Most Thought Provoking Film / Movie You Have Seen?

JohninCR

Re: Most Thought Provoking Film / Movie You Have Seen?
« Reply #60 on: 17 Jun 2007, 04:09 am »
If the sole criteria is thought provoking then:

Jaws -  30 years later and I still can't avoid my thoughts turning to sharks
   when swimming in the ocean out where the water turns deep blue.  I
   used to love swimming parallel with the beach well past the break, but
   Jaws ruined all that.

Awakenings -  Can you imagine having your brain caught for decades in a
   body that can't move?

The Matrix -  The basic premise made it great.

1000a

« Reply #61 on: 17 Jun 2007, 06:28 am »
well I am all typed out but a few I liked, that pushed some grey matter and emotion,
being a still photographer and a music lover although some are not as traditionally thought provoking as others - my artist side is usuall pretty heavily engaged in studying the shots, ligthing, angles, depth of field, timing of or lack of music, visual transitions and so on.  Love metaphor in film if its done with class. Some film's make me reflect on my personal journey while others just press my mind.

Crash the recent and the older one
81/2
The River
Blue Velvet
Wild Strawberries
Magnolia
Nobody's Fool
Unforgiven
Short Cuts/Takes? R. Altman
Memento
A Beautiful Mind
Rumble Fish
Teen Virgin Suicides
Garden State
Blade Runner
Sliding Doors
Barton Fink
Box of Moonlight
Panic
The Cooler
Secret Window
Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas (the extreme wide angles in this film are alot of fun)
some Tarentino

there is a lot of good film out there, it just needs to be sought out amonsgt the 10' plie of crap, (there is enough I never even heard of yet out of iqnorance) I am heavy into NetFlix they have most everything, while the Blockbuster people peddle mostly mainstream.  Finally wanted to see Casablanca and wouldn't ya know blockbuster only had the ted turner colorized version.  He is like Yoko Ono coloring on John's drawings if that ain't love what else could be!  People f-nin w someones art when they are dead.

As of late Turturro, William Macy and Steve Bussimi (spelt wrong) are people I really enjoy watching act, they all kick some serious ass.

china

« Reply #62 on: 17 Jun 2007, 01:20 pm »
Hello AudioCircle,

Hope this finds everyone well and in the best of spirits and health.

I would like to suggest. Mel Gibson's "The Passion of the Christ" on Twentieth Century Fox and Casper Noe's "Irreversible" on Lions Gate.

Watching "Passion" & "Irreversible" may make you question why you watch movies.
   If you just want movies to be entertainment and nothing more then obviously this is not something you will EVER want to see in your life.
   But if you think that film, like literature, is capable of many things, including looking at horrible and disturbing subject matter that you would prefer not to deal with, then "Passion" & "Irreversible" may be highly recommended.
   But beware, these films may be extremely difficult to watch.

As always, all the best. From China

Turnandcough

« Reply #63 on: 7 Aug 2007, 02:53 am »
"Seconds" by John Frankenheimer is by far the single most disturbing/thought provoking film I've ever seen. The whole premise of being reborn, with all that it entails, James Wong Howe's excellent cinematography and the morbid ending really creeped me out. 

Just curious... This is a rather obscure movie from the 60's. I was wondering if anybody else here has seen it.

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #64 on: 7 Aug 2007, 02:58 am »
"Seconds" by John Frankenheimer is by far the single most disturbing/thought provoking film I've ever seen. The whole premise of being reborn, with all that it entails, James Wong Howe's excellent cinematography and the morbid ending really creeped me out. 

Just curious... This is a rather obscure movie from the 60's. I was wondering if anybody else here has seen it.
http://www.scifimoviepage.com/seconds.html

DeadFish

« Reply #65 on: 7 Aug 2007, 03:09 am »
Yes, Turnandcough, I've seen "Seconds".  I saw it first at the show when I was in high school and hitting the theatre on friday nights.   Maybe the first time I had respect for Rock Hudson.
Definitely gave me a jolt hearing the electric drill spinning at the end of the film.
 :o
Hadn't thought of this one in a while...Thanks for the reminder!
DF

Jim N.

• Who you callin' an audiophile?????
« Reply #66 on: 7 Aug 2007, 03:34 am »

I saw it when it was in general release in the 60's. Good film despite the fact the Rock Hudson was a lousy actor outside of light comedy. Creepy, claustrophobic, disturbing film...

dado5

« Reply #67 on: 7 Aug 2007, 07:42 pm »
Nothing beats a good anti-war movie to get you to rethink your priorities IMO.

The Americanization of Emily

Paths of Glory

The Outlaw Josey Wales

To End All Wars

Shenandoah

All available on DVD.

KCI-JohnP

« Reply #68 on: 16 Aug 2007, 08:22 pm »
China,

While reading this entire thread "Irreversible"  was in the back of my mind, on that thought you should try and see Repulsion but be prepared...

John

dado5

« Reply #69 on: 16 Aug 2007, 09:36 pm »
While reading this entire thread "Irreversible"  was in the back of my mind, on that thought you should try and see Repulsion but be prepared..
]

Irreversible was way over hyped IMO.  Overwrought violence (how many fire extinguisher whacks does it take to get to the center of a skull?) and silly plot twists do nothing to make a movie 'disturbing'. Contrived and indulgent are more fitting adjectives than shocking or disturbing.

