GK-1 stage 3 question

fred

GK-1 stage 3 question
« Reply #20 on: 13 May 2003, 08:19 pm »
I believe it's better in future to say nothing of future products, and just suddenly spring them onto the market. That way we don't get stupidly embarassed over deadlines, and you guys don't suffer intense disappointment when things don't happen

:nono: Stupidly Embarassed!? About being open and generating advance excitement, yet imperfect in forecasting project completion?!  

I'd be surprised if your delays have cost you any sales, and I can assure you that had I not known the GK-1 option 3 was coming, I'd have bought something else by now.  As it is, I'm eagerly awaiting availability, and I don't hold it against you.  It is nice to get the occasional update, to keep us informed.  You have no legitimate reason to be embarassed -every company has product delays.  (for example, Perpetual Technologies is over 2 years late with a feature they announced a looong time ago for their P-1A digital processor).

Remember that your past tactics have built a loyal base of customers (and friends).  I haven't noticed any angry rebukes on this forum, so let this be a guide - don't change.

Grumpy_Git

GK-1 stage 3 question
« Reply #21 on: 13 May 2003, 09:24 pm »
Hugh im sorry to have to disagree with you  :nono:  but ive gotta go with fred on this one without advance knowledge of the pre amp id never have started saving pennies and would prob be mighty pissed off if i had a stage 2 and then along came the 3!!!!

anyway, just to let you know,id rather have tantalising info and have to wait on delays than not know at all...  :wink:

Nick.

U4EA

GK-1 stage 3 question
« Reply #22 on: 15 May 2003, 11:30 pm »
Hugh,

I do not think you have lost sales.  I also think the people here enjoy making suggestions and helping to improve the product.

Additionally, if I needed a such and such,and I knew you had one in the works.  I would most likely hold the cash until I could hear it.

Lastly, I could care less if something is 5 months overdue.  As long as I know you got it right.

AKSA

GK-1 stage 3 question
« Reply #23 on: 17 May 2003, 03:46 am »
Folks,

I'd like to thank you all most sincerely for your patience, goodwill and strong support of Aspen.  It means a huge amount to Ben and me, and is a great comfort for the long periods put in doing the R&D, which is very enjoyable, but solitary, at times frustrating, and expensive work.   :thankyou:

This weekend (it's 1:35pm Saturday 17th here right now) Ben is checking my pcb work on the keypad - the final number, and quite fiddly - and once he has cleared it (I've checked it already) I will submit the three boards for manufacture on Monday as the prototyping has all passed with flying colors.  You can drive this baby flawlessly with the remote control from more than 20 yards!   :hyper:

After the first ten or twenty sales of the GK-1R - we'll see when we get there - I will withdraw this ultimate version of the kitset from sale and produce it in-house as a finished, retail item.  Naturally the Entry Level and Manual version of the GK-1 will continue as kitsets.

There are two reasons for this, based on complexity and cost.  The whole cycle of digital programming, tight soldering requirements and precision fitting is pushing the limits of home assembly - you need to be experienced to build the GK-1R as I have mentioned already.  I expect that the time taken in after sales support is likely to be an order of magnitude higher than with the other Aspen kits.   :oops:  Since I'm already buckling under the strain, it's a good strategy to offer it fully assembled and ready to plug in (subject to UL/CE clearance, of course), particularly as then I can command a price commensurate with its performance.  This latter point is important, as I have come to the conclusion that the market is sufficiently overpriced that I can charge a more than competitive figure and still greatly improve my bottom line;  overheads are my constant concern, and one day I hope to pull a salary from all this.

I hope I don't disappoint here;  once again I'm wearing my heart on my sleeve but it's only fair to explain my intentions well in advance.

Cheers,

Hugh

Carlman

Profit for hifi? egad!
« Reply #24 on: 17 May 2003, 05:02 pm »
That's great news!  You're almost done with the GK-1R and you've got a product that's clearly got potential in the open market.  
I think it's fantastic that you have set goals to make an income from something you enjoy and do well.  

For people like me, in the pursuit of good hifi, the most important things are that the product delivers and the relationship with the seller.  I was willing to pay more for my amp to have it assembled, I'm sure I'll be doing the same with the GK-1. (when I convince myself that I 'need' it -and have the funds ;) )

I definitely like knowing that there's a real person behind the design.  That goes a long way with me.  I would think making a presence at the MAF or similar audio shows would create more work than you can handle.... (I'm only offering advice because I thoroughly enjoy the product and want it to succeed)

Best wishes and good luck with your goals.  Your position is very enviable.

-Carl

fred

GK-1 stage 3 question
« Reply #25 on: 17 May 2003, 11:35 pm »
The whole cycle of digital programming, tight soldering requirements and precision fitting is pushing the limits of home assembly - you need to be experienced to build the GK-1R as I have mentioned already.

Hmmm.  I'm certainly no expert at this, so I need to think about whether or not to tackle it (assuming I have a chance to be among the 20).  Can you give a hint as to how much an assembled unit will cost?

fred

GK-1 stage 3 question
« Reply #26 on: 17 May 2003, 11:36 pm »
The whole cycle of digital programming, tight soldering requirements and precision fitting is pushing the limits of home assembly - you need to be experienced to build the GK-1R as I have mentioned already.

Hmmm.  I'm certainly no expert at this, so I need to think about whether or not to tackle it (assuming I have a chance to be among the 20).  Can you give a hint as to how much an assembled unit will cost?

AKSA

GK-1 stage 3 question
« Reply #27 on: 17 May 2003, 11:41 pm »
Hi Fred,

From my assessment of your amp work, I'd say you'd be able to do it without too much difficulty;  don't be discouraged.  Much, of course, will depend on the instructions which I'm working on right now.

Price is difficult at present, but probably two to three times the cost of the kitset.

Cheers,

Hugh

EchiDna

GK-1 stage 3 question
« Reply #28 on: 18 May 2003, 01:31 am »
Quote from: AKSA
Hi Fred,

From my assessment of your amp work, I'd say you'd be able to do it without too much difficulty;  don't be discouraged.  Much, of course, will depend on the instructions which I'm working on right now.

Price is difficult at present, but probably two to three times the cost of the kitset.

Cheers,

Hugh

Hi Hugh et al, if you are 'only' producing 20 kits, is it worth the great effort in writing your exceptional instructions? i understand you are well into them, but is it worth the effort? you could make a faq or something that only kitbuilders can access to save $$ and time. This is not a discouragment, just food for thought.

AKSA

GK-1 stage 3 question
« Reply #29 on: 18 May 2003, 04:08 am »
Glen,

This has occurred to me, believe me, I'm a little fatigued with all these instructions!  For the three boards and their interconnection will take me many hours, but to be honest it's probably important to document every step of the way so that I can easily transfer the knowledge to my workers when I have them build it down the track.

Cheers,

Hugh