Inexpensive DAC help!

jholtz

Inexpensive DAC help!
« on: 30 May 2007, 12:32 pm »
I have searched the Internet and read the various audio websites until I'm about blind for an inexpensive DAC. It seems that the Zhaolu 2.5 would fit my needs and allow an upgrade path for some easy and affordable mods. However, I can find no consensus on whether the AD1852 or the CS4398 is the way to go. Which has the best sound quality?

A friend brought his Cary 303/200 to my house recently and it just whomped my Red Wine Audio Squeezebox analog outs. I'm looking for an inexpensive DAC that will give me the exceptional bass, ultra smooth midrange and sparkling highs the Cary produced in my system. No, I can't afford a Cary.  :cry:

Thanks for the feedback!

Jim

robert1325

Re: Inexpensive DAC help!
« Reply #1 on: 30 May 2007, 01:04 pm »
You might want to check out the new promitheus dac...   there's to people on the forum who ordered it and they'll get them this week.

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=41093.msg368436#msg368436

jholtz

« Reply #2 on: 30 May 2007, 01:16 pm »
Thanks for the quick feedback. I prefer over sampling DAC's. I've listened to both and over sampling sounds better to me in my system.

Thanks!

Jim

Dougl

« Reply #3 on: 31 May 2007, 04:05 am »
Jim,

Have you looked at RAKK Dac?

People are upgrading from RAKK DAC to RAKK DAC 2, and the original is very musical and a great value.
Kevin may also have a few left that he might make you a deal on.

I bought one and love it.

Doug

saisunil

« Reply #4 on: 31 May 2007, 04:09 am »
Lite Dac seems to be very promising with a good upgrade possibility

navi

« Reply #5 on: 31 May 2007, 05:40 am »
A friend brought his Cary 303/200 to my house recently and it just whomped my Red Wine Audio Squeezebox analog outs. I'm looking for an inexpensive DAC that will give me the exceptional bass, ultra smooth midrange and sparkling highs the Cary produced in my system. No, I can't afford a Cary.  :cry:

What your Budget?

Ivan

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #6 on: 31 May 2007, 05:49 am »
I'm looking for an inexpensive DAC that will give me the exceptional bass, ultra smooth midrange and sparkling highs the Cary produced in my system.

The Altmann Attraction DAC......knock wood......(it ain't pretty...but it sure sounds good) :dance:

F-100

« Reply #7 on: 31 May 2007, 06:04 am »
It ain't cheap either... EUR 750.  :(

lonewolfny42

« Reply #8 on: 31 May 2007, 06:12 am »
It ain't cheap either... EUR 750.  :(
I've heard some of the "cheap DAC's" (even with mods)....save a little more $$$....and get a quality one.....your better off in the long run... :wink:

F-100

« Reply #9 on: 31 May 2007, 06:19 am »
How would you rate this Altmann DAC against the Paradisea?

lonewolfny42

« Reply #10 on: 31 May 2007, 06:24 am »
How would you rate this Altmann DAC against the Paradisea?

Much better...no contest. And I've heard a "modded Paradisea"....and I own a stock one which you know.... :thumb:
Check Gordy's review....Altmann thread....concerning the Rave at Occam's/Paul's...City Pulse, Zalou (sp.), Paradisea...all there.

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=36765.msg369841#msg369841

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #11 on: 31 May 2007, 10:12 am »
Don't know your budget, but the Channel Islands Audio VDA-2 is reportedly a very solid piece for $600 USD (all CIA retail pricing includes free shipping).  It is said that the first version released beat the Benchmark (Dusty has since tweaked it and offers the upgrade free of charge).  Plus it can be improved by buying the matching $150 USD power supply.  Beyond that there are cable upgrade possibilities too.  He is ready to compare it to anything out there.  Could easily end up costing $1000 USD, but you can do it in steps.  And no tubes, batteries, mods, DIY, extra shipping, etc. to mess with.  Dusty's builds quality is very good with a very common sense approach to audio.  Reminds me of the some of the cottage industry guys who has been able to build it up into a "real" business.

jholtz

« Reply #12 on: 31 May 2007, 02:25 pm »
Guys,

Thanks for all the great suggestions. I've considered my present budget limitations and my technical skills, both of which point to the Zhaulu as my best choice for now. I've found a retailer that is sending me a Zhaolu 2.5 with both the CS4398 and the AD1852 DAC boards for evaluation. It's hard to go wrong when I can compare both varieties and have a no obligation guarantee.

