A day at Franks

avahifi

Re: A day at Franks
« Reply #20 on: 1 May 2007, 07:30 pm »
The Longhorn is a phono cartridge, and we have not figured out how to stuff vacuum tubes into one of these yet.  :)

If you mean the phono preamp, it does not use 6N1P tubes.  It uses 12AX7 tubes,  JJ Electric ECC83s versions at this time.

The 6N1P tubes (Sovtec brand) are used in the line sections of the hybrid Ultra preamplifiers and DAC, and the vacuum tube Transcendence Eight preamp.

The 12AX7 tube is optimized for high voltage gain, necessary to follow the RIAA feedback loop correctly.  The 6N1P tube is optimized for high current gain, very useful in driving real world loads.  Each has their useful applications.

Regards,

Frank Van Alstine

Wayner

« Reply #21 on: 1 May 2007, 10:44 pm »
Lazydays

I have some Hubert Laws and Stanley Turrentine as well as some Duke Ellington that all have great dynamic recordings. I think they sound spectatular and I also listen to the sounds of cymbols, the decay of the resonance and deep bass from an upright. I dout you would be disappointed with the phono-section of anyone of Frank's preamps.

W 8)

Wayner

« Reply #22 on: 11 May 2007, 09:10 pm »
Frank,

How often should bias be adjusted on the U70? Or, what I mean is how often should the bias be checked?

W
« Last Edit: 12 May 2007, 04:55 pm by Wayner »

avahifi

« Reply #23 on: 12 May 2007, 10:34 pm »
Take a look at the bias setting every month or so, after the amp has been on for half an hour.  Note that it will vary some with your local AC line voltage.

Regards,

Frank