Using GK-1 Sub-out with an active speaker!! :-))

andyr

Using GK-1 Sub-out with an active speaker!! :-))
« on: 25 Apr 2007, 12:43 pm »
I have recently modified my 3-way active Maggie XOs to use my GK-1 "Sub Out" to drive the bass panels.  The difference is unf'ing-believable!!   :D   :D

So marcus, PSP et al ... this is a "must do" mod to your Orion active XOs!!  :-))

However, one little tweak that I suggest you need to implement is as follows:

* I asked Hugh whether the GK-1 Sub Out - coming off the pot wiper as it does - would be able to drive 11m long ICs.  This is unfortunately a "feature" of my listening room and the "Tube Out" is able to deal with this.

* Hugh said "No ... you need a buffer stage on "Sub Out" to do this".

* So I implemented a unity-gain, op-amp buffer on the Sub Out.

* This seems to have an unexpected - and very welcome - side benefit ... not only is it able to drive long ICs but it produces more bass from the Sub Out!!  :o   :D

So all you AKSA active speaker guys ... make sure you feed your bass drivers from the GK-1 Sub Out - and install an output buffer!  :D

Regards,

Andy

rabbitz

Re: Using GK-1 Sub-out with an active speaker!! :-))
« Reply #1 on: 25 Apr 2007, 02:24 pm »
Discovered that in 2005 as I preferred the bass not going through tubes. The SS section kicks arse on bass.

andyr

« Reply #2 on: 26 Apr 2007, 10:32 am »
Discovered that in 2005 as I preferred the bass not going through tubes. The SS section kicks arse on bass.

But it kicks even more bass if you have a Sub Out buffer!  :o

Regards,

Andy

rabbitz

« Reply #3 on: 26 Apr 2007, 11:10 am »
Very true.

AKSA

« Reply #4 on: 26 Apr 2007, 11:28 am »
Thanks Andy, Peter,

Andy's system sounds absolutely sublime, it's so well set up you can scarcely tell he hasn't yet got the Lifeforce modules!

Thank you for your hospitality yesterday, Andy, greatly enjoyed.

Cheers,

Hugh

andyr

« Reply #5 on: 26 Apr 2007, 12:15 pm »
Thanks Andy, Peter,

Andy's system sounds absolutely sublime, it's so well set up you can scarcely tell he hasn't yet got the Lifeforce modules!

Thank you for your hospitality yesterday, Andy, greatly enjoyed.

Cheers,

Hugh

Thanks, Hugh ... a pleasure as always!  :D  Lifeforces will be in place during 2007!  :D

And all you LP12 owners out there ... my vinyl sounds so good because of my new CF-composite sub-chassis and armboard!  :o  Feel free to contact me for further details!  :D

Regards,

Andy

ginger

« Reply #6 on: 27 Apr 2007, 12:20 am »
Andy,
What Op-amp did you use as the buffer?
The nice trick device that Hugh uses for the Phono Amp in the GK-1 or something else?
I've been using the cheap but stunning Burr Brown OPA2134 of late and am very happy with results.
Cheers,
Ian

andyr

« Reply #7 on: 27 Apr 2007, 02:40 am »
Andy,
What Op-amp did you use as the buffer?
The nice trick device that Hugh uses for the Phono Amp in the GK-1 or something else?
I've been using the cheap but stunning Burr Brown OPA2134 of late and am very happy with results.
Cheers,
Ian
Hi ginger (haven't heard from you for a while!  :D ),

No I didn't use Hugh's opamp (coz I didn't know what it was, as he carefully erases the product code printed on the casing!  :D ).  I used the AD826 on the basis of the recommendation by Dejan (DVV?) on his web-site.  I have no idea how it sounds relative to the OPA2134 but I know from using it in my Maggie active XOs that it a) sounds good overall and b) does not suffer from lack of good bass, like some opamps are reputed to do.

Regards,

Andy