BTW, it's audiomagus in Washington state ( http://audiomagus.com/index.php?&vmcchk=1 ) that is the retailer. I can only say nice things and highly recommend them at this point. Mike's going above and beyond to work with me. I really appreciate it.

Thanks again to everyone for the feedback!

Best regards,

Jim

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #13 on: 17 Jul 2007, 07:46 pm »
Save your money and buy the Altman. It just embarrassas all DAC's under $1000

rollo

tanchiro58

« Reply #14 on: 17 Jul 2007, 09:04 pm »
Paradisea lovers,

I have listened to a modded Paradisea of F100 and DIY Audio Consulting Silver digital cable. This combination was the best sounding in my system which I have never listened before. The music was so revealing and involving.

jholtz,

I addition to an inexpensive DAC I would add the Promitheus DAC. I own one and it has fully broken in. It is in the process of modifying to bring up to the next level. A solid state DAC sounds like a tube DAC with extra decays of notes and punchy and liquid midrange and high. :thumb:

pugs

« Reply #15 on: 17 Jul 2007, 10:37 pm »
I used to have the Cary also.  I agree that it destroyed my modded squeezebox.  I wish I didn't sell it.  I have a modded Ack! DAC and it's different than the analog outs of the squeezebox.  It's more mellow with better midrange, but less dynamic than the squeezebox.

I have searched the Internet and read the various audio websites until I'm about blind for an inexpensive DAC. It seems that the Zhaolu 2.5 would fit my needs and allow an upgrade path for some easy and affordable mods. However, I can find no consensus on whether the AD1852 or the CS4398 is the way to go. Which has the best sound quality?

Thanks for the feedback!

Jim

Regalma

« Reply #16 on: 17 Jul 2007, 11:15 pm »
You want inexpensive? Try a Behringer SRC2496. It's $130 with free shipping and is a surprisingly good DAC and ADC as well. It will do both at the same time. And this is not just my opinion. At that price what have you got to lose. It works well with my SqueezeBox. www.musciansfriend.com

SET Man

« Reply #17 on: 18 Jul 2007, 12:12 am »
Hey!

If you can swing a soldering iron than it doesn't get any cheaper and simpler than this!  aa

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=32778.0

You could even make it to look like the Altmann by mount it on a piece of wooden board, and this make it even cheaper than making a case for it!  :lol:

Well, just get 12V SLA batt, 10,000uf+ cap(s) and charger, hook it up and enjoy it!

Yes, I still have this DAC in my main system and very happy with it.... well maybe until I cold afford the Audio Note Kit DAC 2  :drool:  Than again, who's know I might like this cheap DAC better  :wink:

Take care,
Buddy :thumb:

audio-heaven

« Reply #18 on: 18 Jul 2007, 04:28 pm »
Jim,

Have you looked at RAKK Dac?

People are upgrading from RAKK DAC to RAKK DAC 2, and the original is very musical and a great value.
Kevin may also have a few left that he might make you a deal on.

I bought one and love it.

Doug
I have been struggling with the same quandary, after much searching around I have gone for a RAKK DAC Mk II.
If you are able to do a bit of DIY this DAC is an easy build if you have a bit of experience, It also has an upgrade path, to start with you can go with the cheaper option of a Passive output stage, then later on if you feel like it there is a new active tube output stage which is said to take the performance up another notch aa that is what I am intending to do.

http://www.kandkaudio.com/digitalaudio.html
Lots of helpful info here     http://www.audioasylum.com/forums/KandK/bbs.html

Good luck on your search