Most Thought Provoking Film / Movie You Have Seen?

cryoparts

Re: Most Thought Provoking Film / Movie You Have Seen?
« Reply #140 on: 21 Feb 2009, 06:31 am »
Ok .. after seeing those stills, i simply had to put this in my netflix queue and bump it to the top of my list there!

X2!  Read the plot synopsis on imdb.com, sounds great!

Thanks for the recommendation.   :thumb:

Peace,

Lee

Jon L

« Reply #141 on: 26 Feb 2009, 02:35 am »
Ok .. after seeing those stills, i simply had to put this in my netflix queue and bump it to the top of my list there!

X2!  Read the plot synopsis on imdb.com, sounds great!

Thanks for the recommendation.   :thumb:

Peace,

Lee

There is a Blueray version of "The Fall" available, and if you have 1080p setup, definitely give the Blueray a try.  Even in DVD, this is like the visual version of the best SET sound  :D

topround

« Reply #142 on: 26 Feb 2009, 02:39 am »
Saw the Fall a few months back
Amazing movie
I can't believe they made this movie
If you like architecture you will love it.!
Every shot was composed, and thought about, and you can tell.
Visually ..Mesmerizing

Mike

Browntrout

« Reply #143 on: 23 Mar 2009, 09:28 am »
                                                           ''Come and See''
                                                             ''Idi I Smotri''

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
  • James Romeyn Music and Audio, LLC
« Reply #144 on: 7 Apr 2009, 12:13 am »
In recent memory I would say, 'INTO THE WILD'. Saw it months ago and I am still thinking about it. Great soundtrack to (especially for Eddie Vedder fans).

We listened to the book read by the author on our last trip to CA; could not be more highly recommended. 

Browntrout

« Reply #145 on: 10 Apr 2009, 10:56 pm »
Actually if I could change my choice for most thought provoking film to 'The Passion Of Christ'. I saw this at the cinema and it was far more realistic than the dvd version I bought. Spent half the film (it's not really a film is it?) fighting a rather persistant and stubborn lump in my throat. I guess the most provoking films are always going to be about things that actually happened as fiction always seems somewhat contrived in a way, a bit like my posts perhaps but there you go.

adamaley

« Reply #146 on: 20 Sep 2010, 09:54 pm »
Would love to revive this thread and solicit further suggestions. Mine is Girl with the Dragon Tattoo and the Baader Meinhoff Complex.

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
« Reply #147 on: 20 Sep 2010, 10:19 pm »
Eraserhead

I snuck this movie into the firehouse about 25 years ago.  After a few minutes, most everyone watching started asking who brought this turd in...and they indeed guessed correctly. 

Ericus Rex

« Reply #148 on: 20 Sep 2010, 10:53 pm »
The Boy in the Striped Pajamas is the most powerful movie I've seen in a while.

Randy

« Reply #149 on: 20 Sep 2010, 11:08 pm »
SIAP - The Passion of Joan of Arc.

http://www.amazon.com/Passion-Joan-Criterion-Collection-Spine/dp/0780022343/ref=sr_1_1?s=dvd&ie=UTF8&qid=1285023981&sr=1-1

The criterion edition has an unfortunate soundtrack by the Anonymous 4 imposed upon it. It's only tolerable if you turn the volume way down and concentrate on the stunning visual images.

Ronm1

• "A Bug!! Naa...thats a feature!
« Reply #150 on: 21 Sep 2010, 12:56 am »
Jean De Florette
Manon of the Spring
The Man from Earth

and a few already mentioned particularly Seconds

jimdgoulding

« Reply #151 on: 21 Sep 2010, 03:35 pm »
This is out of the topic but I had an understanding as to why the priest resigned in the movie Doubt that I saw again recently.  There was discussion about why the priest did this in the forum some time ago and, best I can recall, no satisfactory reason was given or conclusion reached (or that I could appreciate at the time).  The reason the priest resigned was because that to fight the principle would mean exposure for the boy.  Of course, the priest knew, he was the boy's confessor.  He tried to dissuade her and protect the sanctity of the confessional and his vows, but could not.  So, too, did the boy's mother for reasons closer to home. 

