Most Thought Provoking Film / Movie You Have Seen?

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
Re: Most Thought Provoking Film / Movie You Have Seen?
« Reply #80 on: 25 Jun 2008, 07:18 pm »
Animal House -- no question I was going to college after that.

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #81 on: 25 Jun 2008, 07:21 pm »

:lol: :lol: :lol:  I guess that qualifies as "thought provoking"!  But I must confess- I've never seen Animal House. :oops:

mcullinan

« Reply #82 on: 25 Jun 2008, 07:28 pm »
A Clockwork Orange

Twin Peaks

The Cook the Thief His Wife & Her Lover

Brazil

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
« Reply #83 on: 25 Jun 2008, 07:31 pm »

:lol: :lol: :lol:  I guess that qualifies as "thought provoking"!  But I must confess- I've never seen Animal House. :oops:

Rob,

You have to see it.  It's a cultural reference -- John Belushi at his best,  "Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?"  :lol: :lol:

Another goofball movie that makes you laugh and think -- The Gods Must Be Crazy.  :thumb:

Thought of another one:  The Rocky Horror Picture Show.  I confess I like the music -- lyrics and all.  I am still looking for an Audiophile pressing.  aa

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #84 on: 25 Jun 2008, 08:33 pm »
Another goofball movie that makes you laugh and think -- The Gods Must Be Crazy. 

Cool movie.
Actually, now that you mention it, that IS a thought provoking movie.....in a weird way.  :thumb:

Wind Chaser

« Reply #85 on: 25 Jun 2008, 09:20 pm »
Videodrome

After watching that one in the early 80's, I distinctively remember leaving the theater saying to Rocket Ronny "I need a drink".  That one was a bender...

Night_Train

« Reply #86 on: 25 Jun 2008, 09:29 pm »
Fringe movies.

"Caligula" Tinto Brass unrated edition. There is an R rated version for the less adventurous. You won't get the full impact of this movie with the "R" version though. The unrated version will raise a little hair off the dog..... I have the limited Imperial edition.

"Salon Kitty" If you find Tinto Brass' above movie somewhat, well......try this one too. As for depraved movies, there is some historical truth in both of these films.

"Pink Flamingos" If the above movies don't get under the skin.

Wind Chaser

« Reply #87 on: 25 Jun 2008, 09:30 pm »
A Clockwork Orange

I think that was my first Kubrick experience and for me it was more disturbing than thought provoking.  They sure didn't hold back on that rape scene.  Explicitly nasty and brutal.  I felt damaged after seeing that one.

Vapor Audio

• Industry Participant
  • Building Audio Bling since 2007
    • Vapor Audio
« Reply #88 on: 25 Jun 2008, 09:52 pm »
Recent times a couple good ones were "Children of Men" and "Land of the Blind"

TheChairGuy

« Reply #89 on: 25 Jun 2008, 09:52 pm »
'Jaws' was the most terrifying...'Schindler's List' was the most thought provoking for me  :idea:

John

Wind Chaser

« Reply #90 on: 25 Jun 2008, 09:58 pm »
The Blood Diamond wasn't without effect.  Every woman should know that while vanity is selective, unlike diamonds, there are no atrocities committed in the name of audio.

Vapor Audio

• Industry Participant
  • Building Audio Bling since 2007
    • Vapor Audio
« Reply #91 on: 25 Jun 2008, 10:48 pm »
I think as far as showing atrocities of African nations on their own people, Last King of Scotland was a much better example ... and a much better movie ... than Blood Diamond.

IronLion

« Reply #92 on: 25 Jun 2008, 10:49 pm »
Darwin's Nightmare certainly ranks up there for me. 

Wind Chaser

« Reply #93 on: 25 Jun 2008, 10:50 pm »
I think as far as showing atrocities of African nations on their own people, Last King of Scotland was a much better example ... and a much better movie ... than Blood Diamond.

