Bose reviewed interesting info

ctviggen

Re: Bose reviewed interesting info
« Reply #20 on: 23 Apr 2007, 11:36 am »
Although I'm a Bose hater, I do have to admit that their presentation in stores actually sounds good at first blush.   Also, I do like their wave radio, although it should sell for around $100 or less and not $600.

JohnR

« Reply #21 on: 23 Apr 2007, 12:02 pm »
I didn't actually read the article or the thread (don't you hate that! :lol: ) but.... I don't think I've ever heard a Bose system that made me want to run from the room screaming with hands over ears. "Hifi" systems, on the other hand... yes it has happened :shock:

yeldarb

« Reply #22 on: 23 Apr 2007, 07:48 pm »
Back in the late 70's, I worked in retail audio.  My boss picked up Bose to sell and when we got our initial order, included was the "world renowned" 901.  We moved those speakers from place to place in two totally different listening areas trying to find a "sweet spot".  They sucked everywhere.

My boss called Bose and they dispatched two engineers, who had no better luck than we trying to get some decent sound out of them.  They left with the 901s.  We sold a lot of 201 and 501 but never touched the biggies again.

Bose at the time also had an amp that was specified "from 20 Hz to 10K Hz".  Bose's point was that the second distortion harmonic was outside of 20K so why bother. Probably likely that the amp distorted high frequencies like crazy, too, and was just perfect with those 901.

On the whole, the house brand speakers we sold, were better than the Bose, and you wouldn't believe how little they cost.  I still think Bose are ridiculously priced low line products.  Beware anyone who asks "what do you think of Bose?".  Usually they have already bought it and are looking for some positive reinforcement because they are starting to realize they paid $350+ for what is essentially a clock radio.

Audio-fiilis

« Reply #23 on: 23 Apr 2007, 08:41 pm »
When you are talking about Bose, remember the patents. Bose has a strong record in patents, which makes it a strong player when it comes to getting investors. See the marketing budget.

It is sad that the investors do not have any comptence whatsoever to read the patents and see what they are made of. Manufacturers of good loudspeakers very seldom have anything to pay for Bose. Maybe that tells somebody something. To me, of course, it tells nothing.

For Google searches: patent, Bose, reliable, useful, meaningful, HiFi, reproduction, audio, quality, sound, loudspeaker.

ctviggen

« Reply #24 on: 23 Apr 2007, 09:24 pm »
Beware anyone who asks "what do you think of Bose?".  Usually they have already bought it and are looking for some positive reinforcement because they are starting to realize they paid $350+ for what is essentially a clock radio.

You're right about that!  My wife was at a party putting down Bose (because of me), and it turns out that someone had a wave radio they loved.  That turned into an interesting conversation.