AKSA 55 T4

stvnharr

AKSA 55 T4
« on: 3 Aug 2003, 12:17 am »
During construction of my newest Aksa baby, I somehow managed to break one of the leads on a T4 transistor.    Does anyone know of an American supplier that will sell a couple BD139's?    I think Mouser will sell 2000 minimum.
Does anyone know of a suitable replacement that I might be able to get from Allied?

Regis B

AKSA 55 T4
« Reply #1 on: 3 Aug 2003, 12:34 am »
Try newark.

AKSA

AKSA 55 T4
« Reply #2 on: 3 Aug 2003, 01:58 am »
Hi Steven,

:bawl:   Tricky business, soldering those little leads.  I have a technique, but it took a while to develop it.  Pre-bending then tinning each lead first is a big help, as it saves overheating the device.  Always try to avoid bending the leads right at the device;  bend them a little way down.

I found Futurelec, which will sell them for 35c in single quantities.

http://www.futurlec.com/Transistors/BD139pr.shtml

I have found Newark to be too expensive.  This might be cheaper!

I'm happy to send a couple - no charge - but it might take a few days and I suspect if sourced from the US would reach you much quicker.

Good luck, keep us posted,

Hugh

mb

AKSA 55 T4
« Reply #3 on: 4 Aug 2003, 01:38 am »
Too bad, Steven.

Sigh... when I saw the topic, I thought that Hugh had just released a new, 4-cylinder turbocharged version of the AKSA 55. Must really be getting bored :?

AKSA

AKSA 55 T4
« Reply #4 on: 4 Aug 2003, 07:38 am »
Mervin,

I am sorry to disappoint!

I would not release such a beast without first talking with you, as you have offered to test drive these beasts as they roll off the line..... :wink:

However, you touch on a great love of mine;  automotive engines.  I keep dreaming of a five cylinder, transverse in line diesel for motorcycles - turbocharged of course.  I feel this would be a most economical method of transport, with adequate smoothness and incredible stump pulling power.  Very nice for an overweight fifty year old as he surfs the northern highways of Australia during the southern winter.

Cheers,

Hugh

U4EA

AKSA 55 T4
« Reply #5 on: 4 Aug 2003, 12:03 pm »
Hugh,

I too  would love a diesel cycle.  But an inline 5?  Man you would have a pretty big beast there.  How about this?  

http://www.ecycle.com/powersports/hybrid.htm

Interesting except there "beta" test requires you buy the bike.

I would be skeptical as who knows if they will be around in 3 or four years when you might need a relay or something.

A big frame may allow for more batteries to power the on board Aspen sound system.  GK1-d...diesel version.  No sparks, but lots of smoke?

AKSA

AKSA 55 T4
« Reply #6 on: 5 Aug 2003, 10:40 pm »
Hi Jeff,

Not so wide.....  Consider, 62mm bore, 73mm stroke, cylinder center-to-center of 72mm, allowing for 10mm between bores - more than adequate - and a further 30mm at each side, this gives a total width of 410mm, about the same as the current Suzuki and Honda 1200/Fireblade.

The smaller bore, with water cooling, enables intercylinder temps to be kept well under control, and the undersquare cylinder dimension of 62/73 gives you 1102 ccs from five pots, large enough with 8lbs of boost to deliver about 80 very smooth and ultratorquey HP.  This is a similar output to the Valkyrie, with its imposing but bulky 1832cc flat six.  You would use a 4V head, double cams, with five head studs per cylinder (like a Chevy 350CID), and gun for a maximum engine speed of about 5,500, no more as diesels don't like to rev.  The long stroke allows very tall gearing, with fuel economy easily topping 90mpg at 55mph running 2,500rpm.

Not too sure about electric bikes just yet.  The problem is battery technology.  You need lead acids weighing 2800 kgs to store the same energy as 20 litres of gasoline.  This ain't too favorable, and hybrids are the only option.  I don't know about you, but I have a problem with single cylinder MC engines;  just not enough smoothness and very agricultural.  Even Honda's VTX1800 with its two outrageous 900cc cylinders and balance shaft technology to defy Isaac Newton still rattles and bangs and feels, well, unrefined.  I rode one, and while it performs like a Pershing missile on the tarmac, when pressing on was rough and felt a little crude.

Sorry, I digress.......  Back to the GK-1R metalwork!   :oops:

Cheers,

Hugh

Seano

AKSA 55 T4
« Reply #7 on: 7 Aug 2003, 12:30 am »
Hugh
I'm glad you explained your thoughts on a inline 5 cyl diesel bike engine.  At first drop I had visions of strapping myself to a bike which had the BMW derived 2.5L TD5 motor from Land Rover wedged into it.

Very ugly thought. :wink:

Mind you, ask a BMW bike engineer about an inline 5 cyl diesel on a touring bike and I'm sure you'd be there for days........