Music servers, your thoughts?

MaxCast

Re: Music servers, your thoughts?
« Reply #20 on: 13 Jun 2007, 09:24 am »
Love the idea, but I'll have to wait until competition catches up because 12,000 is like 12,000,000 to me  :?

TONEPUB

« Reply #21 on: 13 Jun 2007, 02:56 pm »
Well, you can still have a ton of fun with a squeezebox or a used tablet PC...

tex-amp

« Reply #22 on: 13 Jun 2007, 07:24 pm »
I saw the sooloos at CES and it a very sweet server.  If I had the money I'd grab one.

The future is music servers.  The CE industry isn't interested cause they won't be able to sell mega buck disc players and DACs. The computer industry will be the ones bringing the change.  I suspect it will take 10-20 years before they take over the market unless maybe Apple does one in the next few years.

What is your processor for HT but a form of a computer? Why is that computer so expensive compared to other computers?

cytocycle

« Reply #23 on: 13 Jun 2007, 07:28 pm »
Apple TV is trying to do this already...

tex-amp

« Reply #24 on: 13 Jun 2007, 07:36 pm »
The search functions of the sooloos was another thing I remember.  Like the song? wonder who the producer was? It can tell you who the producer was and tell you what else on the server has the same producer. You can do the same for say the drummer. 

cloudbaseracer

« Reply #25 on: 7 Feb 2008, 09:17 pm »
It has been a while since this thread was active but I do wonder about the actual comparative sound qualities of the Sooloos compared to the SB3 or a Transport.  Anyone have any helpful information on this - excluding any references to cost?  I had a chance to play with the Sooloos today and it was VERY fun and had VERY fast integration/response.  Just not sure of the sound quality compared to the other choices.

Thanks,

James

kbuzz3

« Reply #26 on: 8 Feb 2008, 01:37 am »
It has been a while since this thread was active but I do wonder about the actual comparative sound qualities of the Sooloos compared to the SB3 or a Transport.  Anyone have any helpful information on this - excluding any references to cost?  I had a chance to play with the Sooloos today and it was VERY fun and had VERY fast integration/response.  Just not sure of the sound quality compared to the other choices.

Thanks,

James

ive been contemplating the very same thing. Ergonmically the sonos looks like it has the edge but sound..that is another thing

iGrant

« Reply #27 on: 8 Feb 2008, 04:34 am »
My win98 'music' computer with a Lexicon Core V2 and/or E-mu APS card thru my GF B-283 Tube Processor. Playlists or any audio editing software. Total cost about $400 and sounds great. Ripped Wav or MP3 files (grabbed from Usenet). Being using it since around '98. All songs files in folders and easily accessible or searchable. Back-ups to DVD. With the amount of storage available don't understand the need for any file format besides wav or aif. MP3 was fun for getting songs I used to own on vinyl, but now back into vinyl big time, it's too much fun :)

JimJ

• Ut Prosim
« Reply #28 on: 8 Feb 2008, 09:53 pm »
With the amount of storage available don't understand the need for any file format besides wav or aif.

My ears can't tell the difference between a properly-ripped FLAC file and the .WAV it came from. MP3 on the other hand...definitely.

TONEPUB

« Reply #29 on: 16 Feb 2008, 05:36 pm »
Actually, the weak spot of the sooloos is the DAC.  It's probably not a ton better than a squeezebox, but I use a Wadia 521 with mine, so it's no big.

Just met with the sooloos guys the other day and they have a new bare bones model that you can configure yourself that will be around 3000 bucks and still feature their zooty interface.  We'll have a report as soon as we can get our hands on one....

The Computer Audiophile

• Computer Audiophile
« Reply #30 on: 17 Feb 2008, 02:49 am »
Actually, the weak spot of the sooloos is the DAC.  It's probably not a ton better than a squeezebox, but I use a Wadia 521 with mine, so it's no big.

Just met with the sooloos guys the other day and they have a new bare bones model that you can configure yourself that will be around 3000 bucks and still feature their zooty interface.  We'll have a report as soon as we can get our hands on one....

The new Sooloos ... Add To Cart!

I can't wait to see this one.

chuckworkb

« Reply #31 on: 18 May 2008, 07:16 pm »
Jeff,
You said - "Actually, the weak spot of the sooloos is the DAC.  It's probably not a ton better than a squeezebox, but I use a Wadia 521 with mine, so it's no big."

If you spent 12K on the Sooloos, wouldn't you expect that you wouldn't need to use the Wadia 521?
It seems you should have gotten a better DAC in the unit for that kind  of money.

just my thought.

Chuck

cryoparts

« Reply #32 on: 18 May 2008, 07:29 pm »
Sweet!  I can't wait to see that product. 

At CES, we (Sonicweld and my companies) used the Sooloos system as the music server.  I was VERY impressed with the user interface--it was addicting.  I had a jolly good time messing about with it, and so did everyone who visited the room.

We never tried the analog outs of the Sooloos, so I can't comment on the sound, however, through the coaxial digital out, it sounded pretty amazing.

Peace,

Lee

TONEPUB

« Reply #33 on: 18 May 2008, 10:07 pm »
Jeff,
You said - "Actually, the weak spot of the sooloos is the DAC.  It's probably not a ton better than a squeezebox, but I use a Wadia 521 with mine, so it's no big."

If you spent 12K on the Sooloos, wouldn't you expect that you wouldn't need to use the Wadia 521?
It seems you should have gotten a better DAC in the unit for that kind  of money.

just my thought.

Chuck

Actually, not for me.

After having a Squeezebox, Transporter, iTunes with cover flow, and having spent time with the Linn server (review upcoming) and playing with quite a few music servers at the various shows, for me it's all about the interface.

I still own a McIntosh MS300 and yes it sounds better than my Sooloos from the analog outs.  But it's WAY more difficult to use.  Same with the Transporter/Squeezebox.  Forget it it you have a big collection.  (I am closing in on about 8000 CDs on my Sooloos)

Great sound with a crappy interface doesn't mean anything to me.  A music server is supposed to be EASY TO USE not just for me, but for friends and family that AREN'T audiophiles.

And with that criteria in mind, the Sooloos has no peer at this point.

Being that I already owned a 521, it was pretty much a no brainer.

I am pretty sure that the next generation of Sooloos is going to have a better DAC and will be less expensive.  I know I paid a bit of a premium getting the first generation, but I still love this thing!  And don't regret the purchase one bit.  When we had a transporter, no one but me used it.  With the Sooloos, everyone plays with it and that's what I was after....