Last Call For Alcohol, err...Ultimate Mundorf Upgrades

Aether Audio

• Industry Participant
    • http://www.aetheraudio.com
OK Guys,

I'm going to be putting the parts order together soon.  If anybody else out there is interested in doing this on this first go around, you better let me know soon.  If not, it's going to be a while before we get around to doing this again as we have regular production to take care of.  On top of that I'm going part time for a while in the not too distant future to work on my house and start another little project. 

In addition... once I'm ready to place the order I'll be asking for your down payments.  Since these darn things are so expensive I haven't built very much margin into the cost.  I'd rather have a few systems out there as showcases to generate future sales than focus on any profits right now.  Besides, I figured that if they cost any more, it would scare everybody off.  We're not exactly Wilson Audio, you know. :roll:

That being the case, I'm going to need more than the typical 50% down or otherwise I won't have enough money left to buy the other materials.  I figure somewhere around 70% will do.  I had originally thought 50% would do, but I hadn't crunched all the numbers when I mentioned that (can't remember who I told that to now though :duh:).  I hate to ask but my banker just points and laughs when I walk in his door. :(  Let me know.

-Bob
« Last Edit: 20 Apr 2007, 12:25 pm by SP Pres »

TomS

Re: Last Call For Alcohol, err...Ultimate Mundorf Upgrades
« Reply #1 on: 13 Apr 2007, 01:10 am »
Bob,

Maybe I missed it, but can you attempt to clarify what is now "standard" Mundorf that's now included in the "base" price (?) vs. the other levels and what that does to the cost?  It seems like Karsten's had a few variations of "better than evers" (which is good) such that I've lost track.   :?  I know the high zoot one is $1400/speaker but are there other more modest levels?

Tom

Carl V

« Reply #2 on: 13 Apr 2007, 01:22 am »
any benefits for your AV2 Presnce Speaker?

Double Ugly

« Reply #3 on: 13 Apr 2007, 03:17 am »
Bob,

Maybe I missed it, but can you attempt to clarify what is now "standard" Mundorf that's now included in the "base" price (?) vs. the other levels and what that does to the cost?  It seems like Karsten's had a few variations of "better than evers" (which is good) such that I've lost track.   :?  I know the high zoot one is $1400/speaker but are there other more modest levels?

Tom

I'm sure Bob will correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the "base" price does now include "standard" Mundorf pieces and parts, including the upgraded coil.

-Jim

Aether Audio

• Industry Participant
    • http://www.aetheraudio.com
« Reply #4 on: 13 Apr 2007, 03:54 am »
Tom,

Well, it looks like we sort of got roped into 3 versions.  Mundorf has more grades of parts than you can imagine.  I've never seen one company offer so many forms and levels.

Anyway, the first is all Mundorf parts that are included in the product pricing, i.e., the "standard" crossover.  It uses all good stuff but with midgrade (Mcaps) caps bypassed with a .1uF Supreme (not the silver-gold though...3rd rung down) and a "next to the top of the line" woofer coil.  That damn thing alone is massive and I had a hell of a time fitting it and the rest of the parts on the 5.25" X 8.25" board that goes inside the enclosure.

Then there's now become a mid level.  It uses the best coils but still the midgrade caps that are bypassed.  I can't remember the final price right now though and I'm at home now.  I've had so many numbers running through my head lately I can't keep them straight.  I'll get back on this one.  Regardless, because of the larger coils we're building it on the same size board as the ultimate so it can easily be swapped out later on.

Finally, there's the $1,400.00 ultimate we all know and crave.

No matter what you buy, stock or custom - everything is made with all Mundorf.  Hope this helps.

Carl,

Well, if Karsten isn't actually off his nut, I can't see how there couldn't be.  If your interested, PM or whatever and we'll look into it.

G-Night guys 8)
-Bob