What speakers did you replace?

SCompRacer

Re: What speakers did you replace?
« Reply #120 on: 20 Nov 2013, 01:55 am »
I've heard the Kayas and talk about a small sweet spot - but in that spot was a definite wow!

True that!

I like your panel stands SCompRacer.  So do those actually balance on there without any fear of tip over or do you also have them secured to the wall somehow?

Thanks Kinger! I host a music meet every now and then. I do a south and west wall setup depending on size, so I made stands instead of hanging on wall. We also have a cat. I need to take the treatments down after listening or he will bound off the behind speaker trap and jump on the stacked Tri Traps (8 feet high). Then the wife can't get him down and we all know where that is headed...lol

Here is kind of a close up. The tops are offest the amount the floor mouldings stick out from wall. The GIK's have a wood frame so they sit well. I also cut some slots to keep cables separate. That also makes it easier to clean under the cables.

rocker9999

« Reply #121 on: 24 Sep 2014, 10:46 pm »
Did anyone out there have Sonus Faber speakers or consider comparing some of the Sonus Faber speakers to the Salk's?

Austin08

« Reply #122 on: 24 Sep 2014, 11:42 pm »
Did anyone out there have Sonus Faber speakers or consider comparing some of the Sonus Faber speakers to the Salk's?

Check page 6 of this thread.

robcentola

« Reply #123 on: 29 Sep 2014, 08:23 pm »
"standard" SongTowers moved swiftly to Veracity SongTowers. :)

Will be at my door tomorrow!

Airborn

« Reply #124 on: 15 Dec 2014, 10:01 am »
Replaced these AV123 Strata Mini speakers and Butler TDB 3150 amp with SAS 10A pre:

With these Salk Sound Veracity HT3's and Ncore NC 400 mono amps with W4S STP-SE pre:

Audiophonicshz

« Reply #125 on: 20 Dec 2014, 07:58 am »
This thread has been such a treat to read.  I'm seriously thinking about replacing my Paradigm Signature front soundstage with the Soundscape system.  I currently have a pair of S6s, and a C5 front.  I'll replace them with the SS8s and the Soundscape C8.  What do you all think of how the two systems compare?  Above all I enjoy the beryllium tweeter that the Paradigm sigs have. Its a very sweet sound but I feel that they are a bit clinical/lack body and warmth.  Do the Salks fare well in those areas?  Any insights would be greatly appreciated!

Rocket

« Reply #126 on: 20 Dec 2014, 08:47 am »
Hi,

I've been very happy with Salk Sound HT2's and in 2013 I upgraded to HT3's.  I think you really need to have a listen to the Soundscape SS8s, perhaps, at a show which Jim attends or listen to them locally. 

Cheers Rod

fearsome

« Reply #127 on: 6 Apr 2015, 04:08 pm »
Hi,
I replaced my SV Sound MTS 01 towers with a pair of Salk Songs (without the ribbon tweeters). The SV's were quite good, but not in the same class as the Songs. I'm glad I got them!

Don480

« Reply #128 on: 1 Jun 2015, 06:17 pm »
True that!

Thanks Kinger! I host a music meet every now and then. I do a south and west wall setup depending on size, so I made stands instead of hanging on wall. We also have a cat. I need to take the treatments down after listening or he will bound off the behind speaker trap and jump on the stacked Tri Traps (8 feet high). Then the wife can't get him down and we all know where that is headed...lol

Hi, I am curious if you have tried mounting the acoustic treatments higher and what kind of results you got?  I currently have mine higher only because that was what I was advised at the time and not really digging what the panels are doing to my highs.  Thanks!

Here is kind of a close up. The tops are offest the amount the floor mouldings stick out from wall. The GIK's have a wood frame so they sit well. I also cut some slots to keep cables separate. That also makes it easier to clean under the cables.

SCompRacer

« Reply #129 on: 1 Jun 2015, 07:36 pm »
Hi, I am curious if you have tried mounting the acoustic treatments higher and what kind of results you got?  I currently have mine higher only because that was what I was advised at the time and not really digging what the panels are doing to my highs.  Thanks!

Greetings Don. I've never tried mounting them higher. Matter of fact shortly after posting that pic I removed the treatments directly behind the speakers. I had performed a room sweep and found a few dB mid range drop. Removing the panels behind the speaker restored the mids.

