XBL Open Baffle 2 and 3

RAW

XBL Open Baffle 2 and 3
« on: 6 May 2007, 07:49 pm »
Well these small and I mean small OB2X using the M130X (XBL^) drivers are only 8" wide 6.5" deep and 40" tall.
Thew drivers will be the M-130X as a mid range as well as a forward firing woofer.

The larger of the 2 is the OB3X with uses a M-130X as a mid and the M-165X side firing as a woofer.
8" wide 12" deep and 40": tall

Yes both will be 3 way designs with a our RA104.5 ribbon tweeter.

Crossover design we have Danny doing the crossover design for them as this test pairs not fully finished as theyare just boxes are now in transit to GR.

« Last Edit: 8 Jun 2007, 07:34 pm by RAW »

AdamM

• Robotbreeder.com
Interesting!
« Reply #1 on: 7 May 2007, 10:09 am »
Wow Al, very cool!

So, what were your goals for this speaker?  What do you think the strengths are for this design?  The drawbacks?

Interesting to see the serious plywood used. I can imagine them looking very beautiful with the right stain.

Trafford

Re: XBL Open Baffle 2 and 3
« Reply #2 on: 9 May 2007, 04:00 pm »
Will these be available as kits? When can we expect to see them on your site? Will there be any other goodies available using the M-165x woofer? Can you give us some idea how low they can go?

Thanks

RAW

« Reply #3 on: 9 May 2007, 05:06 pm »
Thanks Adam.

Design for the XBLO2 was for a small open baffle 8ohm speaker with the M-130X drivers and in order to get this design we needed to use the M-130X driver as both the mid and woofer, this also allows us to keep the 8" wide baffle.If we used the M-165X on the fron the baffle can stay at 8" width but the corners can not be radiused due to the size of the M-165X driver frame.

This is why we used the M-165X side firing in the XBLO3 design.

How low they will go we will wait and see in the next few weeks we will have some info from Danny I have a good idea already :idea:

The smaller of the 2 is just a stunning design for how simple it is to build.You can stand a pair of them beside the XBLO3 for the similar depth :lol:

Anything else coming.
Well a RA6, plus a RAV3S

RAW

« Reply #4 on: 9 May 2007, 05:55 pm »
Missed the question.
Will these be available as kits.
Yes the XBLO2 and XBLO3 will be available as kits with crossover options similar to other kits we have.

wendell

« Reply #5 on: 9 May 2007, 10:20 pm »
Really interesting aa  How much are the kits going to cost?  Will baff
les be available?

RAW

« Reply #6 on: 10 May 2007, 02:22 am »
Cost for the 2 kits we will know in a few weeks once the crossovers are done aa

As for baffles we may look into them.This will all depends on the demand for any CNC baffles.
Really nothing tricky, the ribbon looks hard but you cut a regular round ID then use a rabbet bit for the OD.Last position the tweeter in place and mark the square edges with a pencil.
Cut with a jig saw. And you have the tweeter holes finished.
Save cutting the ribbon square edges till after you veneer for easy of trimming the veneer.

We have lots of baffles made now for other kits we have ,but you never know what we may add.

RAW

« Reply #7 on: 11 May 2007, 06:20 pm »

Here is the final test cabinets for the OB2X wired and ready for the crossover design stage.

These OB2X sure are small aa

The pair of the OB2X positioned beside a single OB3X (which uses a side firing M-165X driver)
This shows the volume needed for the M-165X driver.

« Last Edit: 8 Jun 2007, 07:35 pm by RAW »

klh

« Reply #8 on: 2 Jun 2007, 08:29 pm »
Hey Al...

How are these coming along?

I was just thinking... if one had a front projector and wanted to put a center channel speaker below the screen (and had the room), I presume it would be easy enough to do a XBLO2 kit with the cabinet depth of the XBLO3. That would obviously require the enclosure to be shorter to maintain the same overall internal volume, which would also make it easier to fit the speaker below the screen. Since the cabinet width would be the same, I don't think it would cause a problem... what do you think? It would look pretty cool to have a shorty XBLO2 flanked by two XBLO3's. It would look pretty sharp, too, since they'd all have the same depth. One could aslo put a few normal height XBLO2's in the back for some seriously eveloping sound.

klh

« Reply #9 on: 8 Jun 2007, 07:00 pm »
Al...

I have another question. If one isn't concerned about the rollover, could one mount the 165X in the XBLO3 on the front and in the same location as the 130X is mounted in the XBLO2 (in other words, would doing that require a modification to the crossover)? If it's not possible, could one get the XBLO2 grills on the XBLO3 so the look is consistent will all three speakers up front? I really like the idea of having a shorty XBLO2 flanked by two XBLO3s.

