R-DES for floorstanders?

barend

R-DES for floorstanders?
« on: 6 May 2007, 11:57 am »
Hi all,
My two Force XL's, sitting in the corners behind me, which produced the flattest results, perform beautifully and blend in quite well with my Linn Akkurates.
My room has a very nasty bump  mode around 96 Hz originating from the fronts.
I can't set the crossover high enough because of directivity issues.
My question- will R-DES be detrimental to the sound if I connect it for use on the Akkurate's bass channel?
This runs to 400Hz.
I have tried Behringer's DEQ2496 and it does tame the room mode, but it takes the life and clarity from the speakers.
This is probably because of the extra AD and DA converters, and its not exactly highend nature.
Should I expect the same from the R-DES unit?
What is the frequency range of the R-DES unit?
What about the two channels, can they be set individually?

PLMONROE

Re: R-DES for floorstanders?
« Reply #1 on: 6 May 2007, 03:36 pm »
I have tried Behringer's DEQ2496 and it does tame the room mode, but it takes the life and clarity from the speakers.
This is probably because of the extra AD and DA converters, and its not exactly highend nature.

I also have both the DEQX2496 and the R-DES and find that out of the box neither is more "highend" than the other. So I suspect that if you find a dulling with one you will also experience about the same with the other. That said, I am nearly overwhelmed with the capabilities of the Berringer. There are couple of companies who will mod the unit so it will be spectacularly better,  however there is no free lunch!  :nono: The mods will cost thee to four times the cost of the basic unit. I think the increased performance is a good value for the money --  however you may or may not.
« Last Edit: 6 May 2007, 03:53 pm by PLMONROE »

barend

« Reply #2 on: 8 May 2007, 08:40 am »
Thanks!
When I still had KEF speakers the DEQ2496 performed OK.
Since I bought these Linn Akkurate 242 active floorstanders, the sound improvement was spectacular: clarity, depth, height and width.
So I A/B'ed with/without the Behringer and I found most of the described improvements were gone, giving the soiund a slightly mushy character- and the treble sparkle had disappeared.
AD converters like a very high input, nowhere near the level my preamp feeds them: they're made for stage applications- a steady 0 dB.
I only see the first LED flickering - sometimes.
That can't be good...
Also, the DEQ is a bit hissy...
So I'm  still stuck with this evil bump...

PLMONROE

« Reply #3 on: 8 May 2007, 01:11 pm »
Another solution would be to watch Audogon for a good buy on a used TacT or DEQX. Also you could try a high quality analog equalizer if you don't need to make too many corrections.

barend

« Reply #4 on: 9 May 2007, 09:49 am »
Another solution would be to watch Audogon for a good buy on a used TacT or DEQX. Also you could try a high quality analog equalizer if you don't need to make too many corrections.

Which analog EQ's can you recommend?

PLMONROE

« Reply #5 on: 11 May 2007, 03:47 am »
Technics used to have one that didn't sound too bad. You can still find one from time to time on Audiogon and on Ebay