Transporter Mods...in the works...need input!

modwright

Re: Transporter Mods...in the works...need input!
« Reply #100 on: 29 Aug 2007, 04:09 pm »
The rectifier tube is pretty much in the middle, with the signal tubes being on the right hand side, one in front of the other, closest to the outputs.  Obviously the power transformer is on the opposite end of the chassis and is specifically a toroidal type with shields, to allow for minimal stray emissions.

I will post a photo once I have proper shots taken of the finished product.

Thanks,

Dan

truckfighters

« Reply #101 on: 30 Aug 2007, 04:00 pm »
very excited ;))

how can you remove the top cover when the tubes are exposed, since the cover is a back sliding version?

dan, what in general do you think of the AKM DAC used in the transporter?

cheers
truckfighters

ps: does anybody know, why I don't get any notification emails about new replies? notification is enabled

modwright

« Reply #102 on: 30 Aug 2007, 11:00 pm »
I don't know that there is really much reason to remove the lid, but in order to do so, you simply remove the tubes, remove the lid screws and slide it off as you normally would.  The tubes being exposed enables you to replace tubes without removing the lid.

Thanks,

Dan

modwright

Overdue pictures of the finished product!
« Reply #103 on: 27 Sep 2007, 02:05 am »
Here is a picture of the inside of the modified Transporter....

Pictures of finished external unit to follow.  Obviously all tubes are exposed and we have a good stock of 5U4G, 5U4GB, 5V4 and 5V4GB rectifier tubes.  Signal tubes may be 6CG7, 6N1P and 6922 family of tubes.

Thanks,

Dan W.

AB

Re: Overdue pictures of the finished product!
« Reply #104 on: 27 Sep 2007, 02:36 am »

Number One. That looks like my kitchen floor.
Number Two. I can only see Modwright bits in that box - transformer, caps, tubes, chokes, etc.
What's normally found in a Transporter? Not much?
Number Three. That thing looks cool.

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #105 on: 27 Sep 2007, 04:16 am »

Pictures of finished external unit to follow.  Obviously all tubes are exposed and we have a good stock of 5U4G, 5U4GB, 5V4 and 5V4GB rectifier tubes.  Signal tubes may be 6CG7, 6N1P and 6922 family of tubes.

Thanks,

Dan W.

Is that mine?  Get it off that dusty floor!!   :lol: :lol:

I'm looking very forward to the arrival.  Thanks,
Ted

modwright

« Reply #106 on: 28 Sep 2007, 04:12 pm »
Number One, that IS my kitchen floor, in lieu of a professional photo studio and a HECK of a lot nicer looking than my lab ;).

I will post pictures with the lid on soon and will follow with actual professinal photos too.

There is a lot of real estate inside the Transporter box.  The WIFI receiver, processors, analog and digital supplies, DACs, precision clock circuit, Jung Super Regulator voltage regs and stock analog stage all reside on a long shallow PCB that runs the full length of the rear of the unit.  Over 1/2 of the depth of the chassis is open, allowing us to build our custom analog stage module inside, as well as a sophisticated analog power supply for our circuit.

Thanks,

Dan

riffer

« Reply #107 on: 28 Sep 2007, 08:48 pm »

Number Two. I can only see Modwright bits in that box - transformer, caps, tubes, chokes, etc.
What's normally found in a Transporter? Not much?

Do a google.  Some guy posted a bunch of pictures of the inside of a Transporter on another forum.  Basically 3/4+ of what you see above is Modwright.

ted_b

• Volunteer
« Reply #108 on: 28 Sep 2007, 08:53 pm »
Before:

and after:

alan m. kafton

« Reply #109 on: 28 Sep 2007, 09:19 pm »
Hey, Dan......can I get it in purple?    :D

JEaton

« Reply #110 on: 28 Sep 2007, 09:21 pm »
Hey, Dan......can I get it in purple?

I don't think there's room for purple.

modwright

« Reply #111 on: 30 Sep 2007, 09:17 pm »
Actually Alan, PETER is the one you want to talk to about that! ;).  He has a real flair with that color...

Thanks for the member that posted the stock transporter shots.  It makes it clear, the extent of work we have done to transform the unit.

Take care,

Dan

ted_b

• Volunteer
« Reply #112 on: 30 Sep 2007, 09:30 pm »
Thanks for the member that posted the stock transporter shots.  It makes it clear, the extent of work we have done to transform the unit.

Take care,

Dan
No problem Dan.  I only own every piece you've ever made, talk to you once a week, and am one of the first to get your Transporter here soon.   Ted....aka "the member".. :lol:

modwright

« Reply #113 on: 1 Oct 2007, 05:06 pm »
I hope that you know how much I appreciate your business and support Ted.  You will NOT be disappointed with this one...it exceeded my expectations!

Dan

jermmd

« Reply #114 on: 1 Oct 2007, 07:35 pm »
Will most people use the modded Transporter with or without a preamp? If using a preamp, why? Would you recommend attaching other sources digital outputs to the Transporter and using it as a DAC?

ted_b

• Volunteer
« Reply #115 on: 1 Oct 2007, 08:03 pm »
Although I will test the TP straight into my McCormack DNA-500 I have too mnay other sources to do without my Modwright LS36.5, and not the patience to rewire every time I listen to the preamp.  Also, even though the 2 channel tubed analog outputs of my Modwright 3910 sound sweet, I plan to send any 24/96 digital stuff to the Transporter because I think the AKM DACs are better and the tube stage is even more refined than the 3910.  I'll post when I get it here.

modwright

Transporter w/MWI Truth Mods at RMAF!
« Reply #116 on: 14 Oct 2007, 06:33 am »
Okay guys, we brought it along and I would love to hear from those who heard our modified Transporter in room 1010 at the show.  If you are attending, PLEASE STOP BY ON SUNDAY.

The results are a RESOUNDING success and everyone that has heard it has been extremely impressed.  We are VERY excited about this new product and I can safely say that it has VERY MUCH exceeded my expectations.  It is really only after using it here at RMAF in our system and watching people's reactions to the sound, that we have indeed hit a home run.  We ran the music from a hard drive on a laptop computer, wirelessly, via netgear router, to the Transporter.  All music was ripped to *.WAV files using EAC and I believe it is converted to FLAC via the Slimserver software.

I saw several $20K+ music servers at the show, but I feel quite confident in saying that an approximately $4K investment in Transporter and our mods will give you ALL the flexibility that you could possibly want and TRUE AUDIOPHILE CLASS A performance.  I will stop there and I hope that other 'Circle' members that are/were here will share their impressions of what they heard from the Transporter in our room.

Thanks and take care,

Dan W.

ted_b

• Volunteer
« Reply #117 on: 30 Oct 2007, 12:57 am »
Looky what showed up today in my music room!!! :thumb:

Sounds great already, and it's about 1 hour old.  I think I'm S/N #0003.    :)

sleepysurf

• Member of the Suncoast Audiophile Society
    • Suncoast Audiophile Society
« Reply #118 on: 30 Oct 2007, 01:00 am »
SHWEET!  Enjoy!

TomS

« Reply #119 on: 30 Oct 2007, 01:04 am »
Looky what showed up today in my music room!!! :thumb:

Sounds great already, and it's about 1 hour old.  I think I'm S/N #0003.    :)

Oh, Ted, that is WAY cool with that big heater sticking out of the roof!  Keep us posted.    I loved my 999ES Sig.  Can't imagine how nice that one sounds.  Tom