Most Thought Provoking Film / Movie You Have Seen?

Russell Dawkins

Re: Most Thought Provoking Film / Movie You Have Seen?
« Reply #100 on: 28 Jun 2008, 04:43 am »
Tous les Matins du Monde.   A film about sadness and music.  A very, very sad film in many ways.  But it dares to say that sadness is not an emotion to be avoided, that it's a noble, important sentiment.  I was working as a projectionist in California when this was on.  It took any viewings to realize what a great film this, truly great.  Never thought the sunny Californians would get it, but they did.

Fantastic music in that, too - so good you don't care about the lack of sync between the sound and the actors' fingers on the viols.

panomaniac

« Reply #101 on: 28 Jun 2008, 06:34 pm »
Fantastic music in that, too - so good you don't care about the lack of sync between the sound and the actors' fingers on the viols.

LOL!  Well, at least they are trying hard. 

Yeah, the music is wonderful..

jimdgoulding

« Reply #102 on: 29 Jun 2008, 09:16 pm »
Thought Charlie Wilson's War was pretty thought provoking.  And, Three Days of The Condor has to make you think about it's subject these days.  Of the movies that included Nazi atrocities, Sophie's Choice has stuck with me the longest.   An off beat little movie named Dinner Rush was filmed in one room with tons of people all with story lines going on and you couldn't see the seams.  A little masterpiece of direction and editing on a small scale.  Film making is fascinating stuff, IMO.  Along the lines of Condor, The Quiet American was pretty thought provoking.  Our foriegn policy is all about not only preserving American interests, capital interests, it's about expanding them, and the end justifies the means, or so it would seem in this and Condor.  Wilson's war seemed to be more about humanity, however.  Here's a thought provoking little book (could make for an interesting movie):  Cat's Cradle by Kurt Vonnegut.

ZLS

« Reply #103 on: 29 Jun 2008, 09:36 pm »
Thought Charlie Wilson's War was pretty thought provoking.  And, Three Days of The Condor has to make you think about it's subject these days.  Of the movies that included Nazi atrocities, Sophie's Choice has stuck with me the longest.   An off beat little movie named Dinner Rush was filmed in one room with tons of people all with story lines going on and you couldn't see the seams.  A little masterpiece of direction and editing on a small scale.  Film making is fascinating stuff, IMO.  Along the lines of Condor, The Quiet American was pretty thought provoking.  Our foriegn policy is all about not only preserving American interests, capital interests, it's about expanding them, and the end justifies the means, or so it would seem in this and Condor.  Wilson's war seemed to be more about humanity, however.  Here's a thought provoking little book (could make for an interesting movie):  Cat's Cradle by Kurt Vonnegut.
  Dinner is a nice little movie.  Danny Aiello is excellent.  It is in its own way and very telling social commentary. 

Bemopti123

« Reply #104 on: 29 Jun 2008, 10:12 pm »
If it was not mentioned before,

The Last Temptation of Christ

A coeur en hiver...A heart in Winter, finally on DVD.

The Lover, also on DVD, excellent 1990s movies about the write Marguerite Duras.

The Color of Paradise, an excellent Iranian movie.  I once saw a string of Iranian movies at a cinema festival, they are not well distributed in the US, but in terms of story telling and cinematography, absolutely astonishing.  Puts most, if not all Hollywood movies to shame.   

bummrush

« Reply #105 on: 30 Jun 2008, 12:28 am »
Reefer Madness,sorry couldnt resist

orthobiz

« Reply #106 on: 30 Jun 2008, 12:39 am »
An Occurrence At Owl Creek Bridge
28 minute movie, won Cannes Festival short film in 60's
Shown on Twilight Zone uncut
Saw it as a kid, still sends chills up my spine

http://www.liketelevision.com/liketelevision/tuner.php?channel=139&format=movie&theme=guide

Check it out for free!

Paul

SET Man

« Reply #107 on: 30 Jun 2008, 04:52 am »
Bergman's "Jungfrukällan" or "Virgin Spring"  A true masterpiece.

Jim

Hey!

Jim, I saw the "Virgin Spring" once. Cinematically it is well done. :D

And yes it definitely got me asking myself of what would I do if I were him?  :?