Ya'll know Streep won the Oscar for this.  Jesus H she is good, the best, except in the final scene where the script was out of character.  Unless we are to believe this occurred to the principle after the fact.  She was so good in her charactor that didn't seem possible to me.  But they weren't gonna change the name of the film on my account.

werd

« Reply #152 on: 21 Sep 2010, 03:59 pm »
'Jaws' was the most terrifying...'Schindler's List' was the most thought provoking for me  :idea:

John

"Schindler's list" for sure. also Das Boot stayed with me for a long time. Any WW2 movie that doesnt satire the nazis or the german army.

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #153 on: 21 Sep 2010, 05:46 pm »
Love Happens (2009) with Aaron Eckhart & Jennifer Aniston, a story of self-help guru who while helping people overcome personal tragedy has never come to grips with his own wife's death and how the possiblility of a new romance forces him to truely confront his demons.

Very heartwarming movie that's currently being shown on HBO.  :thumb:

Cheers,
Robin

highfilter

« Reply #154 on: 21 Sep 2010, 06:00 pm »
2001: A Space Odyssey (1968). I remember the first time I saw this film, oh boy...  :thumb:

Hunger (2008). More recent movie which is very well done and brings up some meaningful discussion and much needed questions.

Mike Nomad

« Reply #155 on: 21 Sep 2010, 06:51 pm »
A few come to mind:

Chris Marker's La Jetee.

Rather than list individual films, the single disc DVD collection of Maya Deren's Experimental Films.

Rene Laloux's short films. Typically, some of them are found as extra material on the DVD release(s) of the film he is most known for, Fantastic Planet.

Wind Chaser

« Reply #156 on: 21 Sep 2010, 11:15 pm »
Love Happens (2009) with Aaron Eckhart & Jennifer Aniston...

Speaking of Aaron Eckhart, I just saw "In The Company of Men", a low budget film with a very disturbing look at the dark side of humanity.  Most films I can dismiss almost immediately after seeing, but not this one.

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #157 on: 21 Sep 2010, 11:49 pm »
A Clockwork Orange.

jimdgoulding

« Reply #158 on: 21 Sep 2010, 11:58 pm »
One movie that continues to move me(and I don't normally watch a movie more than a couple of times) is Contact w/ Jodie Foster. I would have really liked to see a sequel to this movie but then again I'm not sure if they could make a sequel that would complement the first. When it comes to stuff like a supreme being, aliens, space, time,,, stuff that tries to answer what we can only guess at, well that gets my attention and makes me think What If?  :scratch: :D

Cheers,
Robin
Yeah, I enjoyed this, too, Robin.  As I remember, she didn't actually go anywhere :o.  She met an entity from the future of mankind(?), an oversear race(?), someone who assures her anyway that things would be ok but it might be awhile.  What she says in the meeting or hearing that follows is the meat on the bone, I think.  Arthur Dent posted Oh Lucky Man! and in this the young ambitious protagonist sets out on a journey to seek his place in the world and returns in the end worn out and bewildered and walks up to the writer/director of the film and says something like, 'What's it all been about?' and gets promptly slapped across the face and into the present with what appears to be the movie's script.  He looks around and sees all the charactors he has encountered on his journey standing there in the room and around him smiling and realizes it's all been just a trip.  I like this one, too.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #159 on: 22 Sep 2010, 12:18 am »
Pretty much anything by Kubrick.  One thing I've learned about his work is that he conceived his films as more or less "waking dreams" and built them from the ground up to get inside your subconscious, mainly using non-related visual and musical associations that were not directly tied to the plot.  Viewed this way, there's a WHOLE lot more going on in his movies than you ever get from the surface narrative.  Having said that, I'd put Full Metal Jacket and The Shining at the top of the list of thought provoking because of how thoroughly they subvert the whole concept of a movie being "about" it's plot.