Does Anyone Remember EPI Speakers?

Airborn

Does Anyone Remember EPI Speakers?
« on: 18 May 2007, 06:03 pm »
I have a pair of 20+ year old Epicure/EPI Mangnus A1100 speakers that I bought new in 1986 for $300-$400.  They sat unused for years and the woofer surrounds disintegrated.  I recently had the woofers re-foamed and the crossovers checked and they now sound pretty good. :icon_surprised:  Does anyone remember these speakers and have any idea what they might be worth today?  I researched the web and found the "Human speakers" site by Huw Powell (a former EPI employee) which seems to have the most info. on these speakers, but since it doesn't appear they will have much resale value, I was thinking of using them in a secondary system and was wondering if anyone here had recommendations on which amp (vintage or new) might go best with these speakers?
« Last Edit: 18 May 2007, 09:11 pm by Airborn »

Joe_K

Re: Does Anyone Remember EPI Speakers?
« Reply #1 on: 18 May 2007, 08:05 pm »
Hi Airborn,
theclassicspeakerpages.net has an EPI forum, http://www.classicspeakerpages.net/dc/dcboard.php?az=show_topics&forum=7
You may find some info over there.
FYI,
Joe

Wayner

« Reply #2 on: 18 May 2007, 08:52 pm »
A friend of mine had a rather nice pair of EPI mini-towers, don't know the model. They could handle gobbs of power from his Crown DC300 amp and produced a nice lifelike, dynamic soundstage. A Friday night party during the winter and the furnace kicking in rendered the tweeters into Dr. Freeze. I remember the line having several bookshelf sizes as well. I thought some folks from Acoustic Research (AR) started the company but that's way too many years ago. Anyone else know who started EPI?

srclose

« Reply #3 on: 18 May 2007, 09:04 pm »
Don't remember the history, but worked in a stereo store for extra money in college for awhile, and picked up some EPI 601s that I kept for years.  Fried a woofer when they were new, it went off like a bomb and left a nice blast mark when I had a Phase Linear 400 maxed out playing Emerson Lake and Palmer. 

PhilNYC

« Reply #4 on: 18 May 2007, 09:05 pm »
The first pair of speakers I ever bought for myself were EPI T/E-100's...saved all summer during a summer job while in college for them... :thumb:

Airborn

« Reply #5 on: 18 May 2007, 09:17 pm »
Thanks, Joe_K.

Wayner, according to the link Joe_K supplied and the Human Speakers web site by Huw Powell, Winslow Burhoe started EPI.  http://www.humanspeakers.com/e/epistory.htm

oldtimer

• God gave us ears to Listen
« Reply #6 on: 18 May 2007, 10:52 pm »
I had a pair of EPI car speakers in the mid 80's. A 6"and 1" tweeter. They had the deepest bass of anything I have ever heard. The surrounds rotted in about 12 months, harsh aussie sun, I dont rmember what I did with them, but they were indeed a great speaker.

Nig.  :D

mfsoa

« Reply #7 on: 19 May 2007, 12:18 am »
My friend in high school had a big pair of EPIs - I think they had a pair of woofer/tweeters each.

But he used them in his VW Rabbit, taking up the whole back seat!

Ahh, those were the daze...