Anyone here has the original Le Amp ?.

gonefishin

« Reply #20 on: 6 Aug 2003, 07:27 pm »
hmmm...dang.  You guys do need to lighten up a bit :bomb:

jones...ya, I've got an original LeAmp also.  It's a nice little amp for a decent price (I did get mine used)  What speakers do you have?  How big is your room?

later>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

jones rush

« Reply #21 on: 6 Aug 2003, 08:00 pm »
gonefishin, another member from the old Audioreview.com gang. Maybe you can help me, do you remember the name of the bar that we used to hang around from time to time at Audioreview.com. I can't remember the name!...

I have the 9.0's and my room is small with no openings. I also have a sealed 85L DIY Shiva sub, for flat frequency response down to 17hz, even though I don't really need it, with most type of music.

Currently my amp is "Carver Magnetic Field Power Amplifier". It's suppose to be the first receiver Carver has ever done. The build quality is very good, not like todays amps. It's a 170WX2 (I think). I know that it's good, I just hope it's not too good. I want a big improvement with the Le Amp 2.

Does anyone here have any experience with Carver amps ?.

Xi-Trum

« Reply #22 on: 6 Aug 2003, 08:04 pm »
Ok, here ya go again... :-)

If you want to know how the Le Amp sounds with the 9.0, see if you can "borrow" an Ayre V5 to drive the 9.0.  The sound is 99% similar, i.e. a casual listener wouldn't be able to tell the difference.

Marbles

Pogue and Bone
« Reply #23 on: 6 Aug 2003, 08:05 pm »
The name of the bar was the P&B for Pogue and Bone

jones rush

« Reply #24 on: 6 Aug 2003, 08:07 pm »
Quote from: Xi-Trum
Ok, here ya go again... :-)

If you want to know how the Le Amp sounds with the 9.0, see if you can "borrow" an Ayre V5 to drive the 9.0.  The sound is 99% similar, i.e. a casual listener wouldn't be able to tell the difference.

What is the Ayre V5 ?, how much does it cost ?, is it a monoblock ?, what did Namphung had to say about it ?.

jones rush

Re: Pogue and Bone
« Reply #25 on: 6 Aug 2003, 08:09 pm »
Quote from: Marbles
The name of the bar was the P&B for Pogue and Bone

That's it! the P&B!  :lol:  
Where are Pogue and Bone today ?.
Btw, do you know if Over70 (the retired tv engineer) is still alive ?, I really liked that guy, he always had such a down to earth perspective about everything. Really knew how to cool things out.

MaxCast

« Reply #26 on: 6 Aug 2003, 08:34 pm »
I believe Over50 (if that is who you were refering to) was in Canada still working.  Woodman was the TV guru.

jones rush

« Reply #27 on: 6 Aug 2003, 08:42 pm »
Quote from: MaxCast
I believe Over50 (if that is who you were refering to) was in Canada still working.  Woodman was the TV guru.

Perhaps I got mixed up a bit. Funny, two years ago I perceived guys who are over 50, as I perceive guys who are over 70 today. Man, I'm aging!.

MaxCast, I don't remember you though... Is my memory failing ?.

Jay S

« Reply #28 on: 7 Aug 2003, 01:29 am »
Ya know, I really don't think jones rush is SOM.  

Welcome, jones.  Please let us know what you think of your Shiva based sub and how it integrates with the 9.0.  I am guessing you run the 9.0 full range.  Do you feel the sub is as "quick" as the 9.0 or is there a quality mismatch?

Marbles

« Reply #29 on: 7 Aug 2003, 02:25 am »
Quote from: Jay S
Ya know, I really don't think jones rush is SOM.  

I'm sure he is not, but it doesn't make him any more likeable......

jones rush

« Reply #30 on: 7 Aug 2003, 02:24 pm »
Quote from: Jay S
Please let us know what you think of your Shiva based sub and how it integrates with the 9.0.  I am guessing you run the 9.0 full range.  Do you feel the sub is as "quick" as the 9.0 or is there a quality mismatch?

Jay, my DIY sub is definitely not a mismatch for the quick 9.0's, but I believe that the main reason for this, is not the 12" Shiva driver (which is good, don't get me wrong) but much more because I went with a sealed design with a low Q.

Two years ago, when I've built it, I've also tested the Shiva in some ported designs, but felt that these designs weren't quick and accurate enough to give me a good integration with the 9.0's. They simply muddied the 9.0's, and I hated it. In this respect, a sealed design with a good driver can make a world of a difference.

OTOH, with a sealed design, you lose a lot of SPL's in comparison to the ported design. But since I have a small room, I went sealed without even thinking twice.

Up until now, I used the 9.0's crossed at 80hz, with the sub taking charge of the whole bottom end below that. The reason is that I have a small room, and below 80hz, the frequency response in my room is hellish, and since I couldn't correct the freq response of my 9.0's, I simply didn't let them play below 80hz.

I used a BFD parametric eq to correct the sub below 80hz for the listening position, and got very good results. I couldn't use the BFD for the 9.0's since it does AD/DA which can be heard at higher frequncies, but not at the lowest bottom end.

Today, I use my HTPC as a source for the sound system. I use a digital room correction experimental software, which let me correct the freq response of the 9.0's at the listening spot (without additional AD/DA).
This means I can try to use the 9.0's as "large", and use the Shiva only for ~40hz and below. And by this get an even more seamless integration between the sub and mains. This is what I'm currently trying to do.

thepogue

did i hear P&B???
« Reply #31 on: 8 Aug 2003, 05:34 pm »
yummy drink time!!! lol

Last I've seen me ole brudda Bone (via email) was a few months back. He was well but some big changes happin' in his home so no time ta get on-line! But he assured be alls well wiff the Big Dog so we'll leave it at that. As fer me....buzy as a one armed paper hanger. I spend almost no time @ AR and more and more time here for good reason. I just ordered 4 Le Amps which I'll run with me Para-100's. I'll also sell a couple of Carver amps just to keep me head above water.

Nice ta see ya'll and I'll be here and there...

Peace, Pogue