Never got around to seeing that one.

hayden

« Reply #94 on: 26 Jun 2008, 01:59 am »
In the Valley of Elah.

JP

Bigfish

« Reply #95 on: 26 Jun 2008, 02:32 am »
I have seen many of the movies mentioned in the previous threads and found all of them to be thought provoking.  However, the movie that was most thought provoking for me was "Amistad."  I don't know how anyone could watch this movie and not be moved by the human cruelty that unfortunately is a part of our past.

Ken

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #96 on: 26 Jun 2008, 02:43 am »
Presuming multiples are acceptable for differing 'thoughts provoked', and 2nding Dr Strangelove, Slaughter House 5, Blade Runner, & Caddy Shack (still looking for ultimate enlightenment), some that have & do still make me think -

O Lucky Man - early Malcom McDowell, a long one, 3 Hrs.

King of Hearts - Alan Bates, Genvieve Bujold, the asylum is opened and the 'nuts' inhabit the town WWI France.

A Boy & His Dog - early Don Johnson, post apocalypse, great story line

The Forbidden Planet - classic, is man really ready for ultimate technology, don't forget the 'Id'

The Day the Earth Stood Still - simply classic

Bigfish - not the prior poster, the movie, Albert Finney at his best.

Great thread, lots I haven't seen here-in, will try to check out some of those noted. Tough to pick a "Most Thought Provoking", much like picking a Favorite 'Album'. Cause for brain-freeze.

TerryO

« Reply #97 on: 26 Jun 2008, 03:34 am »
Most of the one's that I think are thought provoking are already listed, to wit:

Schindler's List
The Passion
Saving Pvt. Ryan
Triumph of the Will
Amistad

And I'd also add:

The Mission
Master and Commander
Forrest Gump
The World's Fastest Indian

I'll probably think of others, but I don't really see an awful lot of movies as I'd usually rather read.

Best Regards,
TerryO

ZLS

« Reply #98 on: 26 Jun 2008, 12:41 pm »
    M (1931) directed by Fritz Lange and stariing Peter Lorre.  It is set in 1931 Berlin in which Peter Lorre plays a child molester/murderer.  This movie is profound on so many levels, but two stand out as the ones that make me think. 
    The first is that in the hands of a skilled Director you do not need to be graphic to create true horror and terror. 
    The second is what is the true meaning of evil.  Peter Lorre atempts to explain that he is under a compulsion and has no choice in what he does.  You realize that this makes no difference, that evil is in the act itself, the reasons why are not important. 
    Referencing a previous post in this thread, if you want to understand the 1933 movie The Triumph of the Will M will show you how it could happen. 
    M is a movie that you will think about the rest of your life.   

panomaniac

« Reply #99 on: 28 Jun 2008, 03:53 am »
Nice thread.  Happy to see some of my choices already mentioned.
Surprised to see "Toto, le Heros"  mentioned.  That's thought provoking itself. :)  (I wore out my VHS copy)

Yeah, Barton Fink, for sure.  It was the first time I had seen any of those actors, and my first Coen film.
Brazil, Clockwork Orange, Virgin Spring - of course!

Let me add 2 more.

Tous les Matins du Monde
.   A film about sadness and music.  A very, very sad film in many ways.  But it dares to say that sadness is not an emotion to be avoided, that it's a noble, important sentiment.  I was working as a projectionist in California when this was on.  It took any viewings to realize what a great film this, truly great.  Never thought the sunny Californians would get it, but they did.

Skullduggery from 1970.  A little known sci-fi flick that never gets remembered.  Burt Reynolds plays the lead scientist!  About a band of "missing links" found in the jungle of New Guinea.  Man, or animal?  Crazy film from the short French novel by Pierre Vercor.  Great thought provoking film for a young mind.

Oh, and Polanski's "The Tenant".  Maybe not so thought provoking  - maybe just very creepy.  I thought about this one a lot when apartment hunting in Paris.....