CIAudio

PLC•1/D•200/XDC•2 Review!
« on: 1 Jun 2007, 05:23 am »
New review of PLC•1/D•200/XDC•2 at Dagogo.com

http://www.dagogo.com/ChannelIslands-PLC1-D200.htm

Nick V

Re: PLC•1/D•200/XDC•2 Review!
« Reply #1 on: 3 Jun 2007, 10:59 pm »
Do you have any experience with the Eastern Electric BBA which is referenced in the review? What do you think of it in terms of it's reported purpose of electrical matching of components?

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #2 on: 4 Jun 2007, 02:03 am »
Nice review Dusty.

I asked Dusty about the need for buffers yesterday.

Here's one more to my (cheap/non tube) liking:

http://www.bursonaudio.com/Burson_Audio_Buffer.htm

CIAudio

« Reply #3 on: 5 Jun 2007, 05:01 am »
Do you have any experience with the Eastern Electric BBA which is referenced in the review? What do you think of it in terms of it's reported purpose of electrical matching of components?

I haven't heard the BBA...
Buffers are used in systems for a couple of reasons. The primary one being a mismatch in components, where the source cannot sufficiently drive the load of the destination component. Ideally, a buffer should should have a high input impedance, low output impedance, and add no coloration to the sound.
In todays world, many buffers are meant to add something. Tube buffers have become popular because you can inexpensively add some tube character to the sound.
In a system like the one in the review, he's basically telling you he doesn't like the sound of his source component by itself as much as with the BBA. Being that D-200's have 100k input impedance, most any source can drive them through a 10k passive, so I suspect the tube flavor/harmonic distortion of the BBA are what he liked.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #4 on: 6 Jun 2007, 11:13 am »
Isn't it interesting that the more neutral, invisible, accurate, etc. audio systems are; the more the tendency is to nit pick about the sound isn't "romantic" enough?  I suppose that audiophiles are a bit like chefs, never content to just follow a recipe, but striving to add their own touch.  Ah, the world would be boring if we all had the same "perfect" audio system.

I've read a couple of reviews stating that passive pre-amps are very sensitive to input impedance, so I'm still wondering if there is an ideal input impedance.  Specifically I'm wondering about my VPC-3/VMB-1 combination. 

Currently I'm in a holding pattern, just using an Oppo 970, and the sound is a bit thin (some lack of deep bass with a mid-treble emphasis) so was wondering what the next step should be (VDA-2, DEQ, buffer, or a whole different source).  Cost and simplicity are important factors in the decision.

Grover

« Reply #5 on: 6 Jun 2007, 10:45 pm »
Currently I'm in a holding pattern, just using an Oppo 970, and the sound is a bit thin (some lack of deep bass with a mid-treble emphasis) so was wondering what the next step should be (VDA-2, DEQ, buffer, or a whole different source).  Cost and simplicity are important factors in the decision.

The VDA-2 has a really wonderful sounding presentation.  Dynamic and very balanced across the frequencies.  It doesn't call attention to itself in any way, which is actually a very good thing if you think about it.  Bass response got better when I added the optional power supply.  I don't know your budget but I'd definitely recommend getting both these components over time as you can afford them.  It's what I did and am ecstatic just listening to music and not thinking/worrying about components.

Charles Calkins

« Reply #6 on: 6 Jun 2007, 11:24 pm »
Don't know diddly about tube buffers but I do know that hooking my D-200's up to an AVA T7ECR hybrid tube preamp Makes a great musical combination.

Cheers
                                               Charlie

benzx

« Reply #7 on: 8 Jun 2007, 09:08 am »

The VDA-2 has a really wonderful sounding presentation.  Dynamic and very balanced across the frequencies.  It doesn't call attention to itself in any way, which is actually a very good thing if you think about it.  Bass response got better when I added the optional power supply.  I don't know your budget but I'd definitely recommend getting both these components over time as you can afford them.  It's what I did and am ecstatic just listening to music and not thinking/worrying about components.

The VDA-2 + VAC1 is indeed wonderful sounding and I'm enjoying every minute of it ever since I received my unit 2 weeks back..  I'm not without worry though.
The only worry is that the rest of my components (Marantz DVD player, Audionote M-zero, DIY Hypex UCD180AD amp, JMlab Cobalt 816s) may restrict the VDA2 from giving out its full potential.  :D

stryker

« Reply #8 on: 8 Jun 2007, 06:55 pm »
The only thing "holding back" the VDA-2 are better speakers but my 816S' are pretty nice.

gooberdude

« Reply #9 on: 8 Jun 2007, 08:26 pm »

The VDA-2 + VAC1 is indeed wonderful sounding and I'm enjoying every minute of it ever since I received my unit 2 weeks back..  I'm not without worry though.
The only worry is that the rest of my components (Marantz DVD player, Audionote M-zero, DIY Hypex UCD180AD amp, JMlab Cobalt 816s) may restrict the VDA2 from giving out its full potential.  :D

Channel Islands gear made me realize just how true your statement is, about 2 years ago.  I thought i was happy with what i had, but the more i pimped out my phono stage, the more evident it was there were bottlenecks elsewhere.

Psychicanimal

« Reply #10 on: 10 Jun 2007, 06:59 pm »

In a system like the one in the review, he's basically telling you he doesn't like the sound of his source component by itself as much as with the BBA. Being that D-200's have 100k input impedance, most any source can drive them through a 10k passive, so I suspect the tube flavor/harmonic distortion of the BBA are what he liked.

Maybe Mr. Reviewewrr should be introduced to my CI passive/Modwright modded Marchand X-9 electronic x-over combo w/ Ridge Street Audio cabling throughout...

Nah, that's for hardcore hobbysts. :duh: