Favorite mini-monitors?

TerryO

Re: Favorite mini-monitors?
« Reply #80 on: 30 Jun 2007, 05:41 pm »
My favorite Mini-monitors under a $1000 are my Rosgaard DR-1's. They aren't the ultimate in any one area, but they do so many things so well that I'm not tempted to trade up, although I understand that a slightly better tweeter may be in the works. They utilize a series crossover designed using Rosgaard's proprietary software and the speaker cabinet is tuned to 65 Hz. I'm not sure what Dave Rosgaard charges for a pair as I built my own from his design (and yes, we're buddies :thumb: ).
I might add that they placed 2nd overall (Best of Show) in last years "The Puget Sound! DIY Speaker Contest" in Seattle as well as a 1st place in the kit catagory. I might add that Dave Rosgaard also took best 2-way design, best 3-way design and best of show at the contest 3 years ago.
Best Regards,
TerryO

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
  • James Romeyn Music and Audio, LLC
    • James Romeyn Music and Audio, LLC
« Reply #81 on: 30 Jun 2007, 07:12 pm »
Purely in aesthetic terms the Diapasons kill everything everyone has mentioned here so far,

Where do you guys get off saying stuff like this?...

Jeff
With all due respect, the text "you guys" implies or states emphatically that more than one person wrote the quoted words, & that you are addressing multiples of writers not one.  In actuality you quoted one person, not multiples.  "...stuff like this..." doesn't make the implication OK because there is always some level of commonality unless statements are diametrically oppossed &/or mutually exclusive.  Almost any two things or statements can be compared if the brush stroke is wide enough.

It might have been more accurate to simply state that you were offended by the above statement, or you disagree w/ it, or you find it flatly impossible to believe.   

TONEPUB

« Reply #82 on: 30 Jun 2007, 08:11 pm »
Jim:

Good point, well taken.  I guess I meant it generically because I hear
that line all the time....

Sometimes I freak out and get unreasonable too!!

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #83 on: 30 Jun 2007, 10:24 pm »
IMO the term "mini-monitors" implies an analytical nature and lack of deep bass.  The word "monitor" connects me to studio work.  Along that line of thought the ultimate example has already been mentioned IME, the PMC AML-1.  The "problem" with this type of highly accurate (and active) speaker is that most audiophiles aren't seeking the truth and aren't ready to give up part of the chase of matching speakers to amps.  Most monitors are also designed to help minimize room effects with less bass output and tone controls, again taking away some "audio hunting".

The term "standmounted speakers" would open up the field to any smaller speaker meant to be installed in free space.

TONEPUB

« Reply #84 on: 30 Jun 2007, 10:27 pm »
I like that term a lot!

Can I use that one?

JLM

« Reply #85 on: 1 Jul 2007, 12:05 am »
Why not, it's way past "1984", and I'm not vocabulary limited.

grsimmon

• Restricted
  • Omni - the best way forward
« Reply #86 on: 1 Jul 2007, 01:39 am »
Along that line of thought the ultimate example has already been mentioned IME, the PMC AML-1.  The "problem" with this type of highly accurate (and active) speaker is that most audiophiles aren't seeking the truth and aren't ready to give up part of the chase of matching speakers to amps. 

Ohhh boy,  I'm guessing you might catch hell for that one :lol: - you are a brave brave person.   Anyways,  I recently wrote to McIntosh asking if they had any plans (or might be convinced) to develop active speakers (not including subs).   In summary,  they wrote back saying they love the benefits of active speakers,  but no,  they have no plans to pursue actives because they don't sell well enough.   Too bad.   At least for the short term,  they were my last hope.   I figured they would be a great candidate due to their experience with all necessary ingredients for an active, plus a little room for experimentation (for you audiophiles - imagine an active speaker using tubes?)

china

« Reply #87 on: 1 Jul 2007, 06:13 am »
Hello Audio Circle,

This recommendation is for "mini monitors" that "exceed" the one thousand dollar cost. I know that the original topic stated "below" one thousand dollars. But after reading the thread and the talk or chat about other speakers that exceeded the thousand dollar mark. I have no calms or regrets about this recommendation.
  As it appears that this particular topic is for the United States more so than for the world??
  It is also to be taken with a grain of salt as I have a vested interest in the recommendation. I represent this line of loudspeakers here in mainland China and as such do not sell outside of the mainland of China.

It is the Mark & Daniel Audio Lab.  The "Mark & Daniel Ruby". The drawback is that it needs lots of power or so one would think. I am using the Shuguang S8 to drive it and to my ears it sounds fantastic. The magic of the speaker is that it sounds good with all types of music. The "ruby" lets the "essence of the music" through. While there is not earth shaking organ bass with the "ruby".
  There is bass none the less. Just some food for thought. For additional information try the "Mark and Daniel" website.

As always, all the best, from China.

JLM

« Reply #88 on: 1 Jul 2007, 08:17 am »
grsimmon,

Yes, the PMC AML-1 was your recommendation first.  Compared to what some spend on passive speakers plus amps plus speaker cable, the cost isn't out of line.

I've said this before, but one of my audio ephiphanies was auditioning Paradigm Studio 20s ($600/pair) versus Active 20s ($1,600/pair).  Both were small 2-way standmounts using the same drivers, but thats where any comparison ended.  The Actives were flatter, much more dynamic, and had unbelievably deep full bass.  Nay-sayers of single driver speakers (which are active by default) should listen to actives first.

I recently asked a couple of manufacturers here why they didn't develop active speakers.  They both indicated technical difficulties, but as you (and Srajan Ebaen) have stated, the audio community as a whole want the romance of the hunt and etheral aspects of the music more than accuracy.

eric the red

« Reply #89 on: 1 Jul 2007, 08:42 am »
Platinum Audio Solos
Reynaud Twins
Have owned 'em both and they sing

Kevin Haskins

« Reply #90 on: 1 Jul 2007, 03:34 pm »
grsimmon,

Yes, the PMC AML-1 was your recommendation first.  Compared to what some spend on passive speakers plus amps plus speaker cable, the cost isn't out of line.

I've said this before, but one of my audio ephiphanies was auditioning Paradigm Studio 20s ($600/pair) versus Active 20s ($1,600/pair).  Both were small 2-way standmounts using the same drivers, but thats where any comparison ended.  The Actives were flatter, much more dynamic, and had unbelievably deep full bass.  Nay-sayers of single driver speakers (which are active by default) should listen to actives first.

I recently asked a couple of manufacturers here why they didn't develop active speakers.  They both indicated technical difficulties, but as you (and Srajan Ebaen) have stated, the audio community as a whole want the romance of the hunt and etheral aspects of the music more than accuracy.

I have a hard time believing that technical difficulties are an issue.   Its as easy if not easier than designing a passive network.   The other part is just an amplifier.    I'd say the biggest reason manufactures don't do it is because they don't sell.    It is as simple as that.   Most audiophile consumers are stuck in the paradigm of buying a source, preamp, amplifier, and loudspeakers.   Then of course you cannot forget the most important component, the cables!   ;-)   If you already have an amplifier you like, then buying active loudspeakers won't even make your list of components to consider.

I'm developing some active designs for my loudspeakers simply because..... I want to.   I like some of the extra engineering tricks it allows me to use.   I also have an configurable software based analog signal processing solution that I'm keen to show off.

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #91 on: 1 Jul 2007, 04:17 pm »

you mean something like these?

http://www.kendrick-amplifiers.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=KOS&Product_Code=MONOB01

i have seen others like this, direct from china, for quite a bit less money...

doug s.
...(for you audiophiles - imagine an active speaker using tubes?)

TerryO

« Reply #92 on: 1 Jul 2007, 05:08 pm »
grsimmon,

I have a hard time believing that technical difficulties are an issue.   Its as easy if not easier than designing a passive network.   The other part is just an amplifier.    I'd say the biggest reason manufactures don't do it is because they don't sell.    It is as simple as that.   Most audiophile consumers are stuck in the paradigm of buying a source, preamp, amplifier, and loudspeakers.   Then of course you cannot forget the most important component, the cables!   ;-)   If you already have an amplifier you like, then buying active loudspeakers won't even make your list of components to consider.

I'm developing some active designs for my loudspeakers simply because..... I want to.   I like some of the extra engineering tricks it allows me to use.   I also have an configurable software based analog signal processing solution that I'm keen to show off.

Mr. Haskins, et al:

There may be some truth to what you say, but I defy anyone to come up with anything that remotely sounds like my Optimus Monoclocks powering SOTA Radio Shack full range speakers. It still amazes some that the sound that they're hearing from my speakers is the result of modelling the TS parameters with a calibrated, reference level Ouija Board. I could go on, but so much of my advanced design protocol (ADP) is proprietary, that I've probably said too much as it is. I think that it's sufficient to say that when I play a Boxcar Willy CD that listeners are astounded, some with a mute look of shock, others gasping. It becomes patently clear that these so-called "Audiophiles" with their fancy Krells and Eidolan or Kharmas are witnessing something they've never heard before.

Best Regards,
TerryO
(CEO and Lead Engineer)
Honest Olson's Ultra-Fi Emporium and Laundromat

Val

« Reply #93 on: 1 Jul 2007, 05:44 pm »
Just to keep bringing back good memories:

B&W DM4
Rauna Tyr

New good ones keep coming:

Wilson Benesch Square One (supposedly better than the B&W 805s)
LSA1 and LSA1 Signature
Mark & Daniel Ruby, Sapphire
My own ACI Sapphire XL, of course.
« Last Edit: 1 Jul 2007, 05:55 pm by Val »

grsimmon

• Restricted
  • Omni - the best way forward
« Reply #94 on: 1 Jul 2007, 06:49 pm »
Ok,  2  more. 

Definitive Technology,   PowerMonitor series (500, 700, and 900 with the 500 being pretty darn small).   My apologies if somebody already mentioned these.

These speakers have built in powered subs in each,  with bass output adjustment on the rear panels.  These are a nice compromise if you want a small speaker with full sound,   but still want to use your own amp to drive most of your listening frequencies.   For the "everyman"  these speakers may be great and make someone very happy.  For those who aren't crazy about Def Tech,  they may be a consideration for a 2nd system, summer cottage,   kid going to college, etc. 

Another is Barefoot,   I believe these are fully active.   Comments on othere forums seem to be very positive, often downright gushing.   
I recently wrote to the manufacturer to find out about warranty information,  and never heard back  :nono:  so I won't be pursuing these.   But another choice for those who are searching.

srlaudio

• Industry Participant
    • SRL Acoustics
« Reply #95 on: 15 Oct 2007, 01:55 am »
Here is another 2 cents worth.....

ridiculously cheap:  Wharfedale Diamond 8.2 ProActive

ridiculously accurate:  SLS S8R passive

Zero

« Reply #96 on: 15 Oct 2007, 03:17 am »
I've always had an affinity for compact monitors. Most of this familiarity is by proxy, as my listening space is ideal for most smaller two-way designs. That said, 2007 has been a very special year for me in regards to hi-fi. Now that I've put on a more critical hat - I've had a lot of exposure to a lot of great gear! It's been a lot of fun! A lot of the gear I've reviewed has been compact two-way monitors. Narrowing down my favorites is nearly impossible (be it products used or otherwise). Just the same, there are a few that stand out in my mind;

Stone Image Audio Rothschilde A2 One of the quickest, most coherent two-way monitors I've come across. An astounding 'value'. One great speaker most will never hear.

ACI Sapphire XL Great jack of all trades speaker. Easy to listen to, rich mid-range, strong bass, great imaging, and versatile. Very few will NOT like this speaker.

Dynaudio Focus 110 / 140 Another great jack of all trades budget speaker that showcases that consumer-direct products do not hold all the cards.

Totem Acoustic The One Taking the legendary Model 1 concept to the absolute limit. This is the kind of speaker you settle down with.

TONEPUB

« Reply #97 on: 15 Oct 2007, 04:06 am »
After spending time at the RMAF, I'd have to add the Usher Tiny Dancer to
my list.  This is one of the best sounding small speakers, I've ever heard.

Very musical, great tonality, way more bottom end than a speaker this
size should have and remarkably dynamic too!  For $2795, they are
KILLER!  We have a review pair coming soon, so Ill keep you all posted...

Hey Doug, is that radar gun from you?  What were you driving?
I got one of those myself about 10 yrs ago, racing an F355 in downtown
Phoenix...

The lady police officer that pulled me over said "I've got you on the gun
at 167, would you like to see it?"  To which I said "hell yeah!"

Probably not the right move at the time....

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #98 on: 15 Oct 2007, 04:51 am »
i have a pair of usher s520's that are hard to beat, at the price.  right up there w/the proac 1sc's, at 1/5 the price.  yust a tad bit behind the proac tablette 8 reference signatures, (as are the 1sc's), imo.

another to ad to the list, are the dillon ego's, sold as kits at zalytron.  i picked up a pair someone else assembled, w/upgrade x-over parts, internal damping & overbuilt cabinets.  fantastic sounding little buggers, w/hiquphon OWll tweets, & focal utopia w-cone midwoofers.

http://zalytron.com/HiqKits.htm

no, tone, i wasn't responsible for that radar clocking; the avatar yust came from a pic on the web.  fastest i have ever been was 150, & that was on the track in a hotted up alfa gtv6...

doug s.

EthanH

« Reply #99 on: 15 Oct 2007, 12:26 pm »

Totem Acoustic The One Taking the legendary Model 1 concept to the absolute limit. This is the kind of speaker you settle down with.

What is this "The One" you speak of?   Is it a new model, and how does it fit between the model one sig and mani2? 

I'm intrigued aa