Finishing the AV-3s

LouD

Finishing the AV-3s
« on: 2 Aug 2003, 08:02 pm »
Well, I just completed the AV-3 cabinets (Whew!), but haven't finished them or routed the corners.  Never did veneer before.  Faux leather finish looked pretty good on the AV-1s.   Shall I try a new adventure with veneer?   What the worst thing that can go wrong?

jjb

Finishing the AV-3s
« Reply #1 on: 2 Aug 2003, 09:01 pm »
go with the veneer, use enough glue and take your time. My a/v-3 have a cherry veneer with a poly finish, cherry develops a warm dark color over time as it is light reactive.

LouD

Cherry is cool
« Reply #2 on: 4 Aug 2003, 08:54 pm »
My mothner's kitchen cabs were cherry...this is many years ago, and the natural graun of the wood was stunning.   do you use oil or water based poly?  I think I read somewhere Audio Express that oil-based is best for the first coat, to bring out the grain, followed by multiple coats of water based, which dries quickly.

jjb

Finishing the AV-3s
« Reply #3 on: 5 Aug 2003, 02:21 am »
Never use oil & water (remember they don't mix) oil or water base poly yield about the same result allowing the natural cherry to develop and as I indicated the patina will darken overtime, good luck  :oops:

Hank

• http://www.geocities.com/hankbond1/index
Finishing the AV-3s
« Reply #4 on: 2 Sep 2003, 01:33 pm »
Go for veneer.  Apply some to scrap MDF to gain self-confidence.   BTW, I just started assembling my A/V-3's and am still contemplating which wood veneer to use, though I'm leaning toward rosewood.