Side wall/ceiling reflections

mca

« on: 11 Aug 2003, 05:37 am »
I ordered and installed a roompack in my theater room and it's sounding very good  :D  I also ordered three additional seams to treat side wall reflections and the ceiling reflection for my center channel.
Maybe I'm just used to seeing other manufacturers use oversized panels for this, but it seems like a 7" wide seam is to small of an area to effectively treat these reflections.
I also noticed that I now need to increase the volume more while watching movies to get the same levels as I did before the room treatment, is this common in a treated room  :?:

WilliamL

« Reply #1 on: 14 Aug 2003, 02:42 am »
:?:
Did you put the reflective side out into the room? Its very common that  you GAIN some sound pressure levels with our treatments and not the other way around.

Cheers,
Bill

mca

« Reply #2 on: 14 Aug 2003, 03:23 am »
Yup, shiny side out. I did not even think about it, but while I was doing the sound treatment, I also replaced my Denon DVD1600 with the new 2900. I am guessing it has a lower output level, and that was the difference. Can you give me your theory on using the seams vs larger panels for the side and ceiling reflections? You also mentioned awhile back about coming out with a product to help with lower bass frequencies, is it getting close to coming out?

JoshK

« Reply #3 on: 14 Aug 2003, 01:50 pm »
How do you like the 2900, not to take over this thread?

mca

DVD2900
« Reply #4 on: 14 Aug 2003, 07:00 pm »
I have been impressed with it so far. I see no difference in the picture quality on my 65" Mitsubishi Diamond. The layer change is flawless and makes a movie that much more enjoyable when you don't have to watch it hang on the change. DVD-A and SACD sounds great, I use an Anthem AVM20 that I set to analogue-DSP mode, so it takes care of all the bass management, speaker distance settings and so forth. Only problem is, all the new multi channel disks are getting expensive  :D