screen.  See, already the moderator is nagging you. :wink:

Levi

« Reply #30 on: 12 Jun 2007, 03:54 pm »
Thanks. 

Correct Set Man, 12-24 becomes 18-35mm in my camera because it does not have a full-frame CMOS.  I have a Nikon 17-35/2.8 and it is not wide enough for me.  I will post some pictures in a couple of days.

I will be carrying around a Nikon 12-24mm, 24-85mm and maybe a Macro lens for close-ups.  I also like my Nikon 80-200mm/2.8 but rather heavy. 

I only have Nikon lenses while Canon lenses does not use F-mount so I cannot use it.   I have accumulated many Nikon lenses so it is too late for me to switch to Canon.  I am stuck :duh:

Levi

« Reply #31 on: 12 Jun 2007, 03:56 pm »
I figured you only use Canon lenses?

o man thAt lens suxxx!  Canon r WAY bettr dood!!!!!!!! :P 

SET Man

« Reply #32 on: 12 Jun 2007, 04:05 pm »
I only have Nikon lenses while Canon lenses does not use F-mount so I cannot use it.   I have accumulated many Nikon lenses so it is too late for me to switch to Canon.  I am stuck :duh:

Hey!

If Nikon system still works well for you than there is no need to switch to other system. BTW.... nice lens line up Levi :cool:

Take care,
Buddy :thumb:

nathanm

« Reply #33 on: 12 Jun 2007, 04:09 pm »
Levi: No just a joke; I was just imitating Joe Average idiot message board guy! :lol:  I have owned only two cameras so far.  A Ricoh KR30-SP 35mm in high school and now my Shen-Hao 4x5.  The only digital stuff I've taken has been with borrowed cameras from friends or family, or from work.  I've got no real opinion of camera brands, but I've always liked Nikon since they had that badass 6mm fisheye.

brj

« Reply #34 on: 12 Jun 2007, 04:13 pm »
Quote from: Levi

Nice lens!  I'm actually a little surprised that with the light gathering ability implied by a 77mm front element, that the minimum f-stop is f/4, but they don't seem to make anything faster at that length, and with 11 elements in 6 groups, I guess I shouldn't be surprised.

I'd like to pick up a (Nikon) lens like that, although it won't be for a while.  Even then, I'd probably torn between that and a fisheye.

Quote from: nathanm
One thing I will suggest is that we try to keep images at reasonable screen sizes.  It's no fun browsing a thread when images take up the whole screen.  See, already the moderator is nagging you. :wink:

Yes, but how big is your screen size? :)

nathanm

« Reply #35 on: 12 Jun 2007, 04:20 pm »
Either 1680x1050 or 1600x1200.  I would hope that most folk are running 1280 x 1024 at least.  I dunno how anybody gets anything done at those sizes, though.  I wish I could buy the world a Cinema Display, one of the only LCDs which doesn't suck.

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #36 on: 12 Jun 2007, 05:26 pm »
Yes, but how big is your screen size? :)
15" at work
19" at home
 :lol: :wink:

Levi

« Reply #37 on: 12 Jun 2007, 05:34 pm »
Actually, I agree that the Canon version is better.  :)

Levi: No just a joke; I was just imitating Joe Average idiot message board guy! :lol:  I have owned only two cameras so far.  A Ricoh KR30-SP 35mm in high school and now my Shen-Hao 4x5.  The only digital stuff I've taken has been with borrowed cameras from friends or family, or from work.  I've got no real opinion of camera brands, but I've always liked Nikon since they had that badass 6mm fisheye.

Levi

« Reply #38 on: 12 Jun 2007, 05:47 pm »
Thanks guys. 

I agree.  What is up with the f/4 which go for almost $1K?  Definitely the Nikon 12-24 is going to be an interesting lens for me.

Another alternative to Nikon F-mount is the Tokina 12-24 for almost half the price.  Excellent price if you don't mind going with 3rd party optics.

How about the Sigma which goes down to 10mm.  Nah!

My .02

Nice lens!  I'm actually a little surprised that with the light gathering ability implied by a 77mm front element, that the minimum f-stop is f/4, but they don't seem to make anything faster at that length, and with 11 elements in 6 groups, I guess I shouldn't be surprised.

I'd like to pick up a (Nikon) lens like that, although it won't be for a while.  Even then, I'd probably torn between that and a fisheye.

Levi

« Reply #39 on: 12 Jun 2007, 05:54 pm »
File size 1024 x 680 on top of the Eiffel tower

File size: 502118 bytes
File date: 2007:04:18 21:58:07
Camera make: NIKON CORPORATION
Camera model: NIKON D2Xs
Date/Time: 2007:04:08 16:19:57
Resolution: 1024 x 680
Flash used: No
Focal length: 17.0mm (35mm equivalent: 25mm)
Exposure time: 1.600 s
Aperture: f/2.8
ISO equiv.: 100
Whitebalance: Auto
Metering Mode: spot

« Last Edit: 12 Jun 2007, 06:06 pm by Levi »