TVC
45 Set amp
Fostex 206 in a Mass Loaded Speaker box

Never had problems with dynamics or fire fights
I use this to watch the entire season of 4400 and battlestar galactica

anthony a.

Re: Promitheus DAC anyone?
« Reply #221 on: 22 Dec 2007, 06:34 pm »
sounds good.  i will put in my order in january and see how it goes.  thanks nick.

Milenko27

« Reply #222 on: 27 Dec 2007, 01:01 am »
I will also order a dac when January comes and another paycheck...
I can hardly wait  :drool:

Milenko27

« Reply #223 on: 8 Jan 2008, 04:30 pm »
Going to order one this saturday, but i have one question? does the unit come with a power cord or do i have to buy one myself?
I saw the recomandation of their own powercord, but it had a three pin wall socket, here in Norway we have two pin sockets?

posternutbag2000

« Reply #224 on: 8 Jan 2008, 07:17 pm »
Just thought I'd post after a bit of a revelation last night after listening to my promitheus DAC after a recent tweak....First off, I bought the DAC second-hand from AC or audiogon and received it back in December...In a head-to-head comparison with my modded Paradisea DAC, I preferred the sound of the stock Promitheus using either a Denon 2900 or SB3 as the source...In fact it was so night and day that I sold the Paradisea...My take:  better PRAT, impact, soul, body and less mush...I think the Paradisea through my SET system (Welborne Ultrapath-> DRD45 -> Bastani Prometheus OB speakers) was just too soft sounding and lacked any bite...

So, anyways, last night I installed a pair of the Burson discrete op-amps using a Hovland musicap (0.33uF) bypass cap and WOW!!!  Right off the bat without any real break-in, the sound was simply stunning...I could now hear the piano and guitar string decay...the notes seemed to hang in the air alot longer...I could wax poetic for awhile about how impressive the sound was...I cant say enough about giving these inexpensive circuits  (~$100USD) a try in your DAC...Nick deserves much props for putting in the DIP sockets to enable very simple op-amp changes...

I think I'm gonna leave well enough alone for awhile and focus on improving my SB3 as I still prefer CDs over streamed FLACs...

Cheers everyone and happy 2008!!

spwal

« Reply #225 on: 9 Jan 2008, 03:39 am »
where is jb? i want to know what he has built. he blocks pms.

jb, here me now and contact me...

analogmart

« Reply #226 on: 9 Jan 2008, 04:02 am »
Hi, posternutbag2000
Where did you put bypass cap in the dac?
My Burson is coming on the way, it will replace BB627AP.
Cheers,  :D
Mart

tanchiro58

« Reply #227 on: 9 Jan 2008, 05:49 am »
Hi, posternutbag2000
Where did you put bypass cap in the dac?
My Burson is coming on the way, it will replace BB627AP.
Cheers,  :D
Mart

Here is the link of how to install the Burson Discrete Opamps with bypass caps:

http://www.bursonaudio.com/Burson_Discrete_Opamp_101.htm

It had a stunning sound too in my Promitheus DAC after replacing the NE5534 opamps with Burson Discrete Opamps.

Good luck,

posternutbag2000

« Reply #228 on: 9 Jan 2008, 06:35 pm »
Like Tan said (and thanks for the recommendation of the Burson discrete op-amps :thumb:), I installed the bypass caps as Burson indicated in their 101 op-amp tutorial...basically for the single version which I used, it was across pins 4 and 7 on the op-amps...a bit tough to solder with the large leads on the Hovland caps but in the end got it to work fine...

Still breaking in but pretty killer, imo...

ymmv... :P :P

Milenko27

« Reply #229 on: 11 Jan 2008, 06:18 am »
Dac ordered  :D, i guess now it is only to wait.

Milenko27

« Reply #230 on: 15 Jan 2008, 01:02 am »
Do you need to know how to solder to be able to switch op-amps?
Have anyone tried different types and what do you think of them?
Been reading about the Burson op-amps, sounds great, but looks difficult, how do you get the ground, do you solder it to the rca outputs?
Again with the questions....
Best regards
Svein from Norway

posternutbag2000

« Reply #231 on: 15 Jan 2008, 06:18 pm »
For your basic op-amp swap, you do not need to solder as Nick provided the simple plug-and-play 8 pin sockets...for the Burson discrete op-amp change, you do need to solder but its a fairly painless procedure if you just want to swap out the op-amps as all you'll need to do is solder the ground wire from the bursons to the RCA output or a similar grounding spot (I used the transformer lead which is connected to the RCA ground)...Burson also recommends as an improvement installing a capacitor (0.1 - 1uF) across two of the Op-amp pins which is bit more difficult but not too hard....