Daygloworange

• Industry Participant
  • www.customconcepts.ca
« Reply #10 on: 8 Jun 2007, 07:22 pm »

Danny just finished the crossover in the XBL02, and apparently it smokes! He says the midrange is really, really, killer good.

Nice!

Cheers

RAW

« Reply #11 on: 8 Jun 2007, 07:26 pm »
Yes you can adjust the box of the lower woofer as long as the spacing stays the same for all the drivers.

Hey Al...

I was just thinking... if one had a front projector and wanted to put a center channel speaker below the screen (and had the room), I presume it would be easy enough to do a XBLO2 kit with the cabinet depth of the XBLO3. That would obviously require the enclosure to be shorter to maintain the same overall internal volume, which would also make it easier to fit the speaker below the screen. Since the cabinet width would be the same, I don't think it would cause a problem... what do you think? It would look pretty cool to have a shorty XBLO2 flanked by two XBLO3's. It would look pretty sharp, too, since they'd all have the same depth. One could aslo put a few normal height XBLO2's in the back for some seriously eveloping sound.

RAW

« Reply #12 on: 8 Jun 2007, 07:31 pm »
As I made comment above , we will not have baffles or grills for these open baffle designs.
Really they are a simple design box.No open bottom to make just a cabinet for the lower woofer.

Now the names.
XBLO2 now OB2X
XBLO3 now OB3X

The OB3X can not have the woofer moved to the front in this design as of now it is in the works and may work better on the front but till the design is finished we will hold comments.

But the OB2 (XBLO2) design is finished and all the measurements we will have in the next day and a kit will be ready by Monday.

Al...

I have another question. If one isn't concerned about the rollover, could one mount the 165X in the XBLO3 on the front and in the same location as the 130X is mounted in the XBLO2 (in other words, would doing that require a modification to the crossover)? If it's not possible, could one get the XBLO2 grills on the XBLO3 so the look is consistent will all three speakers up front? I really like the idea of having a shorty XBLO2 flanked by two XBLO3s.

klh

« Reply #13 on: 8 Jun 2007, 11:44 pm »
Great... thanks for the response... both of you!

It will be interesting to see how these turn out. It will also be interesting to read about or see a comparison to Danny's old OB5 and new OB7. Obviously the tweeter is different, but besides that and aside from cost, I would assume the main differences will be efficiency to a large degree and distortion to a lesser degree.

Will the OB2X an OB3X (when accompanied by a good subwoofer) be able to handle the dynamics involved with current movies in a home theater? Having a 7.1 or 5.1 setup of the OB3X's as L&R, a shorty OB2X for center and 2 or 4 OB2X's as rears would be pretty impressive.

RAW

« Reply #14 on: 9 Jun 2007, 12:21 am »
Well the measurements will be up in a few hrs. :thumb:
Just getting them all loaded now as well as the kit costs.

Some words to describe the OB2X and OB3X from the Danny of GR"
these things have mids that make my eyes tear" :thumb:
Over all stronger ,cleaner mid than the OB5,OB7 and LS just with less impact from more drivers.

That says a lot for a small speaker.

Yes the OB2X will match with a sub

As far as the tuning.
Yes the OB3X will not need a sub and the room loading is very very good with the side firing M-165X

Now a hint
The first 10 kit orders of the OB2X will recieve pre cut flat pack cabinets (needing assembly and finish) for the cost of  !!

Well you will have to wait and see :green:

IronForge

« Reply #15 on: 9 Jun 2007, 03:37 am »
Will the OB2X an OB3X (when accompanied by a good subwoofer) be able to handle the dynamics involved with current movies in a home theater? Having a 7.1 or 5.1 setup of the OB3X's as L&R, a shorty OB2X for center and 2 or 4 OB2X's as rears would be pretty impressive.

I am also interested in how these will hold up with movies/home theater.

RAW

« Reply #16 on: 9 Jun 2007, 03:59 am »
No issue at all they were tested with a pair of Dodd 120's and had no issues with them at all.

As far as HT use a great small 3way with clean upper mids and tight mid lows.Just need a sub for the OB2X

Were the OB3X will need a sub that can play below 35hz

Daygloworange

• Industry Participant
  • www.customconcepts.ca
« Reply #17 on: 9 Jun 2007, 10:51 pm »

Some words to describe the OB2X and OB3X from the Danny of GR"
these things have mids that make my eyes tear" :thumb:
Over all stronger ,cleaner mid than the OB5,OB7 and LS just with less impact from more drivers.

Aww man, a speaker that's gonna make me cry everytime I listen to it??  :bawl:

Ok. Now that might actually make me a little weepy...  :cry:

Cheers  :lol: