Bolder SB3 Digital Mods and Digital Isolation Xfmer

krikor

• Initiative comes to those who wait.
    • AudioSnoop.com
Bolder SB3 Digital Mods and Digital Isolation Xfmer
« on: 10 May 2007, 08:56 pm »
Just wondering if anyone has tried the Bolder Digital Mods for the SB3 in conjunction with a digital isolation transformer (like Scientific Conversions SC947-02 ... see the group buy thread over at The Lab).

I've got one of these transformers and I am thinking of trying it along with the Bolder digital mods... are the two compatible with the way in which the digital output is "rerouted"?

Thanks.

Wayne1

Re: Bolder SB3 Digital Mods and Digital Isolation Xfmer
« Reply #1 on: 23 May 2007, 08:06 pm »
I just finished restoring rajacat's SB3 to life. He had a very nasty power spike through it that took out a lot of the DC line protection.

He also sent me a SC transformer to install in the digital line. I just did that and compared it to two other modded SBs that I have on hand.

First off, the SB is compatible with the digital mods. If you have the Full mods, as did Rajacat, there is not a lot of room left to work with to install the transformer.  With the digital only mods, there is a bit more room, but it is still very tight.

I did run a ceramic cap from the shield on the transformer to ground for isolation.

I compared Rajacat's modded SB3 with transformer to a prototype "Statement" SB3 (most of the work on this one has gone into the analog section) and a modded SB2 with a copper Bybee Purifier in the digital output. All three were run off an Ultimate PS into a BOLDER digital cable into a Monica 2 DAC run off a SLA battery.

The transformer coupled digital output seem to be a bit "quicker" than the straight digital mod. In listening to Ahmad Jamal's "Ruby" the acoustic bass fingering was clearer. With the straight digital out, it was a bit "boomy". In it's defense, the "Statement" SB3 is still breaking in. Some of the "boom" could be attributed to many BlackGate caps that have only about a week of use on them.

In comparing the digital out from both of the units to the analog sections, the digital (at least through the Monica 2 DAC) did not have much in the way of extended highs or really sharp attack and transients. Bass was not as extended or as tight.

When I put in the SB2 with a Bybee Purifier, it was a lot closer to the sound of the analog section. The upper midrange was clearer, highs were extended and the bass was deep and clear.

In this comparison, to me, while the transformer may help with some isolation, it is not as dramatic a difference as using a Bybee Purifier in the digital line.

This comparison was NOT an apples to apples one. I did not have two units with the exact same mods done to them that were fully broken in. The differences between the "Statement" SB3 and the transformer coupled SB3 could be attributed to the new caps in the internal power supply.

The SB2 has been used for about a year and a half and is fully broken in. It also has a Silver WBT digital output jack vs the copper/gold on the other two.

While not a careful, DBT, everything exactly the same except for one difference, comparison, I thought this information may prove worthwhile to some.

This was the only time I could do this comparison. Rajacat's unit is going back to him this week.

tanchiro58

« Reply #2 on: 23 May 2007, 09:03 pm »
Wayne,

It is a good comparison of different types of modifications. But in my opinion the comparison is NOT ONLY based on one system and your own ears but ALSO other different synergistic systems with their owner's ears.

Wayne1

« Reply #3 on: 23 May 2007, 09:17 pm »
ABSOLUTELY!!!

I am offering this comparison up as just one data point.

Everyone has a different system and different tastes in how they want to hear their music presented.

I wish I could keep Rajacat's SB3 a little longer so I could compare it to other gear in other systems with other listeners, to get a wider opinion.

He has been without his SB for a couple of weeks now and he told me he is having severe withdrawal symptoms   :wink:

rajacat

• Washington State
« Reply #4 on: 23 May 2007, 10:01 pm »
ABSOLUTELY!!!

Everyone has a different system and different tastes in how they want to hear their music presented.

I wish I could keep Rajacat's SB3 a little longer so I could compare it to other gear in other systems with other listeners, to get a wider opinion.

He has been without his SB for a couple of weeks now and he told me he is having severe withdrawal symptoms   :wink:

Wayne,

Go ahead and keep my SB3 a little longer if you have some other comparisons close at hand. I'll make this sacrifice to help in the quest for audio perfection. :roll:  I will deal with Sqeezebox withdrawals by other methods. :) :beer:

Raj

Wayne1

« Reply #5 on: 23 May 2007, 10:33 pm »
ABSOLUTELY!!!

Wayne,

Go ahead and keep my SB3 a little longer if you have some other comparisons close at hand. I'll make this sacrifice to help in the quest for audio perfection. :roll:  I will deal with Sqeezebox withdrawals by other methods. :) :beer:

Raj

Too late.

I dropped it off at the Post Office about half an hour ago.

You should get it back early next week.

rajacat

• Washington State
« Reply #6 on: 23 May 2007, 10:44 pm »
Well....my attempt at audio martyrdom was in vain. It will certainly nice to have my sweet squeeze back. :thumb:

jrebman

« Reply #7 on: 2 Jun 2007, 08:29 pm »
Wayne,

When I send you my SB and bigfish's Elpac this week, I'll include a small poly bag with 3 of these SC pulse transformers in it.  I bought these thinking they would be about the size of an IF transformer in an old AM transistor radio -- something I at least have a fighting chance of soldering -- I didn't realize wit would be like soldering a ladybug to a board by it's legs :-). Then you'll at least have a few to play around with -- on both ends of the equation.

-- Jim