Most Thought Provoking Film / Movie You Have Seen?

Wind Chaser

Most Thought Provoking Film / Movie You Have Seen?
« on: 21 May 2007, 04:58 pm »
No spoilers...

As a kid growing up in the cold war, the threat of nuclear annihilation seemed like an ever present reality.  I still remember the sound of the air raid sirens going off as they were occasionally tested.  All throughout my school years I was taught that both the Soviets and Americans were ready to push the button at any given moment and the better part of humanity would be vaporized in an instant.  Of course anyone who was not instantly vaporized would inevitably killed off by the fallout. “Testament” is a haunting film that explores the latter possibility in the context of a small isolated community in northern California.  Like the “Day After” it was originally made for TV, but the much more emotionally gripping “Testament” became a theatrical release instead.

This isn't what you would call an entertaining film.  I saw it in the theater in 1983 when it was first released.  What a depressing film.  The better part of the audience in tears remained as the credits rolled.  Nobody said a word as we drove home.

It's 24 years later and I just saw it again.  Maybe I'm just emotionally detached or perhaps I feel a little too secure now that the cold war is history.  But the fact remains there are plenty of bombs out there and more players than before.

On a more cheery note, this is one of Kevin Costner’s and Rebecca De Mornay’s first films before they made it big.

sts9fan

Re: Most Thought Provoking Film / Movie You Have Seen?
« Reply #1 on: 21 May 2007, 05:23 pm »
Baraka by far. 
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baraka_(film)

I also love Koyaanisqatsi

IronLion

« Reply #2 on: 21 May 2007, 06:48 pm »
Second Baraka.  Other than that, Big Trouble in Little China. 

meilankev

« Reply #3 on: 21 May 2007, 07:40 pm »
When I first saw "The Deer Hunter", I had just joined the military.  Let me tell you, I didn't sleep for three days.  I just couldn't get some of those images out of my head.  I have never watched it again.

If you want to disregard that choice because it is here primarily because of when it occurred in my life, my choice would be "A Clockwork Orange".  I hated having to accept the way I was so easily manipulated by the end of this movie.  Brilliant filmmaking.

Kevin

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #4 on: 21 May 2007, 08:10 pm »
It would be hard to narrow it down to just one, but forced to do so I'd choose Grave of the Fireflies, an anime film about the struggles of a young boy and his little sister to survive in WWII Japan.  It was very difficult to watch, and I likewise have been unable to watch it a 2nd time.  I highly recommend it to everyone with the caveat that it's definately not appropriate for children.

Lost In Translation
would probably make my Top 10, too.

Woodsea

« Reply #5 on: 21 May 2007, 08:38 pm »
It is either Porky's or Mindwalk  :scratch: 

nathanm

« Reply #6 on: 21 May 2007, 08:43 pm »
Thought-provoking...that's a tough one!  Not many movies can do that. 

Don't laugh, but one of them for me would have to be the original Matrix.  I went in the theater with friends having no idea whatsoever what it was supposed to be about (always a good idea, trailers ruin movies!)  No so much that the movie itself was so thought-provoking, but just the basic sci-fi concept was.  The idea that reality as we know it could be an illusion.  Killer robots aside, I see human culture heading down this path.  Unfortunately the series turned into a load of crap by the end.

Then on the opposite end...how about the commentary track of "Die You Zombie Bastards".  The shock and awe is twofold here.  On one hand you've got this impossibly horrible low budget horror movie and on the other you've got the filmmakers taking it so dead seriously I was stunned!  It's like stumbling onto this area of culture that you never really knew existed and wish you never had.  It is unlike anything I've ever seen on screen.  I triple dog dare anyone to rent this.  Maybe it's not meant to be watched sober, I dunno.

Most David Lynch stuff I've seen is thought provoking with many of the thoughts beginnging with "Huh?"

"Jesus Camp" shows us how Powerpoint, which is funny enough in it's own right, can be made 10 times funnier.

jakepunk

« Reply #7 on: 21 May 2007, 08:48 pm »
Saving Private Ryan.

ctviggen

« Reply #8 on: 21 May 2007, 09:25 pm »
I was about the same age when I saw Jaws.  It's not good to send a younger child to see such a movie, especially when the child lives....in Florida.  By the beach.  ;-)

jermmd

« Reply #9 on: 21 May 2007, 09:30 pm »
I spent a lot of time wondering about Donnie Darko when I first saw it. Not any deep meaningful thoughts, more of WTF?

