Possible to configure a source analog input to use for back surrounds on SP's?

lossless

Dear Bryston,

Considering that there is only a set of 5.1 analog inputs on the SP1/1.7/2, would it be possible to use say for example the tape or VCR left and right inputs so that the full 6/7.1 analog inputs are available?  You could have it in the menu structure the same way that one configures the optical one and two inputs and then if one has 5.1 bypass selected, the SP would have the additional two back channels available.

Thanks,
l

lossless

The lack of response speaks volumes.  I now realize that it is impossible to get 7 or 8 channels of lossless audio into the SP1.7/2.  I'll have to start looking for other alternatives in a pre/pro.

thanks,
l

jethro

lossless:

I can't help you with the extra two inputs but I was wondering what you are using
to feed the SP-1.7 and what kind of material are you using ?

--Steve

Phil A

That's the reason we've been bugging James Tanner about the HDMI input which he responded to in another thread.  If you're using analog input anyway you're going thru an extra conversion process and stuck with the bass management in the player.

lossless

lossless:

I can't help you with the extra two inputs but I was wondering what you are using
to feed the SP-1.7 and what kind of material are you using ?

--Steve

Hi Steve,

I am using a Panasonic DMP-BD10 Blu-ray player that is equipped with 7.1 analog outs.  There is already quite a few 6.1 releases on Blu-ray, some of which are 6.1 PCM lossless and others that are 6.1 DTS-HD HR both of which the Panasonic can fully decode internally and pass over the analog outputs.  I also have a Toshiba HD-XA2, but because my 1.7 only has the one set of 5.1 inputs, is connected using a co-axial digital cable.  I might check out the Zektor as an analog audio switcher as Phil suggested to get me by on that issue for now.

I was kind of hoping that the 1.7 could be configured in a way I suggested with possibly just a firmware update and would not be that difficult for Bryston to do.  It would just be re-routing the source analog inputs to use as back surrounds, but by the looks of things the architecture in the 1.7 does not allow that.

Thanks,
l