where to buy sc947-02

tanchiro58

Re: where to buy sc947-02
« Reply #120 on: 7 Sep 2007, 05:05 am »
Usually in the wrong direction. Yes, your ears will tell you what is going on, but not why. Why, in this case, means test equipment.

Few, if any, manufacturers, have those capabilities. Which is why so much sounds better when someone with capisce "fixes" their stuff. The stories that I could tell about rotten SPDIF interfaces......and on some pretty expensive gear.........

Pat,

You might be right with your point when just seat there and test components with your test equipments which you called "precisely." Why don't you just spend some times to the audio shows and listen some "expensive" and "decent look" system and you know how "awkward" they sound. Or you might need some experiences of a "sound engineer."

There are some "audio component modification's engineers" told me that most of expensive or inexpensive components do not sound "right." Therefore, they need to fix or modify them to make them sound right.

Friend of mine they are "audio and sound engineers" and they have owned very expensive and precise sounding system (actually I think you could not afford to buy them). They still find another way to build their own system to satisfy their own ears and tastes.

jhm731

Re: You are right.......
« Reply #121 on: 7 Sep 2007, 04:56 pm »
I must be in the Stone Age. My company makes CD players that cost 10X what that gizmo is. I hope that you noticed how many times that I tried to sell someone here one. (And you can save the effort of checking our website.......it is not listed there.)

No, instead I offer free advice, on SPDIF, which is RF. I know of few here who have the measurement equipment needed to really do justice to this device. I can not tell you how to shove what part, and how, unless I get my hands on one. If you want to continue to operate in the dark, well go ahead. You have my blessing.

I get nothing out of helping the interested readers here, and judging by the number of viewers to the data stored on some remote site, I think there are quite a few.

All it takes is for a few wise-guys to ruin it for the rest. The vocal minority that seems so upset that I pulled the rug out from underneath their Holy Grail transformer can rest comfortably that I have done all I intend to do here.

Pat

Pat-

If you're really interested in the effects of installing different pulse transformers in the Squeezebox(SB3),
and want to share this information with us, I'll be happy to send you the following for testing:

- Stock SB3

Pulse Transformers:
- Shielded SC947-02
- Unshielded SC979-03
- Unshielded Lundahl LL1572

You provide the Newava.

After the testing is competed, I want the SB3 back in working order with the "best" pulse transformer installed.

If you destroy the SB3 during testing you paid me dealer's cost for the unit.

If you want to keep the SB3, you can purchase it from me at dealer cost.

No charge for the pulse transformers.

If you're interested in this offer, please send me a PM.

Pars

« Reply #122 on: 7 Sep 2007, 06:30 pm »
The specific device is irrelevant to what Pat has posted.  All of his posts have dealt with SPDIF "issues".  Those would be true for ANY source (traditional cd OR squeezebox).  At NO point do I see that Pat has presented himself as an expert on the SB.

I am shocked to see people trying to run off people that can actually help us.  Instead of building "magic" mods Pat is actually explaining why you might do these things and how to pick the right part.  Even though you accuse him of asking for a SB to play with, what he actually said was that he couldn't give you specific aspects to tweak without seeing one.  He offered to actually measure what changing the tx did.

Pat has ALREADY offered quite a bit of free advice in this thread.
x2... appalling behavior

And I'd like to thank Pat for taking the time to explain this and demonstrate the correct way to do these things. Some of us appreciate it.
« Last Edit: 7 Sep 2007, 11:57 pm by Pars »

jhm731

« Reply #123 on: 10 Sep 2007, 08:37 pm »
Pat has accepted my offer.

SB3 and pulse transformers were sent today.

Results will be posted in a new thread.

rotcoddam

« Reply #124 on: 11 Sep 2007, 04:56 am »
Thanks jhm731 and Pat.
We'll be waiting for more info Pat. I for one look forward to what you have to bring to the forum. Still not sure why some get their panties in such a wad over a stupid $20 pulse transformer.

Occam

« Reply #125 on: 11 Sep 2007, 01:06 pm »
Rotcoddam,

Because this is the Lab Circle?  :scratch:
Its what we (hopefully) do here.
Is the desire to correlate the objective measurements with subjective performance any sillyer than giving more than a passing thought as to the performance of a steroid besotted slugger?

I for one, actually try and learn something from the investigations of engineers with specific expertise. Its a welcome contrast to the typical 'throwing crap up against the wall to see what sticks' that we often do hereabouts. And if they have instrumentation that offers more insight, beyond that which I can glean from my minimal repertoire of tools, so much the better.

FWIW

PS - as they say in academia, the discussions are so heated because when all is said and done, so little is really at stake.

Edit - rotcoddam - you misunderstand me re: your comment below. My comments were no more directed at Pat anymore so than they were directed at myself (which means they were, but slightly). Inevitably there is a  tendency for threads to wander tangentially off course, and hopefully after the requisite 'strum and drang' meander back to useful information, as has this thread.
« Last Edit: 13 Sep 2007, 09:24 pm by Occam »

rotcoddam

« Reply #126 on: 11 Sep 2007, 11:39 pm »
Occam,
   I'm just wondering why some here want to come down so hard on Pat when "so little is really at stake".
He's offering his time and a little of his effort for us to learn. Am I missing something?

drmike

« Reply #127 on: 12 Sep 2007, 12:40 am »
i'm glad i started this post!
thanks for all the input.
drmike