Hope this helps and if you need further help let me know...

anyone else tried any other op-amps?

Milenko27

« Reply #232 on: 15 Jan 2008, 09:34 pm »
Hello, and thank you very much for the quick response. My dac is being built now, so it will take some time, will let it burn in before i try alternative op-amps, and will write back on this forum when it is time to take the next step. It is really great to read about all the satisfied customers when i finally made up my mind of which dac to buy, and that it is so easy to tweak....
I am really looking forward to get the dac in my own house and sitback and relax :D
Best regards
Svein.

analogmart

« Reply #233 on: 16 Jan 2008, 03:38 am »
Hi Prom DAC Lover,
If you do not plan to buy Burson discrete op-amp, BB627AP is good enough to replace stock unit.
The sound is more refined and detailed, and more punchy bass too.   

The price of some highend Op-amp is too high for me, which in this case, I better buy Burson instead.

BTW, I still could not compare the sound b/w BB and Burson because my digital receiver CS8414 is dead, my bad :duh:

PromitheusAudio

• Promitheusaudio
« Reply #234 on: 16 Jan 2008, 12:18 pm »
If more people like the opa627 i can get them and install them for you as an option

I myself do not seem to like the opa627 sonic character and prefer the stock Op-amp. I tried most of the other op-amps and never like them
Perhaps the burson would be much better

tanchiro58

« Reply #235 on: 16 Jan 2008, 08:04 pm »
Perhaps the burson would be much better

Yes that is true the Burson Discrete Opamps sound way better than the stock opamps IMO. I should say the pair of single Burson opamps sound very neutral with lots of details and it is everything that stated in the Burson website.  :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Why do I have to spend money to try out another opamps for? Once again it depends on your sonic tastes.
« Last Edit: 19 Jan 2008, 08:07 am by tanchiro58 »

highdfever

« Reply #236 on: 26 Jan 2008, 04:39 pm »
Hi Tan,

Where did u connect the ground wire to? Did you solder any by-pass cap in the Burson Discrete Opamps? It mentioned that the cap between Pin4 & 7 of the opamp, any marks/indications of the pins in the opamp and what about the polarity of the cap ?

Besides the details,  any other major improvement after opamp changed?

B. Rgds
Andis

tanchiro58

« Reply #237 on: 26 Jan 2008, 07:33 pm »
Hi Tan,

Where did u connect the ground wire to? Did you solder any by-pass cap in the Burson Discrete Opamps? It mentioned that the cap between Pin4 & 7 of the opamp, any marks/indications of the pins in the opamp and what about the polarity of the cap ?

Besides the details,  any other major improvement after opamp changed?

B. Rgds
Andis

Andis,

If you look closer to the above picture you will see the two "black wires" going from the Burson Opamps to the screw at the main power tranny where there is a ground wire located.

I use Wima film caps to bypass at pin4 to pin7. As you know film caps are not polarized so you do not worry about doing wrong. However, choose a smaller caps is best way to do. Good luck.

Here is another picture showing the two square blue green caps.

There is a big improvement over the stock opamps in sonic exactly what Burson website described.

Tan
« Last Edit: 26 Jan 2008, 11:26 pm by tanchiro58 »

highdfever

« Reply #238 on: 29 Jan 2008, 10:43 am »
Tks Tan,

I think I will order this opamp,  should I just mention to Burson that I need a pair of single opamp to replace NE5534?  I found the price is around AU$100 for the single opamp,  is it correct?

Cheers
Andis

tanchiro58

« Reply #239 on: 29 Jan 2008, 10:56 am »
Tks Tan,

I think I will order this opamp,  should I just mention to Burson that I need a pair of single opamp to replace NE5534?  I found the price is around AU$100 for the single opamp,  is it correct?

Cheers
Andis

Here is the link

http://www.bursonaudio.com/Burson_HDAM_Module.htm

And the price: if you buy directly from Burson I guess a pair of single opamp costs AU$85 which replaces your NE5534s

http://www.bursonaudio.com/Sales.htm

After installing the Burson Opamps you can not put back the lid or cover of the DAC unless you manage to bend the Burson opamps. Good luck.

Tan