Mac Mini Memory Requirements

8thnerve

Mac Mini Memory Requirements
« on: 9 Apr 2007, 03:31 pm »
I'm setting up a music system using a new Mac Mini into a Bel Canto DAC3 via USB.  It seems like the 512 isn't cutting it with my 65,000 songs.  Will 1.25 GB do it, or do I need to go to the full 2GB?

Any suggestions for getting to all this music quickly through front row?  It doesn't seem to accept keystrokes to skip down the list.  That's a bummer...

Thanks!

PhilNYC

Re: Mac Mini Memory Requirements
« Reply #1 on: 9 Apr 2007, 03:33 pm »
I have an eMac with 1GB memory, and feel like I could use more.  Go with the 2MB if you can afford it...

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #2 on: 9 Apr 2007, 03:48 pm »
Each CD will take about 650k uncompressed or 400k loselessly compressed using FLAC.

You have about 5500 CDs worth of music.  That would require 3500 GB of harddrive uncompressed or 2200 GB using FLAC.  Welcome to the big leagues and start looking into Network Attached Storage devices (NAS) that hold several large harddrives.

PhilNYC

« Reply #3 on: 9 Apr 2007, 03:56 pm »
I think he was asking about RAM, not hard drive storage...

clar2391

« Reply #4 on: 9 Apr 2007, 04:01 pm »
I have almost the same setup...a Mac Mini with 512MB RAM.  If I had it to do over again I would get at least 2GB of RAM.  The mini seems RAM starved for just about any task that I do on it, iTunes included.  I get the rotating beach ball a lot, which I assume means that it's waiting for a resource.

BTW, I'm also going via USB from the Mac to a Bel Canto DAC3, and I love it!

John Ashman

• http://forum.adnm.com
« Reply #5 on: 9 Apr 2007, 08:12 pm »
Ditto.  These things should come stock with 1GB and have 2GB as the option.  New Egg has 2GB ram kits for about $150 or so.  You can do regular memory on the PowerPC models, but you have to do notebook on the Intel ones. 

8thnerve

« Reply #6 on: 10 Apr 2007, 02:51 pm »
Ditto.  These things should come stock with 1GB and have 2GB as the option.  New Egg has 2GB ram kits for about $150 or so.  You can do regular memory on the PowerPC models, but you have to do notebook on the Intel ones. 

Crap!  I wish I knew you could get it from NewEgg!  I just bought a 1GB stick and replaced one of the 256 sticks, so I'm at about 1.25GB now.  Much faster, much smoother, and less wait.  I still have some CDs to go, but so far I am using Apple Lossless and am using about 1.4TB.  I have 3 500GB external USB2 drives.

I've heard some complaints about Apple Lossless.  Can people still tell the difference between WAV and ALAC?  What's the difference between AIFF and WAV other than that they are an Apple and MS type file?

Thanks!