Further listening & apology...

smithy666

Further listening & apology...
« on: 24 Apr 2007, 10:56 pm »
It has been four months since my 1801s were finished so they are well and truly broken in. Up until a couple of days ago I thought they lacked something - sort of a bit thin and the bass still didn't seem to extend as low as I thought it should until.....I realised my battery powered preamp had the same NiMH batteries that I had installed 8 years ago. I had noticed recently that they were running flat sooner than previously, so I thought maybe it is time to replace them.
Wow, what a difference that made. I couldn't believe how significant the change was. The old ones were only 1100mAh (they were the best at the time) and the new ones are low impedance 2700mAh.
Now the bass on the 1801s is what I thought is should always have been, the mids and highs are so much more dynamic and precise. So I must apologise to Dave - while I thought previously the 1801s were good, they are now fantastic. Last night I just couldn't believe my ears and I almost cried thinking about what I had been missing for the past 4 months...
Enough ranting. These really are very good speakers. I would strongly encourage anyone thinking of puchasing to go and have a listen to them on a good system (and if any part of the system runs on batteries, replace them now...)

Sorry guys - no valves here, but a pair of Stochinno ultra fast s/s amps
« Last Edit: 24 Apr 2007, 11:35 pm by smithy666 »

David Ellis

• http://www.ellisaudio.com
Re: Further listening & apology...
« Reply #1 on: 26 Apr 2007, 10:33 am »
I am glad you found the gremlin in your system  :) aa !!