Tweaker

« Reply #10 on: 21 May 2007, 09:30 pm »
Plan 9 From Outer Space. How was it possible to make a movie so bad?
(so bad that it's good). I think it actually took a strange sort of genius, almost, to do what Ed Wood did.
The recent horror flick Descent (British ending) was rather thought provoking. Almost every Chinese movie I've ever seen, most of which are wonderful, have been thought provoking as they rarely wrap things up in nice tidy packages at the end. They just sort of... end, leaving you to figure stuff out for yourself.
The Iranian film "Color Of Paradise" will certainly leave you thinking. It will also tear your heart out. Very tragic. Extraordinary.
The Indian film "Water" also comes to mind.

byteme

« Reply #11 on: 21 May 2007, 09:34 pm »
Two come to mind right off - and both I saw for the first time at home on DVD.  Both I had to watch again the next night after seeing them the first time.  Thought provoking to me doesn't mean emotional, it means got inside my head and wouldn't leave for a while.

Amazingly, not unlike Nathan, I had heard or seen NOTHING of The Matrix when it was in theaters.  I bought it because of all the buzz about it.  I was blown away.  I watched it from the beginning again that night and then again the next night.

The other time that happened was with Run Lola Run (Lola Rennat).  Great movie.  Really fun concept about how tiny moments can totally change things in your life.

I have yet to see BARAKA but I've heard that's amazing.  I'll have to put that on the list for this weekend.

nathanm

« Reply #12 on: 21 May 2007, 09:57 pm »
I spent a lot of time wondering about Donnie Darko when I first saw it. Not any deep meaningful thoughts, more of WTF?
Great one too!  Anytime you get a movie with time travel or non-linear storylines it always becomes something that messes with your mind and makes you think after its over.  The scenes where Donnie tells off the self help guy and the stuffy teacher I found to be especially delicious.  I cheered, though nobody heard me.  Can't decide which is better though, the original or the director's cut.  I remember reading about it on the Norh site, but for some bizarre reason I thought it was some kind of anime thing and forgot about it until recently.  :scratch:

contrarian

« Reply #13 on: 22 May 2007, 04:10 am »
Slaughterhouse-Five seen many years ago - but still a favorite.  If this film doesn't provoke thought then you're perhaps a zombie.  :)

Wind Chaser

« Reply #14 on: 22 May 2007, 11:36 am »
Thought provoking to me doesn't mean emotional, it means got inside my head and wouldn't leave for a while.

I'm not a shrink but aren't feelings derived from thoughts?  Don't they take place inside your head?  People generally tend to feel one way or another about what they observe and consequently think about.

Most movies for me are often entirely forgettable.  Just last weekend I saw something in the theater, but I can't recall what it was, the title or even who was in it.  No thoughts, no feelings.

If OTOH a movie makes an impact (like Blood Diamond) it sticks and is not soon forgotten.  Generally these kinds of films touch on the way we perceive the world around us.

The first 20 minutes of Saving Private Ryan sticks, the rest of it is forgetable.

Wind Chaser

« Reply #15 on: 22 May 2007, 11:44 am »
"A Clockwork Orange".  I hated having to accept the way I was so easily manipulated by the end of this movie.  Brilliant filmmaking.

That was a disturbing film.  I saw that back in the 1970's and to this day it's one of a few films I wish I had not seen.  Graphic rape scenes don't sit with me well.

RichardS

« Reply #16 on: 22 May 2007, 12:11 pm »
Both Schindler's list and The Swing Kids showcased man's inhumanity to man during WW2, and the strength and courage of a few who challenge it in the face of great personal danger. Jakob the Liar, with Robin Williams falls into a similar category. Makes you wonder if you could rise to the occasion under similar circumstances. BTW, The Swing Kids has some great music....

Night_Train

« Reply #17 on: 22 May 2007, 12:25 pm »
"The Manson Family" 2003 version by Jim Van Bebber and Dark Sky Films . This film is not for the faint of heart....and makes all other Manson films look like the Saturday morning cartoons. Beware!

http://www.themansonfamilydvd.com/index.asp
« Last Edit: 22 May 2007, 01:12 pm by Night_Train »

Bigfish

« Reply #18 on: 22 May 2007, 12:38 pm »
There have been a lot of movies that are thought provoking, not just entertaining like Pirates of the Caribbean.  "Roots,"  The original "Basic Instinct" and Blood Diamond are three that pop into my head.

Ken

PhilNYC

« Reply #19 on: 22 May 2007, 01:26 pm »
Return to Paradise (starring Vince Vaughn, Joaquin Phoenix, and Anne Heche)...a "prisoner's dilemna" plot with great depth and inner-self examination...

Any of the sci-fi movies based on Philip K. Dick books (eg. Blade Runner, Minority Report, Total Recall)...stories that play on real versus fake memories, "what-if" situations, etc.

2001: A Space Odessey...mankind's place in the universe...