How do I test the phono stage of my preamp?

Big Red Machine

How do I test the phono stage of my preamp?
« on: 16 Apr 2007, 12:58 pm »
Manual says that a TT needs to have at least 1.4mv to properly power the preamp.  I have a VOM but what do I measure?  I only have a 20 year old Technics direct drive with a Shure Type 4 V15 cart.  Right now it sounds great but has very little gain.

TheChairGuy

Re: How do I test the phono stage of my preamp?
« Reply #1 on: 16 Apr 2007, 01:59 pm »
I think all the Shure V15's had in excess of 3mv.....plenty enough for your particular (phono) preamp

More info on Shure's here: www.cartridgedb.com

Big Red Machine

« Reply #2 on: 16 Apr 2007, 04:30 pm »
Can I actually measure it with a VOM?

And why would my volume level be so slow?  Not enough from the TT output or something in the preamp limiting it?

Toka

« Reply #3 on: 16 Apr 2007, 05:06 pm »
Does the phono input of your preamp have adjustable settings? If so, how are they currently set?

Big Red Machine

« Reply #4 on: 16 Apr 2007, 10:12 pm »
Only set up for MM cartridges.  My TT output is extremely low so no wonder the pre can't do much more thaqn amplify a very low signal into a low signal.  My CDP has decent output and it tracks as it should with the volume level.  My guessis the TT is the issue.

Listens2tubes

« Reply #5 on: 20 Apr 2007, 11:59 pm »
This was the same complaint I had with the 2.5mV output of the Dynavector 10X5. :duh: I'd have the volume at 1-2 o'clock to get the same sound level as with my old Grado cart set at 10-11 o'clock. At such high volume levels you're getting into other nasties too.  :cuss: Ended up with a Karat 17D2MKII at .26mV into a pair of Orofon 10-5 transformers with 26db of gain. Now you want to hear fast, dynamic wide and deep?  :thumb: All that's left is getting the VTA on the fly (VTAF)  set up and then you got it all!  aa  Enjoy!