Anyway, for me and this have been mentioned before.... "Saving Private Ryan" Why? Well, I like history and WWII is something that just mind boggling for me. This make me feel lucky that I don't have to experience anything like that in my life.... so far :roll:

Take care,
Buddy :thumb:

TONEPUB

« Reply #108 on: 30 Jun 2008, 06:08 am »
Eraserhead....

Night_Train

« Reply #109 on: 1 Aug 2008, 12:21 pm »
For David Lynch fans that have not seen "Lost Highway," you might like to plug into this DVD. I'm having a hard time choosing what my favorite film is of his now after seeing this movie. "Classic" Lynch at his best.

Randy

« Reply #110 on: 8 Sep 2008, 03:28 am »
When I first saw "The Deer Hunter", I had just joined the military.  Let me tell you, I didn't sleep for three days.  I just couldn't get some of those images out of my head.  I have never watched it again.

I am a Viet Nam war vet and had to walk out on The Deer Hunter. Couldn't bear it. Should have known better than to go see it.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #111 on: 8 Sep 2008, 05:31 am »
I put EWS by Kubrick previously but I'm changing it to 2001 for now, simply for the scope and vision.  No doubt I'll be back to EWS again shortly.

audio-heaven

« Reply #112 on: 8 Sep 2008, 10:25 am »
BLADE RUNNER for me :thumb:

JackD201

« Reply #113 on: 8 Sep 2008, 02:19 pm »
Lord of War

I walked into this movie with my wife and another couple expecting just another Nicolas Cage movie. From the opening scene which tracks a single 7.62x39 round (AK-47's bullet) from a Russian munitions factory into the barrel of a child soldier's barrel in Africa and finally connecting with his target, I was shaken. While the morality tale of the rise of a lowly thug to a arms dealer of global disrepute may seem too much like a Scarface knock-off on the surface it is actually quite original in its treatment.

I thought I was walking into just another Hollywood cookie-cutter action film. I had no idea I was walking into a horror film where the monsters were people we probably wouldn't give a second look to if we were seated in adjacent tables at a restaurant. We ARE the monsters on this planet. Now THAT is one heck of a thought!

This is the only time in my life where the entire audience stayed seated in complete and utter silence even as the credits began to roll. The entire crowd left in silence too. I'm sure they didn't know what they were walking into either. It was like watching a car crash in slow motion.

arthurs

« Reply #114 on: 8 Sep 2008, 02:42 pm »
Eraserhead....

Agreed Jeff, this one stays with me even though I haven't seen it in years, and am still not sure which parts bother me most, or is it just the whole of the film?

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #115 on: 8 Sep 2008, 02:47 pm »
Lord of War

Ditto everything you said. The occational narrative given by Nicholas Cage really made you "get in this guys head", like you were there with him as opposed to simply watching a movie.
The extra bonus is that it's a darn good movie as well. Loved it.

Bob

PhilNYC

« Reply #116 on: 8 Sep 2008, 02:52 pm »
For David Lynch fans that have not seen "Lost Highway," you might like to plug into this DVD. I'm having a hard time choosing what my favorite film is of his now after seeing this movie. "Classic" Lynch at his best.

Yes, I will agree that LOST HIGHWAY is my favorite Lynch film, and perhaps one of my favorite films ever.  Definitely not a film for everybody, but for those who like to not take film literally, it is incredibly sophisticated.

PhilNYC

« Reply #117 on: 8 Sep 2008, 02:57 pm »
PAN'S LABYRINTH is another one that I think deserves to be mentioned in this thread (if it hasn't already)....

WerTicus

« Reply #118 on: 8 Sep 2008, 04:51 pm »
Good work guys, now i have 20 odd movies qued up in utorrent :)

wish i could think of one not mentioned.

I suppose Toy Story because it was the first 3d animated flick, and it's success paved the way for a whole host of great movies that are truly G rated in that adults can enjoy them as much as kids.

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #119 on: 8 Sep 2008, 05:36 pm »
"Phone Booth
I forgot about this one.
It's one of those rare movies that leaves you feeling like you've really gotten somthing for your time spent watching it. Darn good flick.

Here's a review:
http://movies.about.com/cs/phonebooth/a/phoneboothrev.htm

Bob

p.s. (Make that "21" on your list!  aa)