The SS8's are on the long wall open to the main level. Ceilings are 14', like 10,000 cubic feet for main level. This room behaves differently than enclosed rooms with walls close to both speakers. The two 12" subs are now also between the speakers and close to the wall so the 25-35Hz frequencies arrive at listening position. I really need 15" subs for the size of space, but don't play the low stuff enough to spend the coin I guess (pipe organ, dubstep). I'd love to have the 25-35Hz +- 3dB.

WGH

« Reply #130 on: 1 Jun 2015, 08:23 pm »
The Salk HT2-TL's replaced the Von Schweikert VR2's. The design is similar: 2 woofers, 1 tweeter in a quarter length transmission line design. Even though I modded the Von Schweikert's to the max squeezing every ounce of performance out of them the sound quality of the Salk's was easily head and shoulders above the VR2's in every aspect from tight bass, clear treble, imaging, midrange and cabinet fit and finish.

Wayne

knucklehead

« Reply #131 on: 21 Jun 2015, 03:56 am »
Hey everyone! My name is Ken and I have a pair of SongTowers. I might as well make my first post here answering the question of this thread - how did I come to owning Salk speakers?

My last tower speakers were the Emotiva ERT 8.3. A very good speaker in 2009 when I bought them. For 6 years I enjoyed them - its a very nice sounding speaker but do need a sub to round out the audio spectrum - that had always bothered me about so-called full range speakers. They replaced a pair of 10 year old Infinity IL40 tower speakers that I owned since new. They were 'ok' but I've heard better and decided to find something else. Which is where the ERTs came into the picture. The ERT's were a step up from the IL40's which never had that mid-bass intensity that the ERT's had. Both speakers were very good in the tweeter department. When I sold the ERT's last fall (2014) I had decided to use a pair of Emotiva ERM 6.2 bookshelf speakers and integrate them to a pair of (IMO) very good DIY 12" subs - seemed like a great idea - I could set the bookshelf speakers on the subs. That didn't work out so well - integrating two subs with bookshelf speakers is not as easy as it might seem. I'm picky when it comes to natural sounding bass - I hate 'enhanced' or 'double bass - some people like it - I do not. I decided I needed to go back to a tower speaker - specifically one that did not need a sub to 'help' them.

When a pair of used SongTowers with the OW2 tweeter came up on the Emotiva Lounge I was interested. I had already read Nuance's thread over at AVS. I have to say I was skeptical about the claims of a pair of 5" woofers making good bass response even after reading so many reviews. I'm no longer a skeptic. I decided to give them a try  anyway since the price was certainly right - and the option of buying the custom made Selah Audio 3 way center with them for 'cheap' (I'm a cheap bastard!) helped push me towards the purchase. I made the deal and 'oops' - I got an email from the seller - he'd had an accident with the L/H speaker - it would need repair and did I want to go through with it if it were sent to Salk for repair. I did. I have to say that the repair looks perfect - a crushed corner can't be easy to fix but Jim's crew is very good - I could find nothing that indicated that corner had ever been repaired. I'm mightily impressed with the fit and finish of these 4.5 year old speakers. They are finished in fireburst over curly cherry and look outstanding.

I did something with these speakers I seldom do with ANYTHING I buy - I tossed the packing boxes - these speakers aren't going anywhere! They are fantastic sounding. I am amazed at the highly refined mid and low bass on these speakers. I get a stupid grin on my face every time I fire up the preamp/amp and sit down for a listening session. It is so nice to have a pair of speakers that don't need to be paired up with a sub or two to make them sound right. I drive these Song Towers with an Emotiva XSP-1 preamp and an old but very good sounding Onkyo/Integra M-504 stereo amp. Its a dual mono design - the only thing the two channels share is the chassis and the 110v line in. Oh - and it has some really beautiful green watt meters.

ccssid

« Reply #132 on: 12 Jul 2015, 02:40 am »
Had Wilson watt III / Puppy II.  Replaced with Salk S.S.8.....  Wonderful improvement with my room setup.  And more Importantly: WAF.  She loves Jim's finishes.

desertrider

« Reply #133 on: 10 Jul 2016, 04:30 pm »
Hey guys. My decision to purchase Salks was about a year in the making, but was accelerated 4 months ago when wifey and I decided to sell our house and buy new. The new build allowed me to do a proper Atmos setup (getting 4 pre-wires done in the ceiling) and a couple extra sub runs from the back of the room when/if I decide to get a second sub. Sooo, I started auditioning about 1-2 pairs per week. I listened to everything I possibly could, and continually being disappointed (surprisingly, to me at least). A few brands I just didnt care for, including B&W's (CM10's up to 803 Diamonds). After many auditions, the only pair that really sounded nice to me were the Sonus Faber Venere 3.0 and the Olympica series. but...THE PRICE! Couldnt justify it with wifey.