And I'm not trying to pick on JohnP, I swear, but I did not get Repulsion at all (assuming this is the Polanski flick and not some other). I  had difficulty sticking with it til the end. Not saying it was bad in the sense of the above film, I just couldn't see the point Polanski was trying to make. Maybe I missed something.

Night_Train

« Reply #70 on: 26 May 2008, 02:41 pm »
Some hearty folks may like to try these two depraved foriegn films:

- Salo (if it can still be found)

- Visitor Q

From a previous post of mine. This movie might be for any brave soul or anyone that may be interested. It also may not be for any of you. So, be forewarned this movie is not for everyone, including yourselves. But, if you are so inclined....DVD Empire is selling "Salo" at a pre-release price of $19.97 and has been for about a week. This may or may not be the last day at that price before going back up to 39.99 or whatever.

This movie has been out of print and nearly impossible to get for years, other than paying upwards of $400.00 or more in order to get a bootleg or a rare original copy. DVD Empire sells some pre-release movies at 50% off frequently and this one does show up for now. But to be aware, the movie's re-release is not slated until August sometime, but pre-orders by this company are being taken. No guarantees that this won't be taken off the slate by Criterion or any reseller(s).

There is much history behind this movie both good and bad and will need to be taken into consideration by yourselves before you decide on picking up or even viewing this film. There has never been anything quite like this movie and probably never ever will be again. Is that good or bad? That's all up to you to decide....Many others already have made up their own minds about this movie and its relative worth to cinema and that's part of what makes this film so disgustingly special. Not to mention that this was this director's last film and was murdered several weeks after the films completion. Love it or leave it.......it hauntingly still leaves an indelible mark on film cinema history.

http://dvdempire.com/Content/pm/prebook_sale.asp?site_id=4&site_media_id=0&cat_id=&view=&pp=&sort=8&pe=&partner_id=92601954

giantsteps

« Reply #71 on: 26 May 2008, 04:45 pm »

2001: A Space Odyssey

French films in general

Frank

PhilNYC

« Reply #72 on: 26 May 2008, 04:47 pm »
While reading this entire thread "Irreversible"  was in the back of my mind, on that thought you should try and see Repulsion but be prepared..
]

Irreversible was way over hyped IMO.  Overwrought violence (how many fire extinguisher whacks does it take to get to the center of a skull?) and silly plot twists do nothing to make a movie 'disturbing'. Contrived and indulgent are more fitting adjectives than shocking or disturbing.

I can appreciate the filmmaking talent that went into Irreversible, but in the end it all seemed a bit pointless...and yes, some of the "twists" were a little contrived.

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #73 on: 26 May 2008, 06:29 pm »
One movie that continues to move me(and I don't normally watch a movie more than a couple of times) is Contact w/ Jodie Foster. I would have really liked to see a sequel to this movie but then again I'm not sure if they could make a sequel that would complement the first. When it comes to stuff like a supreme being, aliens, space, time,,, stuff that tries to answer what we can only guess at, well that gets my attention and makes me think What If?  :scratch: :D

Cheers,
Robin

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #74 on: 26 May 2008, 07:10 pm »
For me, without doubt, the answer is "A Man for All Seasons".  No violence, little action, incredible depth of character, and reasoned dialogue-- a true story that should make any cognizant being question what is of value.  Paul Scoffield's measured performance is the most memorable bit of acting that I have ever seen.
The great Orson Wells creates a beautifully nuanced version of Cardinal Woolsey, showing his fatigue and depravity. 

Also I would include the mini-series "Brideshead Revisited".  I don't think I have every been quite so shaken as I was after watching this rather languid picture of innocence replaced by spiritual emptiness.  It is still hard to watch.

La Dolce Vita, To Kill a Mockingbird--- and from Woody Allen,  "Crimes and Misdemeanors".  Who knew there was so much darkness at the core of this comedian?

Wayner

« Reply #75 on: 26 May 2008, 07:18 pm »
Caddy Shack

TRADERXFAN

• Trillions will vanish... it's a debt blackhole.
    • GALLERY
« Reply #76 on: 26 May 2008, 07:42 pm »
Great thread, I hadn't noticed this one until today. Going back through quickly I didn't see this one mentioned but I think it deserves a spot.

Waking Life -Linklater

This is mostly an exposition of thought/philosophy, very loosely tied to the main character rather than a story, so keep that in mind. However, some of those ideas I still turn over in my mind to this day. One, the guy in the bar regarding our intellectual progress since the Greeks.  And another, the discussion of how a new idea is near simultaneously had by more than one person.  There are several characters/personas that I found to be interesting/entertaining.

Then the interesting effect (that has since been overused to an irritating degree by the schwab commercials) of animating over actual film helps facilitate the suspension of disbelief necessary for this film. 

-Tony

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #77 on: 25 Jun 2008, 05:43 pm »
The Diving Bell and the Butterfly would be up there for me - but partly because I recorded the theme - the solo piano piece that keeps coming back (shameless self promotion!).

Great movie, though not easy watching.

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #78 on: 25 Jun 2008, 06:03 pm »
"The Game" ...... Wow. This kept me thinking for days.
Momento
Magnolia
Matrix I
Blood Diamond
Finding Nemo

Bob  :wink:

Thebiker

« Reply #79 on: 25 Jun 2008, 06:13 pm »
Videodrome