Ive been a member at AVS  Forum and a lurker at Audioholics and here for quite some time. And the one speaker that always has bugged me was the Salks. Ive not read one bad review, and Jim has settled himself in the hifi world as a master. Sooooo....I pulled the trigger like most of you all, un-auditioned. Ordered a pair of Song3's and a Songcenter RT. Right now theyre about 50% done. The funny thing, with all of the cabinet options the ONLY one wifey would agree to is silk black LOL. She said it will match the rest of your gear. OK, OK, twist my arm lol.

Im not replacing as nice of speakers as many of you, a pair of Polk RTI10's and a CSIA6 center. I think this is a major upgrade! The new Salks will be powered by an Emotive XPA 2, and XPA 200 for the center.

Excited to be part of the Salk family!

Miney

• Free your mind... and your ass will follow
« Reply #134 on: 21 Dec 2016, 12:15 am »
These SilkTowers (adopted from a loving home; thanks mintchris!) replaced a 13 year-old pair of B&W CDM7-NTs....

note: they're really not so orange - lighting is low, and iPhone camera used).

Executive Summary:  Not a fair fight....  The SilkTowers knocked the B&Ws out of the park.

I bought these sight and sound unseen after several years of drooling on this forum.  Now that they're in my house, the looks alone more than justify the price... but as soon as the needle drops POOF they disappear, wrapping the music completely around my soul.  Incredibly clean and clear, top to bottom.  And speaking of bottom, much more punch. Awash with detail, each instrument is incredibly distinct.  And yes, true to the source.

Anyhoo.... happy to demo them to prospective Salk buyers (zip 19565). I'd also recommend a visit to Jim's shop... meeting he and Mary was even more priceless than seeing and hearing the magic of his ways.

Cheers!
Paul

Big Red Machine

« Reply #135 on: 21 Dec 2016, 01:09 am »
This is what is sad about the mainstream audio followers: a Salk speaker is so much better than so many mass marketed speakers it isn't even funny. Not the best speakers on the planet, and not intended to be, but so much better than speakers 2x and 3x the price. Get the word out. Let's make Jim a millionaire!! :thumb:

putz

« Reply #136 on: 21 Dec 2016, 01:46 am »
These SilkTowers (adopted from a loving home; thanks mintchris!) replaced a 13 year-old pair of B&W CDM7-NTs....

Love the finish on these. Now you need to match the molding to it. It will complete the room.

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #137 on: 21 Dec 2016, 02:11 am »

Executive Summary:  Not a fair fight....  The SilkTowers knocked the B&Ws out of the park.

I bought these sight and sound unseen after several years of drooling on this forum.  Now that they're in my house, the looks alone more than justify the price... but as soon as the needle drops POOF they disappear, wrapping the music completely around my soul.  Incredibly clean and clear, top to bottom.  And speaking of bottom, much more punch. Awash with detail, each instrument is incredibly distinct.  And yes, true to the source.

Anyhoo.... happy to demo them to prospective Salk buyers (zip 19565). I'd also recommend a visit to Jim's shop... meeting he and Mary was even more priceless than seeing and hearing the magic of his ways.

Cheers!
Paul

Paul,

What veneer was used for these speakers? I just love burls and other similar woods.

JerryM

• Where's The Bar?
« Reply #138 on: 21 Dec 2016, 02:55 am »
Paul,

What veneer was used for these speakers? I just love burls and other similar woods.

Michael,

Check out this Thread.

screener

« Reply #139 on: 22 Dec 2017, 12:22 am »
I'm sitting here admiring the finish on my Veracity ST. They replaced a pair of Songtowers RT I purchased in 2010. The Veracitys arrived 2 years ago.
A little late to the party but heh it's the Holidays.

Enjoy everyone.